Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Final Recalls: Take it, or Leave it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
I found the following on another board.

(Phoenix @ Jun 9 2007, 0708 PM)
"...the real white elephant in the room is the fact that ALPA and the company have been complicit in the destruction of a profession to the point that 1500 furloughed pilots won’t “re-marry” the pig that tries to sing like a swan but can’t even beg, borrow, or steal a little lipstick or rouge."

That is, indeed, something astounding. Think about what it means. Out there in the industry at any given time young pilots would fall all over one another for the opportunity to go fly for a major. 1500 people (myself included) have elected not to return.

Honestly, I can't even believe that i've said "no" to that recall letter 3 times now. You guys have no idea. US Airways is all I have ever known since I was a little boy. All I ever wanted to do was follow in my father's footsteps and fly for that company. I remember my father being SO PROUD of his company that our family cars had GIANT "USAir" decals in the back windshield.

I remember when he upgraded in the 727 and brought home a photograph of the airplane for me because he was SO PROUD of that machine.

I remember going out to PIT with my father to see the very first 737-300 in USAir colors.

I remember January 18th, 1999 and believing that it was the greatest day of my life to have been hired by my fathers company. I have never in my life been so proud to wear a uniform.

I remember the very last flight in March of 2002, with my wife in the back, walking to the employee lot for the last time and fighting back tears.

What a 5 years it has been. After being furloughed I flew Dorniers for PSA for a year. Somehow somebody talked me into leaving there to go fly for Comair. But you just can't go back to the commuters again once you have flown for a major. Every trip in an RJ made me feel as though I had failed. Today I fly corporate jets for a large company. It's a great job and i'm treated very well... but this isn't what I wanted to to, or wanted to be. If I say "no" to a recall, will I kick myself for another 25+ years? Will I always wonder "what if"? Will I come to resent my decision?

I was sure I would go back as soon as they called. I mean why am I here on Flightinfo? Why have I day after day for 5 years watched this airline to see when the recalls might come? I can not begin to imagine how hard it is going to be to send that resignation letter.

I imagine it will feel as though I've failed to succeed in a dream that I've had since I was a child. Pilots don't have much in the way of a legacy. We don't leave anything to the generations to follow. But somehow I thought that building a successful career at US Airways, just as my father did before me, would be a continuation of his proud legacy.

I had sincerely hoped that there would be some watershed event that would make the decision easy. I wanted to see a US Airways that was so successful and had become so powerful that going back just made sense. I wanted the decision to be a no-brainer. But whatever decision I make, I have to live with. If I choose to go back I have to explain to my wife how commuting to Philly to sit reserve or fly 4-day trips for less money than I make today is a smart move. I'm not sure I could even convince myself, much less my wife.

Boy I wish this was easy. I know for some folks it is. The sad part is, for them it was just a job. For me it was something I had grown up with -- like family.

Best of luck to all of the furloughees as, after 5 years, we finally face a real decision. Take it. Or leave it.

"...the real white elephant in the room is the fact that ALPA and the company have been complicit in the destruction of a profession to the point that 1500 furloughed pilots won’t “re-marry” the pig that tries to sing like a swan but can’t even beg, borrow, or steal a little lipstick or rouge."

Take it. Or leave it.

Kudos Brother.

I think that many "left it" a while back. This is just finality.

US is not the same place it used to be.

It's time to move on.

Good luck to all who remain.

In a short time the only thing in common with the company your father flew for and the current company will be the name...

If it goes anything like the mergers of NWA...which it certainly appears it might, if not worse..it will not be a fun place to work for literally a generation.

Probably a smart decision on your part.

Best wishes to you and yours...

That was without a doubt the best narrative ever written on this board. My hope is the best for you and your family and the rest of the USAir family as they are faced with a similar decision.

"In the end our families will only remember the memories we make at home."

Furloughed,

Wow, a well-written and heartfelt post on FI.com. Amazing. I sympathize with your plight and definitely feel for you. Don't feel like a failure! Men like you and your father made USAir what it once was. Men much worse than yourself made it what it is today. It's truly something you could do nothing about. Walk away and be proud that you are willing to do what's right for you and your family, not what's right for someone else and his family. Just like good men made the company, other men ruined it. Good luck to you.

You've made a lot of tough decisions in the last few years... Best of luck with whatever you decide this time!

See ya in Vegas sometime!

I'm flying later today with a former USAir guy who's only been with us for 2 years, and in his words.. "I'm having too much fun here to return to that mess".. he too has said no to the 3rd letter. Sad that an ACMI is now more "Fun" than one of the grand old "Legacy" carriers.

That is, indeed, something astounding. Think about what it means. Out there in the industry at any given time young pilots would fall all over one another for the opportunity to go fly for a major. 1500 people (myself included) have elected not to return.

Honestly, I can't even believe that i've said "no" to that recall letter 3 times now. You guys have no idea. US Airways is all I have ever known since I was a little boy. All I ever wanted to do was follow in my father's footsteps and fly for that company. I remember my father being SO PROUD of his company that our family cars had GIANT "USAir" decals in the back windshield.

I remember when he upgraded in the 727 and brought home a photograph of the airplane for me because he was SO PROUD of that machine.

I remember going out to PIT with my father to see the very first 737-300 in USAir colors.

I remember January 18th, 1999 and believing that it was the greatest day of my life to have been hired by my fathers company. I have never in my life been so proud to wear a uniform.

I remember the very last flight in March of 2002, with my wife in the back, walking to the employee lot for the last time and fighting back tears.

What a 5 years it has been. After being furloughed I flew Dorniers for PSA for a year. Somehow somebody talked me into leaving there to go fly for Comair. But you just can't go back to the commuters again once you have flown for a major. Every trip in an RJ made me feel as though I had failed. Today I fly corporate jets for a large company. It's a great job and i'm treated very well... but this isn't what I wanted to to, or wanted to be. If I say "no" to a recall, will I kick myself for another 25+ years? Will I always wonder "what if"? Will I come to resent my decision?

I was sure I would go back as soon as they called. I mean why am I here on Flightinfo? Why have I day after day for 5 years watched this airline to see when the recalls might come? I can not begin to imagine how hard it is going to be to send that resignation letter.

I imagine it will feel as though I've failed to succeed in a dream that I've had since I was a child. Pilots don't have much in the way of a legacy. We don't leave anything to the generations to follow. But somehow I thought that building a successful career at US Airways, just as my father did before me, would be a continuation of his proud legacy.

I had sincerely hoped that there would be some watershed event that would make the decision easy. I wanted to see a US Airways that was so successful and had become so powerful that going back just made sense. I wanted the decision to be a no-brainer. But whatever decision I make, I have to live with. If I choose to go back I have to explain to my wife how commuting to Philly to sit reserve or fly 4-day trips for less money than I make today is a smart move. I'm not sure I could even convince myself, much less my wife.

Boy I wish this was easy. I know for some folks it is. The sad part is, for them it was just a job. For me it was something I had grown up with -- like family.

Best of luck to all of the furloughees as, after 5 years, we finally face a real decision. Take it. Or leave it.
Just another ex-AAA pilot trying to make his point. Nice post but about 3 years too late. AAA is in the first ,if not even second stage, of self destruction. Just listen to the AAA code-a-phone.

...Every trip in an RJ made me feel as though I had failed. Today I fly corporate jets for a large company. It's a great job and i'm treated very well... but this isn't what I wanted to to, or wanted to be. If I say "no" to a recall, will I kick myself for another 25+ years? Will I always wonder "what if"? Will I come to resent my decision?

I had sincerely hoped that there would be some watershed event that would

Don't look back. It is rare that someones career goes as planned. That doesn't mean that you can't be successful, you just need to adjust what you're criteria are for success. If it is to fly large aircraft for a major, you can do that but it might not be exactly what you envisioned.

I left USAir(ways) in '96 by choice. I had worked at ALPA and seen the mess that both sides were and didn't figure that either side would ever get their acts together. I also saw a very distinct possibility of being a 50 year old co-pilot (hired at age 26). I stumbled onto a job overseas (Emirates) and now make okay money as a B777 Training Captain. When I was hired at USAir in '89, I too thought that I had arrived. If you had told me that 7 years later I would be living overseas (in the middle east no less) I would have thought that you were mad.

The fact is that the industry has changed in the last few years in ways that none of us could have predicted. The old paradigms simply don't apply anymore. In 20 years, when you and I look back and add up who had the good careers, it won't be measured by the yardstick used when we joined. In my opinion, this has been the biggest shortfall at ALPA. It's run by senior captains who still think that it's 1980. While moving overseas might not be for everyone and there are certainly times when I would like to chuck it and come back home, I'm sure that there are opportunities in the States that in the long run will give you the success (or satisfaction)that you desire. If you are decently paid now, treated well and provide for your family, then I would say that's successful by any measure.

I left USAir(ways) in '96 by choice. I had worked at ALPA and seen the mess that both sides were and didn't figure that either side would ever get their acts together. I also saw a very distinct possibility of being a 50 year old co-pilot (hired at age 26). I stumbled onto a job overseas (Emirates) and now make okay money as a B777 Training Captain. When I was hired at USAir in '89, I too thought that I had arrived. If you had told me that 7 years later I would be living overseas (in the middle east no less) I would have thought that you were mad.

What a story!!

You have it together. We have an undeniable tendency to look back at what was, what coulda been, what shoulda been. Somehow we need to train ourselves to only look forward....as tough as it is.

It still amazes me how older pilots, and those without enough PIC, were flocking to USAir in the late '90s as others were bailing because they saw the writing on the wall. Don't trust your friends opinions as many won't be very good.

Enjoy the memories, but focus more on how you can make the rest of your career as good as it could be. Make sure you account for the "risk" of going back to USAir in a tough time for pax carriers. You could be headed for an ugly merger in a couple of years. I've seen a few folks take pay cuts to start over at better companies or in other types of jobs. Most are not sorry. UAL types left for JetBlue. Don't know if they made the right call, but I suspect some of them are plotting their next move.

If growth is necessary for your happiness at USAir, I say don't go back.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back