USAirways Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JAB31

Are they still furloughing? I heard a rumor that there is enough voluntary leave to offset the rest of the furloughing...and that recalls may not be to far off...any truth to these rumors ? Thanks

No one knows anything.

My crystal meth ball tells me they will RECALL all the furloughees by end of summer or sooner due to...

Seasonal increase in ML flight hours

greviance award from mis-management's violation of Large Small jet 93 airframe limitation - WHILE FURLOUGHING, THE COK SUKKAZ!

Yes, some but very few vol. leaves

regular attrition

I believe that this furlough was predominantly a negotiating tactic. After any change in the USAPA/West court battle, a unified pilot group will fight in earnest, and cohesively (this is not a short term thing, and may take longer than summer 09)

Feel free to ignore/flame.

here is some info from the furlough commette (copied from the commette updates):

jan 28,

8) We currently have 184 pilots on furlough with the final 64 additional furloughs coming soon. The 37 remaining East pilots will be furloughed with 14 pilots on Feb 4th, 15 pilots on March 5th and the final 8 pilots expected on April 4th. The Company has not given any further dates for West furloughs besides that zero pilots will be furloughed in Feb and Mar of 2009 and the remaining 27 pilots sometime in April and/or May of 2009.

1) To clarify, after conversation with Lyle Hogg on regarding the EVLA’s, he said that the recently announced EVLA’s are to offset already announced and planned furloughs from last year. To again clarify, Captain Hogg said that no additional new furloughs are being announced at this time or planned. This EVLA depending on how many take it, will allow those scheduled on April 4th 2009, (8 Pilots), and March 5th 2009, (15 Pilots) to remain employed. East pilots can expect another bid to come out shortly after the close of the EVLA’s on February 12, 2009.

2) You can go to the http://thehub.usairways.com/ and download the EVLA request form and find more information. When looking for Expanded Voluntary Leaves of Absence (EVLA) information, go to “The Hub” in the Divisions section, Flight Operations. Information is also available in the last Furlough Committee update.
3) We are sorry that the West EVLA, was announced and has already closed (11 West pilots took advantage of this offer) but your furlough Committee did not receive any information about this. When we inquired about a possible additional EVLA for the West is when we were informed that it had just closed earlier this month.
We will try to find this information out in a more timely manor, but would appreciate any help with this. We have asked Management to have another EVLA or possible “rolling EVLA” or anything else that will possibly help mitigate any furloughs and will report any new information that we receive.
4) With the latest totals from the Company, 31 EVLA’s from the East (31 June 08 bid and will post February results when they become available) and 25 EVLA’s from the West (14 August 08 and 11 January 09) preventing a total 56 pilots from being furloughed at this time.

Guess we will see after the bid that comes out on 2/12 closes.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm world wide recession bordering on depression, 140k jobs lost in a week and you think their will be a recall at the worst positioned airline in the industry?

I would expect to see more furloughs for the next year or so. The "summer ramp up" will be very small this year. Who the hell can afford to go on vacation and what company in the US is going to increase spending for conventions or business travel.

Last edited:
) We are sorry that the West EVLA, was announced and has already closed (11 West pilots took advantage of this offer) but your furlough Committee did not receive any information about this. When we inquired about a possible additional EVLA for the West is when we were informed that it had just closed earlier this month.
We will try to find this information out in a more timely manor, but would appreciate any help with this. We have asked Management to have another EVLA or possible “rolling EVLA” or anything else that will possibly help mitigate any furloughs and will report any new information that we receive.
--------------------------------------------------
Translation:
Oops, we are always looking out for the west pilots but I guess this one got past us, too bad. But you gotta believe we'll be looking out for you next time.
Honest.

) Translation:
Oops, we are always looking out for the west pilots but I guess this one got past us, too bad. But you gotta believe we'll be looking out for you next time.
Honest.

Agreed.

I believe that this furlough was predominantly a negotiating tactic. After any change in the USAPA/West court battle, a unified pilot group will fight in earnest, and cohesively (this is not a short term thing, and may take longer than summer 09)

It WILL take MUCH longer than the summer. You can't stab guys in the back and then expect them to hold your hand while you sing "we shall overcome". I honestly hope someday soon we can all move forward and act as a unified group, but we have to bridge the Grand Canyon of seniority integration first. In the mean time, we'll get the crap whipped out us by the company.

phftttt

Hmmmmm world wide recession bordering on depression, 140k jobs lost in a week and you think their will be a recall at the worst positioned airline in the industry?

I would expect to see more furloughs for the next year or so. The "summer ramp up" will be very small this year. Who the hell can afford to go on vacation and what company in the US is going to increase spending for conventions or business travel.

Are we helping Kirby manage some expectations now? Too bad ALPA's gone, because with talk like that the old CLT reps likely would have invited you to a little mountain retreat and loved you up. And I'm not talking some Deliverance, backwoods stuff, I'm talkin' a real nice rub down, a good glass of wine....you know. Lance down there in CLT would just love the way you're babbling on....worst positioned airline....oh....that makes him sooooooo HOT!!!

If the large rj greivance is ruled in our favor there should be recalls. The hearing for this was yesterday and today. Can't see how it can't be ruled in our favor, the company is either over the max amount of large rj's allowed by contract or not.

Latest resources

Back