washing the plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you wash your company's plane?

• Are you kidding? I don't wash my own car!

Votes: 241 66.0%
  • Sometimes if we can't find an "eager" lineman.

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • My official job title-washboy/switchmonkey

Votes: 73 20.0%

• Total voters
Well put, cleaning aircraft is an entry level position. Being responsible for the safety of the CFO,CEO of a company is not.

If you don't understand this concept I have reservations about your judgment, this being said, I know several great pilots stuck in these bad positions(hope they get out soon)!

Cheers either way!

We do light cleaning of our aircraft, such as vacuuming the interior, cleaning the windscreen, and wiping bugs from the leading edge and brightwork after every flight. Might even throw a little wash-and-wax on the nose to make the bugs come off easier next time. With both pilots working on the plane takes 5 minutes to accomplish all that.

We contract out a good cleaning of the plane every 4-6 weeks, having them wash, wax, and detail it.

I have the option to choose who cleans our A/C. I generally do it myself because (believe or not....) I kind of enjoy it. It also allows me to keep a pulse on issues that might be developing. It is a brand new A/C which makes the task much easier. I have a system down which doesn't involve being on a creeper. I bill company for my time in addition to regular salary. $$$ They're happy and so am I.
If I don't feel like doing it ... I hire it out.

As the Chief (and only) pilot for our "flight department" I take it upon myself to wipe down the nacelle after each flight.

Nacelle as in singular = one engine airplane. I use to wash the plane too when I was flying single's dying for flight time... Still love ya though cause your a wildcat

Last edited:
I worked for one of those cheezy, cheap companies when I got my first job as a copilot on a Learjet. When they asked me to wash planes I said my duty day will begin as soon as I come in to start washing it. They never asked me again to wash a plane...lol

If pilots keep letting companies have it both ways it'll never get better.

If you don't want to wash an airplane fine, but at least pick up the peanuts and donut crumbs you've dropped.

Any pilot that thinks he's above washing the airplane is certainly beneath contempt. What a pathetic, arrogant attitude. Some of you have your noses so high in the air, it's snowing on your overvalued brains.

Your company employs someone to do it, fine. Are you better than that person? Is that person lowering themself by washing the airplane? Don't say yes...that person is doing the job you won't step from your lofty position to do. Someone has to do it, right?

With that in mind, don't look so far down on others who DO wash their airplanes. You're not as high up as you think.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back