Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Final Recalls: Take it, or Leave it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To anyone considering the Gulf area..Emirates is a professional airline and run so, but it like most places is a JOB, if you have a career at home dont think of coming here Etihad is newborn and going through some tough times organizationally and is not an ideal place to move to just yet..GF is well...GF...good luck to you USAir guys looks like a BIG mess for the forseeable future, and my former colleagues at Cactus who look to be getting a good screwing in the process....

Little Duece, These guys cry foul when you speak about doing your job with a little pride...screw them. There is no job better than the one you look forward to doing. Maybe they felt that way once and now think the world owes them something. If they want to be miserable pricks, the rest of the employees will just treat them like the children they act like. Best of luck to you. You are a credit to your profession.

That's just my opinion, but then again I used to have a REAL job. Busting my ass six days a week doing iron work when I was younger makes this job that much sweeter. I go to work with a smile on my face every trip.

And no, this isn't Doug Parker.

Hey furloughedagain,

I have come to the same crossroads in my career too. I have struggled with my decision in 99 when I left a senior position at a LCC for Airways, to get furloughed, to a corporate job (which I did not like) and now at JB. I just turned down my 3rd recall too. Just know your not alone and your family comes first before any job. Like you, I too was hoping for a "no brainer" decision to return- and thats not the case. So whatever the final decision is- good luck and try not second guess yourself like I do......

XBoeingdriver,

I am constantly second-guessing myself. Just today I enjoyed a lobster roll at a little airport diner in Maine and thought, "This is the best job in the world".

Then, while #15 in line at an east-coast major airport as a storm rapidly approached the field and we all sat shut-down in the hold pad, I looked at the American MD80 parked next to us and thought, "Those lucky %$@# are getting paid by the minute!"

My thoughts about going back actually change back and forth depending on the time of day it seems.

Sad huh?

Thats funny as heck, I did the same thing when I flew corporate, I noticed all the little things I disliked about pt. 91 operations. Mostly the pay... the harder I work now- the more I make vs. I was salaried corp. pilot and they worked me like a rented mule with no extra pay, and numerous additional duties, oh yeah- and politics.

Good luck pal

Has anybody done the math to see who the new jumior man is? I'm trying to figure out how far back up the APL Charmane has to go. I don't have an updated APL, but who is 100 from the bottom excluding guys being HELD, on LOA, or MILITARY? Thanks for the guesses.

4lowed

Furloughed & X;
I feel you pain and remember the corporate days (even some with fondness). I will say this; when doing most 121 stuff you show up, get the release and WX, prepare the flight deck and walk around. You finish with final numbers and flight attendant secures the door. Your only interaction now is periodic PA's as necessary/needed.

Corporate (before you're even though 10K); "Hey, would you change the CD to Shania Twain! Oh, and get me a glass of red wine while you're up.":rolleyes:

Well you have a wrote a very compelling message, your not alone, but no opinion poll or anything we have to say is going to make you feel better or help make your choice...

Revist you priorities... Keep family in the forefront.. whats best for their furture... then look at your own needs and wants... break it down... your a pilot because you love to fly... what do you want to fly.... can you live with the way the industry is now... forget the past.. its spilled milk... will the coorporate job satisfy your flying ego? or do you need to the heavy metal? Aviation's future is always going to be a coin flip.. part 92/135 have good points and bad.. 121 work the same..

Write it all on a sheet of paper, pros/ cons... can you keep the family protected, what will keep your marrage intack, then what really makes you happiest.. once you make up your mind.. dont look back, ever...

It could get worse, believe me... I have been there... did the flight instruction, got my ATP at 25, flew for a regional then moved up to a major for 5 years, Captain for a year.. then blam.. and I mean crash and burn.. heart attack... by pass... career over.. gone... done it was like I had died even though my family was obviously very happy I was still alive... I was out.. sure I had some income.. but I was sick.. heart was broken.. I was mad for a long time, " how could this happen to me" alway took care of myself, did all the right things... just family genes caught up.. not fair... after taking everything in perspective.. I did an evaluation.. I still loved aviation... I still wanted to be around it, so what could I do.. I went back to the books and became a dispatcher... not the same... but I accepted the facts and it was the best I could do to keep the family supported and scratch my aviation itch.... so just remember.. no matter what your choice, somethings can come into your life that is totally unexpected and can crush you.. so enjoy the fact that you have the ability to "make a choice"

good luck to you.. search deep inside.. then move onward...

IMHO, I believe becket said it best.

The only thing that truly defines who you are and where you are going is your character.

A job is a job, your self definition (success or failure) is defined by something intangible inside yourself.

Character is Destiny.

I think FurloughedAgain's future is secure. In my experience everything happens for a reason - even if we never find out what that reason is.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

Clearfortheapch,

A few years back I picked up a dispatchers rating "just in case". I'm glad to see that it worked out for you, but you've certainly made a lot of us realize how lucky we are to even have this choice to make.

I wish you the very best. Thanks.

Cactusboy,
<laughing> You know, i've heard of some corporate operators like that. I guess we're pretty lucky. Our passengers are very low-maintenance. We don't cater food or drink (other than bottled water) and other than the occasional, "It's too cold back here", they never disturb us while we are working. They are always friendly and appreciative.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back