• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS hiring window: OPEN for transoceanic heavy drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good. Guess their thinking of us who came from ACMI carriers who would love to only be on an INTL trip for 12 days instead of the 18-20 we're used to, IMHO.

p.s. to all you SJS boys, go out and get a real job now and really learn how to fly. Sorry, you can't buy that experience now matter how hard you try. 63 countires in 3.5 years on 5 of the 7 continents. Now thats fun. And yes you can get a Heinken and Budweiser in all but 2 unless you wnat to go to jail. Spent plenty of time in Betty Ford East(Kuwait and Saudi)

What?????? Are you joking or just a tool?

They shut out a TON of people! You have to get your experience somewhere for Christ's sake! I didn't have crossing experience when I got hired. It's not rocket science. Overwater training was the easiest training I've ever done. I understand UPS preferring that type of experience for ANC, but to shut out all regional guys, SWA, Jetblue, Airtran, any legacy domestic guys, the list goes on is crazy. I could see it saying it is preferred but REQUIRED???? That's insane IMO.

Last edited:
I doubt Canada is going to fit the requirement. They're probably looking for pilots who have had to look at each other after every other radio call and confer on what they think ATC said. :D

What about dealing with the rampers in IAD?:D

Gee, you are a super-pilot....i wish i could be as cool as you

God's gift to aviation...jackass

Good. Guess their thinking of us who came from ACMI carriers who would love to only be on an INTL trip for 12 days instead of the 18-20 we're used to, IMHO.

p.s. to all you SJS boys, go out and get a real job now and really learn how to fly. Sorry, you can't buy that experience now matter how hard you try. 63 countires in 3.5 years on 5 of the 7 continents. Now thats fun. And yes you can get a Heinken and Budweiser in all but 2 unless you wnat to go to jail. Spent plenty of time in Betty Ford East(Kuwait and Saudi)

Does ups look at prior experienc at ups? I throw boxes at ups over 15 years ago over christmas break. I had to quite rather quickly. Will that be held against me?

It's interesting that at UPS, a 4-year degree is "preferred" while the oceanic experience is a requirement, while at FedEx a degree is required and no mention is made of overwater experience. (A degree in horticulture or music history fulfills the requirement for a "4-year degree")

Maybe UPS is trying to open up some options for guys who can't get on with FedEx?

Make no mistake, there are some unique skills that are required of long-distance, overwater flight. But there's nothing that can't be taught in a couple days of ground school and a week of IOE. Surely, by the time an applicant has achieved all the other requirements that UPS demands, he's demonstrated that he can take instruction. What can't be taught is how to comport yourself in a foreign country. I've seen some terrible examples of that, committed by supposedly professional crewmembers. Nothing in UPS's hiring criteria addresses that issue.

I suspect this is an HR thing, although Flight Ops probably had some input as well. But it probably isn't any more caprecious than Southwest's old policy whereby a person with a half-dozen type-ratings still had to have one in a 737 to get an interview, or FedEx's insistance on a four-year degree.

For all you guys (and gals) that have been bustin' your a$$es waiting for a chance to be invited to step beyond UPS's "velvet rope"...man, I feel for ya.

Stay in the game guys, this too shall pass...

Wasn't there something about a new guy that is involved in pilot recruiting? Is that the same guy that flushed all of last years Apps? He might not make it another year or two, with that type of attitude, KARMA.

Thanks to whoever pointed this out, I got half way thru the app and was taking a break here when I saw this thread. I flat out missed that question and answered yes thinking JFK-SJU oceanic flying, instead of TRANSOCEANIC FLYING. Oh well, guess I'll keep flying the bus until I'm somehow qualified to cross the ocean. :beer:

Unfortunately for UPS - they just picked up another one.
I agree with you Fairview!
Fear not! Attitudes like that sometimes are detected in initial training and IOE. It wouldn't be the first time some jackass who hasn't even started collecting a paycheck somewhere shoots himself down with his big mouth.
Hey Brown Guys! Warning here! Is this what you really want to hire?
He will undoubtedly be an embarasment to your company somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Why do I think 80for80 just got a new screen name?

Latest resources

Back