Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Final Recalls: Take it, or Leave it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furloughed--Great post that applies to many "whose airlines aren't what they once were".

Don't ever let your job determine who you are or your relative success or failure as a person. If you were a failure, you'd be sitting home watching soap operas drinking beer (hey, that doesn't sound half bad...) instead of having gone out and gotten another decent flying job.

Gillegan--I wish I could pull the trigger like you did. My wife would make the move in a heartbeat but I'm chicken. I hear Ethiad is a good deal these days. TC

Well said guys...

It's just funny how the crystal ball never told me this when I started this back in 1982. I too made my decision a few months back. I may not be flying now, but in the long run before it is too late, I got out and I am truly happier than ever in my career. I once was proud too to wear the uniform and stick out my chest when it meant something back when I started.

Now the whole airline industry is all but extinct. I may not be in a flight deck of a plane but why worry when you have your own plane to fly when and where ya want.

Good luck mis amigos...don't regret on looking back on what might have been. Always look forward to what it can be. I did and it was worth it not to go back. Ask my longtime girlfriend/soon to be wife how much happier I am now.

Like many before me, I am proud of what I was and who I flew for. Back then it was worth it, today it is not.

In 20 years, when you and I look back and add up who had the good careers, it won't be measured by the yardstick used when we joined.

If you are decently paid now, treated well and provide for your family, then I would say that's successful by any measure.

I think those are both excellent points. Most likely I will be following your advice and staying right where I am.

When I look around the industry at young pilots just starting out and I watch them tripping all over each other to get hired flying an RJ, or hear them talking about how JetBlue is the airline they've wanted to work for "their whole life", I can't help but wonder if I just lack the initiative to succeed in a major airline career.

I know that if 10 years ago I read a thread like this I would have thought, "He just didn't want it bad enough". I can't help but to wonder if that is how some of the young pilots who read these boards feel about me.

Not that it matters of course, but I need to look objectively at myself and my situation and make certain that I am willing to give up that "airline pilot" dream before I sacrifice that number. (Not to say that I couldn't get hired by another major in time, but why give up instant seniority -- even if it's just a little -- if my intent was to go back to that type of flying anyway?)

I suppose i'm having a little trouble moving past that yardstick by which we measure our own success. Bigger airplanes, more money, etc.

As you can see this is largely an emotional decision. It has more to do with ego than anything more. Will I be satisfied with the direction i've taken since 09/11... or will I regret not accepting that recall?

There are probably a few hundred furloughed pilots who were hired by SWA, FedEx, UPS, Alaska, -- but I suspect the rest of us who have "good jobs" rather than "dream jobs" are all fighting this battle with ourselves.

My dad was with USAir for 32 years and while growing up I made USAir a goal I wanted to achieve. I understand completely your thoughts and emotions. Good luck to you and your family.

Gillegan--I wish I could pull the trigger like you did. My wife would make the move in a heartbeat but I'm chicken. I hear Ethiad is a good deal these days. TC

TC:

Etihad is still at an early stage of growth so, yes, from that point of view it would be good to go if a relatively quick upgrade is your goal. Not really sure what the work environment and quality of life is at the airline. Abu Dhabi would be an okay place to live. Lots of sun and sand, that's for sure :) .

Maybe Gillegan will come along and put in his two cents. He only had two Coronas tonight :beer: so he should still be lucid :p .

Typhoonpilot

Furloughed - You didn't fail. The career failed you. Things changed that you had no control over.

Enjoy the time you have with your family in this chapter of your life, and try and remember fondly the good times at USAIR.

F9

Furloughed....

Sounds like you have already made the correct decision. Let it go, and enjoy that family / corporate job.

Adios!

Take it from someone on the "inside looking out". You made the right call. This place isn't anything like the USAir that you left,nor the AWA I hired on with. Enjoy your family and regarding the new direction your career has taken the best advice I can offer you is let the Good Lord steer. He knows what's right for you and you family. Best wishes. Pray hard and fly right!!

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
I'm generally not a religious person. I just make the best decisions I can based on the information I have.

So far i've got about a 50% "made the right choice" ratio. So near as I can figure, my career has been governed by the cosmic equivalent of a coin toss.

Fate is the hunter.

I'm generally not a religious person. I just make the best decisions I can based on the information I have.

So far i've got about a 50% "made the right choice" ratio. So near as I can figure, my career has been governed by the cosmic equivalent of a coin toss.

Fate is the hunter.

To each his own:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back