• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways East losing respect.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of the reasonable posts I've read aren't angry about where the furloughs were placed, but where the junior East FOs were positioned.

I agree...see my original post on this thread:

First of all, I want to say that my fellow pilots I work with here on the "east" side are good people--and except for a few rare exceptions, not any different than any pilot I've ever associated with both in and out of the military.

As an unwilling participant myself through at least 4 mergers in my over 19 years with the airline...I hate to see the inevitable stereotypes being bandied around. I really hope now, that like past mergers, with time, they will diminish...if not go away.

Now, I want to say this very clearly:
Speaking from PRIOR MERGER EXPERIENCE: There will always be griping about an arbitrated seniority list. The problem with this arbitration is NOT with the idea of slotting--or even the so-called "relative seniority". The real problem is that the East's attrition--was not taken in to account in the award. It could have been taken care of either by fences (the simplest way), or by a different slotting for the ones impacted most--the lower third of the east's list.

If this one issue would've been addressed properly by the arbitrator, this would've been accepted pretty much like most other of our past arbitrations...with typical grumbling acceptance.
DB

With that, I'm going to try my best to step away from (and stay off this and related threads) and go luv my domestic goddess. I hope the best for ALL of us here at the new USAirways. Back to lurking....

This is from the East Merger Committee introduction to their rank and file on July 16, 2005:

ALPA Merger Policy makes no mention of date of hire or any other method of achieving these goals. The Merger Representatives must determine which method or combinations of methods best meet the goals. The goals all address what your seniority will buy upon integration and into the future. This is the yardstick of fairness by which any proposed method of integration must be judged...

This process without a doubt can be divisive, both between the pilot groups and within the pilot groups. When the integration process is complete, we need to be able to move forward with one pilot group that is as unified as possible. When it is all said and done, we can become one formidable group of pilots.

When you meet America West pilots, be as welcoming as you can. Remember that the seniority list integration will not be accomplished in the jumpseat, the crewroom, web boards or the hotel van. Trust the process and trust your merger team to do the very best job we can in protecting the best interests of all US Airways pilots.

You can't say you guy's were'nt warned.....by your own no less.

I don't have a dog in this fight at the moment, but if rumors come to pass I may well have a small dog in it in the future. Or maybe, Spirit will just buy AAA east from Cactus. That will get interesting.

From what I hear, the arbitrator instructed AAA to come back without doh and AAA failed to follow his instructions. I have NO idea what's fair in this situation, but I dang sure know that you just don't jack with an arbitrator. He's going to win every time.

My point was to say that if you use the logic that the east's career expectations were nil...then the whole east list would've been way down the combined list, for example. And no, I just wasn't referring to the top 517. That 4-yr fence for the widebodies was meaningless--gone when age 60 goes.

For what its worth, I never felt straight DOH was reasonable unless there were tall fences and protections for all west side folks. Let me say for the record, I never felt straight DOH was going to happen. The whole idea there was primarily to protect the east's huge attritions due to mandatory-age retirement. We've all seen the math posted so many times on this board how the pilot demographics will be in the not-so-distant future.

As has been said many times on this board, a "successful" seniority list integration leaves (to an outside observer's viewpoint) both sides equally unhappy. And no, I can't recall any Critical Incident response teams being activated during past arbitration results--but then, with what we have been through in these recent years, I can certainly understand the reasoning. In the east there is universal line pilot agreement that this was not a fair (or equally unfair) award; that is the problem... There wasn't that feeling during our past mergers--I would always hear people moaning how much seniority they lost, yada yada...typical grumbling. But not this.
DB

Maybe if you guys beat your head against the wall for higher fences instead of DOH that the Arbitrator told your leadership wouldn't happen back in Jan. But now you want to play.

As far as everyone being pissed!!

You were a dead airline!!!
we got 2+ years of no growth (and upgrades and hiring were comming)
You got the first 517 spots

When the relief of just how far you guys wanted to bend us over wears off, this side will be pissed at what you got and are getting.

Maybe it's been a tough time being an AAA pilot but It's hard to feel sorry for a bullheaded crybaby!!!

Personally, I'd just take all my sick time, accrued vacation, spend it all while applying at Netjets when I was approaching the date where a West guy would be able to bump me out of my seat, hopefully benefiting from some type of retirement deal in the new contract (something is better than nothing), then leave for a NJA or another corporate gig.

Huh? Bump you out of your seat? I'm getting a little tired of you people who keep commenting on this arbitration while knowing nothing about it.

Obviously, you haven't read the arbitrator's explaination, have you? The above quote proves that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Did your Daddy tell you this stuff?

Quit posting your nonsense.

And with basing and pay for newhires as it is... no blame here.

Free type ratings! Come to NetJets.

Be carefull for what you wish for. They will go to NetJets. Then sue you for your left seat because they believe that they are older and more experienced, therefore entitled to it.

The typical west f/o, thanks to our retirements, no matter when they occur, not only will get to advance to the left seat, but will be very senior there when they retire.
DB

When I came to AWA upgrade was 7-8 years, with the new list my upgrade is looking like 8-9 years (assuming age 60 remains) - so explain to me how your retirements are helping me out? Retirements don't mean much to the incedible shriking airline - which is what we are now that we're US.

Latest resources

Back