• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Godspeed, a terrible tragedy.

So sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers to those involved and touched by this.

My sincerest condolences to the family, friends, and co-workers of the crew, and best wishes for a speedy recovery for the FO.

press is speculating the pilot confused the runway lights with the lights of a major street in the immediate vicinity (lets see what the official report is....)

If so, it wouldn't be the first time. Never flown into Saltillo, but night, arcs, NDBs, mountainous terrain, airport lighting, etc, make it tough enough. McClellan outside of SAC has a street that is easily confused for the runway. It can happen to any of us:(. Godspeed.

Hi.

This really sucks.

I JUST got an email from a buddy who was at USA Jet, but his email said the tail no. was "N704CK", so I was hoping it was NOT a USA Jet airplane and crew.

Then I found this thread...

I just flew with the captain. He is a great guy-very nice, friendly and helpful. He had a LOT of experience, both before coming to USA Jet, and while here.

He was helping me learn what to do to be capt (I am upgrading now, and am home after getting the type done, so I was out of the loop). He was VERY helpful, and a great guy to fly with.

I'm shocked that it happened to him, but I guess that's how it always is-a shock to everyone. Also, Saltillo is not easy to fly into, but we go there the most of anyplace in Mexico.

I don't know the FO. We have had a lot of new FOs lately, and I just don't know all of them yet.

I haven't heard anything from the company or anyone else, except for this thread.

My thoughts are prayers are with those affected by the flight. I hope the FO recovers to fly again.

God Bless LM, the FO, and their families.

cliff
GRB

Let me also say "God Bless" to the flight crew and everyone else touched by this.

I second the comments about Mexico. I have extensive experience down there in my "heavy" King Air 350 (gross = 15,500) and Monterrey and Saltillo can bite you if you are not careful.

Night approach, 1 mile viz, sky obscured, and putting in a 5-6 hours in the cockpit, all on the back side of the clock, a only-god-knows-how-recent Altimeter setting, etc....just pick one of the above and nobody wants that. Now throw in all of them...sure we do it all the time, etc etc blah blah but we still need to be cognizant of the risks we take sometimes.

anyway, ranting.

God bless to the crew and my official stance is lets wait for NTSB final report.

side note (stupid question?) do the USA Jet DC-9's have GPS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back