Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on SWA f/o arrested for intoxication.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Frontier1 said:
Hmmmm, half the legal limit to drive a car. Legally he was not drunk.
.08 isn't "drunk" for a lot of people either. Check the modern phrasology, they call "drunk" drivers "drinking" drivers now. It's all about level of impairment.

Just think, when you have to drive your mom or dad around because age 60 has been legally defined as "impaired" driving, you'll see where it's all heading.

I think the next logical step will be to ban cell phones from the passenger compartment of motor vehicles. They have already done studies that prove that cell phone talkers are more impaired than a .08% drinking driver. If I can't have an open bottle of Jack Daniels laying on the back seat of my car, you shouldn't be able to have an operating cell phone in the passenger compartment of a car either.

http://www.tigerweekly.com/story.php?iidart=3326

Get plastered for science and talk on your phone

[Comment Below]
By Danielle Bachan
A recent study conducted by the University of Utah Psychology Department claims that driving while talking on your cell phone is as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol. The goal of the study was to understand what makes people assume they are driving safely while talking on their cell phones. Startling evidence from the study showed that “while some of the participants crashed in a virtual vehicle while sober and chatting, none of them crashed while drunk.” Volunteers were given alcoholic drinks until the legal blood alcohol limit (.08) was reached. The participants were then instructed to drive. Other volunteers were instructed to talk on their phones and drive. All tests were performed on a virtual driving course.

The test showed that the talking drivers drove slower, failed to maintain a safe driving distance and were, on average, slower to hit the brakes. The drunk drivers also drove slower but were much more aggressive than the talking drivers. Throughout all findings, none of the drunk drivers crashed.

These results may seem a little off beat, but according to University of Utah Psychology Department member Frank Dews, “This study does not mean people should start driving drunk … It means talking on your cell phone is as bad as, or maybe worse than, driving drunk.”

Many drivers who talk on their cell phones are unaware of the risks they cause, just as drunk drivers believe that the problem is not them. The cell phone talkers are very likely to miss out on potentially dangerous situations on the road due to being engaged in a conversation, thus posing a greater risk to those around them.

The use of a hands-free device seemed to be the answer, but new laws are making just about any form of yapping illegal when behind the wheel. Many areas throughout the United States are beginning to make the roads safer by regulating drivers’ cell phone use. New York was the first state to ban drivers from using hand-held cells.

Other recent reports and studies have declared hands-free devices just as distracting as a hand-held model. Anne McCartt, VP for research and author of the cell phone study stated that either phone type increased the risk.

The Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office stated that there are currently no laws in place in Louisiana regarding cell phone usage in vehicles.

“I can assure you that the sheriff’s office does not have this as one of our top priorities,” declared Fred Raiford III, Administrative Assistant at the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office.

Talking on a cell phone while driving is considered by many as “multi-tasking” rather than a possible driving hazard. However, while this may be public perception, the national Highway Traffic Safety Administration determined that a driver’s risk of getting into an accident is three times higher when the driver is on a cell phone.

Maybe you shouldn't drink on overnights. This wouldn't be an issue. The only time I drink is on my days off. Too much to lose otherwise.

Captain Overs said:
Maybe you shouldn't drink on overnights. This wouldn't be an issue. The only time I drink is on my days off. Too much to lose otherwise.

Drinking on a day off is the same as drinking on an overnight.

Terrain Terrain said:
What an A$$, this DeAngeFAG will end up in a smoking hole someday, I just home my family does not follow him in.

He would have to actually be a pilot to cause an accident. The only smoking hole he now leaves is after rolling off his boyfriend.

Publishers said:
Let there be no doubt, in many companies you blow a .39 during duty hours, you are gone..... period.

Let there be no doubt you have no attention to detail....period. He was .039 not .39, back to microsoft flight sim for you.

habitual pilot said:
I wonder if we could stop this witch hunt by the poorly untrained individuals if we all showed up with a little Jack Daniels smell with absolutely NO alcohol in our systems? If a couple hundred of us blew a .000, they might just look like the idiots they usually seem to be....
Brother, we think alike on this:D. I started out thinking that we should all just dip our ties in cheap rye whiskey, but that isn't real professional and I don't want to scare the pax. I've recently thought about wadding up a kleenex and dipping it in Jack, wearing it through security, and then tossing it into the trash after clearing security. Both of those plans actually require that we have some Jack somewhere in our possession, which could be trouble, so they're out of consideration. '

Lately, I've been wondering if the security screeners might also be on the lookout for bad breath and strong mouthwash. My latest idea is to eat Italian, heavy on the garlic, and gargle with cheap-no-alcohol mouthwash just before entering security. The only drawback is that the FO better follow the same plan or my breath might run him/her out of the cockpit.

Or maybe, I could just do the cheap mouthwash thing. Once the mouthwash wears off, I'm back to normal. It could work, maybe we should start a movement.

Another idea just popped up, Does anyone know if the listerine pocket pacs contain any amount of alcohol? They are certainly strong in the smell department. Maybe we should all start popping a double dose of listerine pocket strips before every time we enter security.

I'm doing it. Who's with me?

:)

BTW, why is it that the TSA smelled booze, but the other crew members did not? We all should really start doing the self police deal. If I ever manage to run out of brains and tie one on, I'd certainly appreciate it if my co-worker started the day off with, "dude, you smell like a bloody brewery. CALL IN SICK"

Latest resources

Back