Wash out rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting there

I have been studying since May 05 for the interview and am planning on blowing $ 3000 this weekend in Oregon looking for fog and rain. I will be sending my apps out in two weeks hoping that I make the cut. I am planning on working the Frasca for two weeks so I can get my call outs right. This weekend I have a FO @ Skywest flying with me in oregon to help me with the CRM and Jepps.

Just tell me that I have preplanned this the right way. I have seen a few people showup for sim training and prep classes the day before the interview hoping that they have not forgot anything. It does make one wonder about thier planning for the interview.

You are now free to smoke about the cabin :eek:)

WhiteCloud said:
The short course is for those current in type or type rated in the aircraft. If you need more time and are working hard you get the time needed. I'd venture a guess that most of the short course people do OK and might not need all the sessions. Logo?

To add on to Whitecloud's post. Yes, we were current and qualified in the CRJ because we were furloughed from Independence Air only 1 week before class started at AWAC. We did 2 weeks of indoc, immediately went to 3 days of recurrent systems with CPT's in the same 3 days. Followed immediately by 6 sims which included a loft and the check ride. All in about 3 1/2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, it was no cake walk. The hardest thing for us Independence guys was learning the new call outs, profiles, and memory items because they were completely different from Independence's. It still was a bit of a firehose for us but we all made it through just fine.

Mojo Risen said:
I have been studying since May 05 for the interview and am planning on blowing $ 3000 this weekend in Oregon looking for fog and rain. I will be sending my apps out in two weeks hoping that I make the cut. I am planning on working the Frasca for two weeks so I can get my call outs right. This weekend I have a FO @ Skywest flying with me in oregon to help me with the CRM and Jepps.

Just tell me that I have preplanned this the right way. I have seen a few people showup for sim training and prep classes the day before the interview hoping that they have not forgot anything. It does make one wonder about thier planning for the interview.

You are now free to smoke about the cabin :eek:)

Where in Oregon?

In my class 4 quit/washed out. The first was lost to Mesaba. The second was lost to the drug test (no marijuana before class folks!). One of my roommates washed out due to problems with the sim and threatening to kick the head of training's ass. That'll generally not go over well. The last one was fired near the end of IOE for having a bad attitude. I've noticed the company will try to help out, but if you have a bad attitude about it, they'll just fire you.

Superpilot92 said:
sims and lack of hitting the books. 2 people out of 32 in my class i think washed out. Some people just burn themselves out and over doing it. So with that said try and have fun also while in training is my advice.

Yup, I'm with him/her on this one. 2 out of 32 washed out in my class due to reasons listed above, and maybe some others.

I can see a short course for those truly current and qualified but a type rating alone does not qualify. AWAC and RAA have some sort of bridge program where students get typed in 10 sim sessions then interview, and if hired at AWAC receive no systems ground school and are only sheduled for 4 sim sessions, If they are not satisfied with your performance after the 4 sessions they let you go. At least offer the full 9 or 10 sessions. I mean these guys have 0 time in type. Why ruin ones future prospects over something like this. I know a couple guys who did that. I guess the bottom line is I feel the airlines should be a little more interested in getting people through training instead of sending them out the door. It's just not right to ruin ones career by washing them out of training except for a blatant poor attitude or like the guy threatening to get violent with the training director!

pipejockey said:
I can see a short course for those truly current and qualified but a type rating alone does not qualify. AWAC and RAA have some sort of bridge program where students get typed in 10 sim sessions then interview, and if hired at AWAC receive no systems ground school and are only sheduled for 4 sim sessions, If they are not satisfied with your performance after the 4 sessions they let you go. At least offer the full 9 or 10 sessions.... I guess the bottom line is I feel the airlines should be a little more interested in getting people through training instead of sending them out the door.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from. In my newhire class there were two RAA guys w/ types. In fact, not only did they have types, but they were TEACHING at RAA on the CRJ. Both went through the exact same indoc, systems, and sim sessions I did as a new hire with no 121 time. To recap, they received 2 weeks indoc, 2 weeks systems, and 10 sim sessions. AWAC, as far as I can tell, is EXTREMELY interested in getting people through training. In the class before ours, I was told 75% of the class received extra sim sessions.

AWAC is a good company that believes in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. As far as I know, the only people given the 'short' course were people coming from another 121 carrier, either as captains with types or f/o's that were current in the airplane.

~wheelsup

pipejockey said:
I can see a short course for those truly current and qualified but a type rating alone does not qualify. AWAC and RAA have some sort of bridge program where students get typed in 10 sim sessions then interview, and if hired at AWAC receive no systems ground school and are only sheduled for 4 sim sessions, If they are not satisfied with your performance after the 4 sessions they let you go. At least offer the full 9 or 10 sessions. I mean these guys have 0 time in type. Why ruin ones future prospects over something like this. I know a couple guys who did that. I guess the bottom line is I feel the airlines should be a little more interested in getting people through training instead of sending them out the door. It's just not right to ruin ones career by washing them out of training except for a blatant poor attitude or like the guy threatening to get violent with the training director!

You were given wrong information. There were 4 RAA guys in my class and all of them went through the full training program. All passed.

At AWAC you'll get what you need to be prepared for the checkride and to work the line. As long as you have a good attitude and are working hard and showing reasonable progress you wont get some arbitrary limit. A recent large class at AWAC had the RAA guys going through both the full course and short course depending upon what they asked for, bid for, and what they needed.

Latest resources

Back