• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been at VA 4+ years. If I were you I would wait before applying. Here are my reasons.

1) No one knows if we are going to make it. By the end of 2012 we should know our fate.

2) VA is pausing its growth. If you got hired today, you'd likely be on reserve until fall 2013. By waiting a year you would not lose much seniority and you could wait out the current uncertainty.

3) We've hired our last captain based on current orders. If you got hired today, you'd not upgrade based on current orders. The days of quick upgrades are over. You're looking at a 5+ year upgrade, possibly indefinite. As an FO, it will take until year four to be making close to Skywest captain pay.

4) VA has the worst pay and benefits of any narrow body operator (that includes Spirit and Allegiant) while our bases are in the most expensive cities in the country.

Having said all that, I still like working at VA. The schedules are good (super efficient) and I love the bay area. Would I come here as a regional captain today? Probably not. The deal has changed. Quick upgrade is gone, and it looks like better paying carriers might be hiring soon. Moral here is starting to fall off. Many guys are getting burned out by endless transcon commutes.

I've been at VA 4+ years. If I were you I would wait before applying. Here are my reasons.

1) No one knows if we are going to make it. By the end of 2012 we should know our fate.

2) VA is pausing its growth. If you got hired today, you'd likely be on reserve until fall 2013. By waiting a year you would not lose much seniority and you could wait out the current uncertainty.

3) We've hired our last captain based on current orders. If you got hired today, you'd not upgrade based on current orders. The days of quick upgrades are over. You're looking at a 5+ year upgrade, possibly indefinite. As an FO, it will take until year four to be making close to Skywest captain pay.

4) VA has the worst pay and benefits of any narrow body operator (that includes Spirit and Allegiant) while our bases are in the most expensive cities in the country.

Having said all that, I still like working at VA. The schedules are good (super efficient) and I love the bay area. Would I come here as a regional captain today? Probably not. The deal has changed. Quick upgrade is gone, and it looks like better paying carriers might be hiring soon. Moral here is starting to fall off. Many guys are getting burned out by endless transcon commutes.

Admittedly, I haven't started yet, but I think your assessment is a bit pessamistic. While I share your concern about the financial health, I don't see anything happening this year (heck, the year is almost over!). There seems to be a few projects going on that precludes that. Second, I thought it would be the case that I would be on reserve for a year, but they already said they want to hire 25 more by the end of this year. That should almost get me off reserve right there. I also think there is a bit more hiring before long term fo's. It's not my plan, but there will be plenty going to the legacies when they start hiring. Lastly, I will pretty much back to my rj captain pay at year 3, so 2 years from now. Again, you probably know more than me as I don't start there for a couple weeks, but these are the things I have been hearing. I look forward to seeing you on the line! :).

Last edited:
Admittedly, I haven't started yet, but I think your assessment is a bit pessamistic. While I share your concern about the financial health, I don't see anything happening this year (heck, the year is almost over!). There seems to be a few projects going on that precludes that. Second, I thought it would be the case that I would be on reserve for a year, but they already said they want to hire 25 more by the end of this year. That should almost get me off reserve right there. I also think there is a bit more hiring before long term fo's. It's not my plan, but there will be plenty going to the legacies when they start hiring. Lastly, I will pretty much back to my rj captain pay at year 3, so 2 years from now. Again, you probably know more than me as I don't start there for a couple weeks, but these are the things I have been hearing. I look forward to seeing you on the line! :).

Yeah, I suppose there will be a bit of a hiring binge in an attempt to stack the anti-union vote. New guys tend to vote against the union. After the vote things will come to a halt until new aircraft hit the property.

As for what's going on this year... For years management has maintained that the reason we can't make a profit is our rapid growth. Well, we are pausing our growth. If we show a profit, then the VA business model is a success and maybe an IPO is on the horizon. If we don't show a profit prepare for the worst. Our CEO is still promising a full year operating profit for 2012. He is either confident we'll succeed or he knows he'll be sacked if we can't make a profit. Cush has stated in numerous interviews (even after our massive first quarter loss) that we will be profitable (operating not net) for 2012. That's the kind of statement you can't back away from. He's all in on us being profitable this year. From the info presented to the employees it looks as if we will not be able to turn a full year operating profit. I hope I am wrong.

Hey, i hope we succeed. I'm all in on this place too. If it tanks i'm screwed and so is my family. The prevailing mood I'm encountering on line these days is most FOs wouldn't have applied here if there were any other options out there.

Last edited:
Many guys are getting burned out by endless transcon commutes.

You got that right! 80% of VA guys commute, but there is no chance in Hades getting any more east coast based flying. Yes, JFK exists for less than 20 crews, but the trips there only appeal to vampires and good luck commuting in and out of JFK.

Can't take any flying out of SFO. No way, can't touch that. :(

If we show a profit, then the VA business model is a success and maybe an IPO is on the horizon. If we don't show a profit prepare for the worst. Our CEO is still promising a full year operating profit for 2012. He is either confident we'll succeed or he knows he'll be sacked if we can't make a profit. Cush has stated in numerous interviews (even after our massive first quarter loss) that we will be profitable (operating not net) for 2012. That's the kind of statement you can't back away from. He's all in on us being profitable this year. From the info presented to the employees it looks as if we will not be able to turn a full year operating profit. I hope I am wrong.
Rumors are the 2nd quarter earnings were not what was expected. As in, another loss. After the 75 mil loss for 1st quarter, and the supposed loss of 2nd quarter, I think having a full year 2012 as profitable is now a pipe dream. I concur with your assessment though, that Cush has said several times we will be profitable for 2012, and if that goal isn't achieved, I think we'll have a replacement in the most senior of management. I don't think this place would just disappear, but I think you'll see new blood coming in and taking over.

All,

Thank you for your input. No one has a crystal ball. Just trying to see how those AT VA feel about things.
LAX base is good. Love the product. Branson's a winner, but there is only so much money you a company can bleed.
When will the 2nd qt financials be out?

All,

Thank you for your input. No one has a crystal ball. Just trying to see how those AT VA feel about things.
LAX base is good. Love the product. Branson's a winner, but there is only so much money you a company can bleed.

Why would you give up the chance to fly the glorious MRJ????? Don't miss that chance!!!! :laugh:

When it's a loss, usually several weeks after the rest of the airlines post their profits. When it's a horrific loss (like lastQTR), more than a month after. In all cases of loss, they release at 5pm PT on a friday. If profit, 8am on a Monday (n/a for VX).

I think if this friday comes with still no #s, it will mean even scarier #s than 1st QTR. hope i'm wrong

Things here at VA could be better, but where weren't they better when airlines were startups. Things are improving, slowly, but they are going in the right direction. Don't pay attention to the "Haters," they will have nothing to do when we start to make money other than cry. Things haven't gone the way they thought(cashwise), mostly because they tried to do things cheaply here instead of just doing it the right way. Those things will improve and the money will come. Planes are coming...5 next year and from September of 2013 on, basically one a month through 2019 which will take us to 121 aircraft I believe. These aircraft already have the financing and will be coming. Things will only get better here...there is a union vote coming, so we will see how that turns out, but we can only go up from here. Branson and the money are not going anywhere. We will be fine. If you were to stay at OO, I would say you are crazy! People here are great and the trips are mostly productive. To stay at a regional would be a death sentence if you ask me....Delta is only going to shut down more 50's....good luck! :cool:

Things here at VA could be better, but where weren't they better when airlines were startups. Things are improving, slowly, but they are going in the right direction. Don't pay attention to the "Haters," they will have nothing to do when we start to make money other than cry. Things haven't gone the way they thought(cashwise), mostly because they tried to do things cheaply here instead of just doing it the right way. Those things will improve and the money will come. Planes are coming...5 next year and from September of 2013 on, basically one a month through 2019 which will take us to 121 aircraft I believe. These aircraft already have the financing and will be coming. Things will only get better here...there is a union vote coming, so we will see how that turns out, but we can only go up from here. Branson and the money are not going anywhere. We will be fine. If you were to stay at OO, I would say you are crazy! People here are great and the trips are mostly productive. To stay at a regional would be a death sentence if you ask me....Delta is only going to shut down more 50's....good luck! :cool:

That's just Delta! Who knows what UAL's contract will look like regarding scope, 50's etc.. On that note, I'd rather be at OO than any other regional. But we are not the lowest bidder, when those contracts are up.... Doubt mainline management will be looking for the best performing, quality regional.

Latest resources

Back