UPS MGMT Pilot -- Ready, Aim, Fire!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AlbieF15,

I appreciate your responses and inputs. Your approach is exactly what I was hoping to gain from posting on this site. Thanks for your professionalism and I apologize for going on a "rant" in the previous post. He deserved it.

NoKoolAid

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Canyon Blue--Get off of it. Could you honestly say that you would pass on FDX or Brown for SWA if you were starting out right now? This paradigm of yours that cargo airlines are somehow not majors is ridiculous.

I don't care what he calls us.....you can call us cow do do.....the fact is Big Brown has about the best job security that is possible in this industry.

Canyon Blue--Get off of it. Could you honestly say that you would pass on FDX or Brown for SWA if you were starting out right now?

I would. I don't know what you guys make but flying in the day for Herb aint all bad. Having a couple thousand guys under you with more by the month aint all bad. I'm glad you like were you work - and we dang sure like it over here. Besides, Brown polyester makes me look fat :)

Hey NoKoolAid, I think you're nuts for even considering it. Now isn't exactly the best time to be "starting over" in this business. Nothing quite as uncomfortable as being number last on anybodys list. Especially number last management pilot.

Good luck with your decision,
Gup

tick...tick...tick
American/United have reorganized their cost structures
tick...tick...tick
The new US Air/America West merger will create the first true national LCC
tick...tick...tick
Air Tran and JetBlue continue to grow
tick...tick...tick
SWA fuel hedges avg price per barrel increasing.
Meanwhile China's economy continues double digit growth and India is soon to follow and UPS/FDX profits double. How does 2 billion per quarter sound? It will happen w/i 5 years.
BTW Herb retired a while back so you don't work for him anymore. Ever heard of Gary Kelly? Quite honestly I think you're nuts for not trying to get on here.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Canyon Blue--Get off of it. Could you honestly say that you would pass on FDX or Brown for SWA if you were starting out right now? This paradigm of yours that cargo airlines are somehow not majors is ridiculous.

If you never applied would that be considered passing? I only wanted to work at 2 Airlines, one was in my hometown the other was Southwest. Southwest called first. As far as Cargo Airlines I would not call them Majors, but rather Global. You should be glad you are currently in a class by yourself as it would seem to be a extremely stable career choice right now. But that could all change in 20 years, same as Southwest. You are correct though that if I had nothing to offer then why click on an apparent UPS link. Well, the same could be said for some of your fellow compatriots like Big Beer Belly, USNFDX, capt. megadeth, and klhoard appearing on threads such as SWA TV show, SWA Going to Denver, etc., not to mention various jetBlue threads. I would gladly never post on another Cargo related thread as long as the above refrain from posting on any Passenger Airline related thread. Let's see how long this lasts.:rolleyes:

It's certainly not a prerequisite to work at a company in order to make a comment.

Thanks for the compliment of my company. I feel lucky to be here.

SWA was my fourth choice behind the aforementioned and Cathay. SWA is an excellent company, but has a tenuous future. It's easy to start up an airline compared to starting up a global package deliver company. Aside from UPS, FDZX, DHL, and TNT there are no companies competing in our industry for the next 20 years. SWA could be bankrupt in 5 years, just like United from 1998-2003. Then again China and INdia could nuke each other and we'd be screwed.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
It's certainly not a prerequisite to work at a company in order to make a comment.

But it's the tone of the comments.

I feel your pain

NoKoolAide,
You're not the only one considering leaving the 121 life...Ever consider Part 91? Granted not all corporate flying jobs are the same and the good ones are hard to find, but it's the way to go if family time is most important (pay is very respectable too). I'm in a very similar situation as you, and am very close to getting a choice Part 91 job in my home town. I know that FedEx has a seperate corporate flight department and they allow those pilots to eventually cross over to the line if they choose too. Maybe they'll let you go the other way given your circumstances. Another source for corporate jobs is a Aviation Personnel International. They are very good at what they do and if they decide to represent you, they'll find you a job. If location is most important, start looking at major corporations where you want to live and start networking at the airport. Most CP's will at least talk to you if you come knocking. The hard part is finding them, unless you have a copy of the NBAA directory (check out the corporate board). Anyway, just a thought (at least you have time and a job to look around). By the way, I admire the courage of your post...to publically challenge the coveted 121 lifestyle and to consider trading it in for a management position with your company's rival...ballsiest move I ever saw man!

GBU,
OldGoat

Thanks for the Insight

Very much appreciated Old Goat! Thanks for the advice and support.
GBU as well,
NKA

Latest resources

Back