• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS hiring window: OPEN for transoceanic heavy drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK UPS experts, riddle me this. 2007 App complete in January, Assesments complete end of March, with the "we will contact you etc..." at the end of the assesments. Application says active. No Transoceanic experience. Will I get a call or not, since I jumped thru the assesment hoop prior to the oceanic thing coming along......called my bro at UPS, he has no idea. Anyone?

OK UPS experts, riddle me this. 2007 App complete in January, Assesments complete end of March, with the "we will contact you etc..." at the end of the assesments. Application says active. No Transoceanic experience. Will I get a call or not, since I jumped thru the assesment hoop prior to the oceanic thing coming along......called my bro at UPS, he has no idea. Anyone?

Don't know but if your "bro" is truly your bro, you can't work here anyways.

I'd say yes...you'll be put into a non-MD-11/744 slot. When, is the real question.

i don't know why anyone is crying over this? ups can ask for any kind of experience they want to. if they want pilots with 25 lunar landings, so be it. it's their company and they can staff it anyway they choose. anyone can learn something new when they put their energy into it. why doesnt ups hire 1000 hire flight intrsuctors? should i be upset cause they ask for 1000jet pic and i only have 500? is it notfair to me? no not at all. i am sure a monkey can learn how to cross the pacific. they put this requirment in place cause they want people that have done it before. i am sure they have their reasons. if you really want to work at ups go get the experience they require and get the job!

Thanks for the input Slice and Mega - My buddy went digging in SDF and he was told that if you passed the assesments prior to the oceanic requirement coming out that you are still in the pipeline to get a call. No idea on a timeline though.

There's folks interviewing here everyday lately, but I'm not sure what timeframe they belong to, ie 2006 or 2007. I'll ask one of them next time.

It might be that they also want, by default, those with international experience, not just trans-ocean. Isn't UPS talking about opening up a hub in China? Maybe they're looking to staff something like that, which, of course, will go junior. China flying is sometimes pretty tough, with very rugged mountains, poor radar controllers, etc. It's not a place for rookies.

China flying is sometimes pretty tough, with very rugged mountains, poor radar controllers, etc. It's not a place for rookies.

I think that statement is slightly dramatic. Everyone going to China with experience was a rookie in China at some point.

That being said, it's a lot of fun when you have wx below mins, the Cat II is "not available" and the controller just wants to shoo you off to the alternate.

I don't know how the UPS thing works, but lets take this scenario. some regional guy gets hired at UPS, flys domestic for many years, then gets divorced, wants a change of life and bids captain in ANC. Voila, he is now a md-11 captain with no intl. experience, and junior walks in all bright eyed and bushytailed and says, I'm your F/O, just finished IOE; spent the last four years flyin RJ's back and forth to biloxi from Desmoines.
So, here we go flyin across China into Russia into wherever.sumtin happens, bad chit!

That doesn't sound like a fun spot to be in!
You cannot teach experience.
Japan has the most intense ground schools in the world, but if something happens thats not covered in training, holy Cow!, they know not what to do!

Folks, I know many of us want to work at UPS, but being thrust into the Intl world of flying, and i mean INTL. is not easy. Sure it can be done, but let me assure you, you do want someone next to you who has previous experience, when the wierd stuff happens. And it does happen!
I think UPS is right to want at least one person in the cockpit who has a fair amount of experience doing oceanic crossings and has had his feet muddy from time to time in the eastern bloc or over china.

Lets look at this another way, If you were a captain with lots of experience, who would you rather have next to you while your doing a tour of china and asia? A guy with a bunch of intl experience, or the afformentioned domestic RJ guy?

I don't know how the UPS thing works, but lets take this scenario. some regional guy gets hired at UPS, flys domestic for many years, then gets divorced, wants a change of life and bids captain in ANC. Voila, he is now a md-11 captain with no intl. experience, and junior walks in all bright eyed and bushytailed and says, I'm your F/O, just finished IOE; spent the last four years flyin RJ's back and forth to biloxi from Desmoines.
So, here we go flyin across China into Russia into wherever.sumtin happens, bad chit!

That doesn't sound like a fun spot to be in!
You cannot teach experience.
Japan has the most intense ground schools in the world, but if something happens thats not covered in training, holy Cow!, they know not what to do!

Folks, I know many of us want to work at UPS, but being thrust into the Intl world of flying, and i mean INTL. is not easy. Sure it can be done, but let me assure you, you do want someone next to you who has previous experience, when the wierd stuff happens. And it does happen!
I think UPS is right to want at least one person in the cockpit who has a fair amount of experience doing oceanic crossings and has had his feet muddy from time to time in the eastern bloc or over china.

Lets look at this another way, If you were a captain with lots of experience, who would you rather have next to you while your doing a tour of china and asia? A guy with a bunch of intl experience, or the afformentioned domestic RJ guy?

Understood. And, I would have to agree with you.

I have limited overseas experience and meet all the other requirements.

Do I have a chance?

BTW...Anchorage would be my first choice of domiciles.

GP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back