UPS called!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bourbon and horses?

Now that sounds like a great combo! My wife is too funny - she is already practicing to make mint julips!

I am a ups hopefull with a small medical problem. I have high blood pressure but have it under control with medication. I obviously have no problem holding a class 1 medical. Does anyone else here have any experience with the ups medical and high blood pressure?

exchexflyer said:
I am a ups hopefull with a small medical problem. I have high blood pressure but have it under control with medication. I obviously have no problem holding a class 1 medical. Does anyone else here have any experience with the ups medical and high blood pressure?

I thought you couldn't get a 1st class if you are on BP meds. That's not the case then?

UPS Physical

Just a quick note on the UPS physical. The doctor’s office only reports one of two things to UPS...they either report you are fit to perform the duties you have applied to perform, or you are unfit.

In order for the doctor to deem you unfit, there would have find something relatively extreme…in other words, something that would preclude you from holding a class one medical.

The letter the doctor sends to you might indicate something minor such as slightly high cholesterol for example, and a recommendation on how to correct the condition (low fat diet, exercise, etc), but that information is not passed on to UPS.

Fit or unfit. That’s all.

CE

capt. megadeth said:
I thought you couldn't get a 1st class if you are on BP meds. That's not the case then?

You might be very surprised by this, but it is very common to be on bp medications and still fly. My AME definately knows about this. Along with this condition I have to perform certain blood tests every year and there must be NO side effects from the medication.

Thanks Check Essential!

Great post! That is exactly what I was wondering, and you nailed it. Thanks for the heads-up!

1800 RVR

Congrats!

Capt.Megadeth - "...I thought you couldn't get a 1st class if you are on BP meds. That's not the case then?"

Xcheckflyer - "...You might be very surprised by this, but it is very common to be on bp medications and still fly. My AME definately knows about this. Along with this condition I have to perform certain blood tests every year and there must be NO side effects from the medication..."

I was getting my FAA medical a few months ago and overheard a conversation an AA pilot was having with the doctor (I know, it’s not very nice to eavesdrop :) The doctor told him that almost 20% of pilots over 50 were on some kind of blood pressure and/or statin medication (cholesterol). He said the FAA wants you to get in shape first but if that don’t work or if you have hereditary factors involved they do not disapprove and in fact encourage pilots to take bp medication early on to prevent future complications. I was surprised to hear it at first but I think it makes sense in a way.

1800RVR – CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!

I got a few friends at brown and they all love it, I’m sure you’ll too!

av80r

1800RVR

That's great news! I'm away from a computer for 4 days and look what happens!
Good luck.

AV80R said:
Capt.Megadeth - "...I thought you couldn't get a 1st class if you are on BP meds. That's not the case then?"

Xcheckflyer - "...You might be very surprised by this, but it is very common to be on bp medications and still fly. My AME definately knows about this. Along with this condition I have to perform certain blood tests every year and there must be NO side effects from the medication..."

I was getting my FAA medical a few months ago and overheard a conversation an AA pilot was having with the doctor (I know, it’s not very nice to eavesdrop :) The doctor told him that almost 20% of pilots over 50 were on some kind of blood pressure and/or statin medication (cholesterol). He said the FAA wants you to get in shape first but if that don’t work or if you have hereditary factors involved they do not disapprove and in fact encourage pilots to take bp medication early on to prevent future complications. I was surprised to hear it at first but I think it makes sense in a way.

Thanks

1800 RVR good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back