• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
this total amount of RJ is for all the Regional network or per Regional company? and what's amount?....thx

The amount of large rj's that all of the express carriers combined is to be capped at 93 total. They have been operating 18 over that for a total of 111 large rj's.

Anyone know for sure if the RJ overage and Block hour arbitrations were both heard this week, or just the RJ issues?

I know for a fact that the rj greivance was yesterday and today down in D.C. The block hours issue is a different hearing which I thought was next week or the week after.

Thanks PSW for the reply....

I'm really eager to hear what happens at these hearings. Can't wait for the company to pay up for what they have done to the furloughees.

If the company loses the RJ arb. they will just remove the offending rj's from the schedule and apologize for there lack of oversight and maybe some $. They probably won't get Airbus/737 back from the leassor's to cover those routes.

If the company loses both the RJ arb and the Block hour arb then you could see a positive shake up in the staffing.

The only way sure fired way to see recalls is to get the East off LOA 93 and get on to a modern contract with better work rules/days off/vacation and not flying 90 hour lines, that will require at least a 3% increase in pilot staffing. But USAPA is not motivated to get off LOA 93...so here we sit.

Hmmmmm world wide recession bordering on depression, 140k jobs lost in a week and you think their will be a recall at the worst positioned airline in the industry?

I would expect to see more furloughs for the next year or so. The "summer ramp up" will be very small this year. Who the hell can afford to go on vacation and what company in the US is going to increase spending for conventions or business travel.

I do, and obviously I put money on it.

Worst positioned? Check your altimeter setting, homes. International revenue is plummeting, domestic is whupping ass. No one saw it coming, but US Steel has gotten lucky in that regard. They gots cash, they don't pay anyone anything close to industry pay rates. I would ask for you to specify the negative position, but I believe you have not done enough research/contemplation. I know you are a bright guy, I enjoy reading your posts.

Everybody else "gets it." I am not saying that the pilot groups (and ther are very much still 2) will hug it out.

What I am saying is that when it becomes apparent that your cause is lost in fighting your brother, the only reasonable course is to rebuild and fight for what are now mutual goals.

I do think that a judge will make this clear to either the leadership or most likely the pilots of the losing side. The weak link is hoping for them to be "reasonable."

Notice I did not get specific. I have my opinions, but it affects me not at all, and I do not wish to initiate another poop fling-fest.

Last edited:
If the company loses the RJ arb. they will just remove the offending rj's from the schedule and apologize for there lack of oversight and maybe some $. They probably won't get Airbus/737 back from the leassor's to cover those routes.

If the company loses both the RJ arb and the Block hour arb then you could see a positive shake up in the staffing.

The only way sure fired way to see recalls is to get the East off LOA 93 and get on to a modern contract with better work rules/days off/vacation and not flying 90 hour lines, that will require at least a 3% increase in pilot staffing. But USAPA is not motivated to get off LOA 93...so here we sit.

I think you're right....I hear a lot of opinions that a victory on the rj grievance means recalls and I don't buy it either. You would have to prove conclusively that the 18 large rj overage directly resulted in furloughs. In essence you'd have the burden of proving the company transferred mainline jobs to the rj's. This is a whole different ballgame than merely showing they've been exceeding the limit of airframes.

Last edited:
Loa 93 clearly states the limit is 93 airframes for large rj's. there is clear evidence that there are 111 large rj's being operated. It's not that this overage caused the furloughs because this has been going on since long before the furloughs. it is hard to believe the company will just say oops and get rid of the rj's and not replace the flying. 18 aircraft is a big chunk of northeast express ops that is flown by 170s,175s and crj-900. We'll see what happens.

Sorry but after 25 years in this business I'm pretty skeptical about any success stories via this process.

My guess is in this environment there's no way in he!! they're bringing back mainline hulls & pilots. They'll either eliminate a bunch of marginal markets they were about to vacate anyway, or replace the large rj's with smaller types that don't
violate the contract.

Latest resources

Back