• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air To Address Investor Concerns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much did the USAir East guys militantly guarding a DOH merger derail the United proposed merger in 2000? I need some education.

How much did the USAir East guys militantly guarding a DOH merger derail the United proposed merger in 2000? I need some education.

I wouldn't say it was much of a factor. IMHO, labor didn't doom that merger. In simple terms, Goodwin and his team were outnegotiated by Wolf & friends, and it didn't take long for buyer's remorse to set in. Sixty bucks a share was an absolutely appalling figure at the time, and the deal would have sent them all into BK (oh wait....that happened anyway!). To address your original thought, the UAL pilots were not looking forward to the integration, and their displeasure became part of the "summer of love," but to say that it derailed the merger gives us pilot pawns way too much credit.

The merger was dropped for a host of reasons, not the least of which was the UAL pilots' reluctance to enter the deal - mostly not wanting the usair millstone around their necks. USAir pilots asking "what does my DOH hold in SFO" and "when does my 777 class start" didn't exactly endear them to the UAL group.

But aside from this there was an almost immediate and strong political backlash to the proposed deal that only gained momentum with time. And then the industry started to hit tough times and UAL began losing money and the deal just didn't seem worth it anymore.

Was MidAtlantic which was on the same operating certificate as mainline UsAir. Flown by furloughed mainline pilots at Embraer rates.

"Furloughed mainline" pilots are not the same as "mainline" pilots.

Put on your helmets everyone....here we go again!:bomb:

Was MidAtlantic which was on the same operating certificate as mainline UsAir. Flown by furloughed mainline pilots at Embraer rates.

Well, that statement says it all. It doesn't matter who paid the fuel bill, who paid the leases, etc. The pilots that flew these aircraft were furloughed mainline pilots. These pilots could not bid back to A320's, B737's, A330's, etc. Only when they were recalled back to the mainline carrier could they then bid back to this equipment.

"Furloughed mainline" pilots are not the same as "mainline" pilots.

They were not furloughed USAir pilots, they were USAir pilots. The planes were on the USAirways operating certificate. Call sign was USAirways. The pilots were on the USAirways pilot seniority list. MidAtlantic was 100% USAirways just like Ted is 100% United and Song was 100% Delta. The 170 was a mainline aircraft flying on the mainline with mainline pilots.

It was sold off at a later point during bankruptcy and that flying was permitted to be outsourced at that time. Then all the Jets-for-jobs crap started happening which I suspect is why you may be confused about the issue.

My point was (still is) that the 170 was a mainline aircraft operated by mainline pilots at one time. Now it is not. The 190 is, for right now. There will be a lot of pressure from management (*jingle, jingle* here's some widebody candy! come on now! dassa good widdle pilot! now just sign this widdle LOA and all your dweams will come twue!) to purge the 190 from the mainline. But its up to the pilots regarding if they will allow that. They did before (170) however they are in a stronger position now than they were then, so we shall see.

Latest resources

Back