Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on SWA f/o arrested for intoxication.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
D'Angelo said:
Ummm how about not showing up reaking of alcohol and blowing a .039? Sorry but thats darn near the legal limit. If the guy hadnt been a drunk clown who reaked of alcohol he wouldnt be in this predicament. This should send a message showing up with any booze in your system is unacceptable. you want to drink til the 12/8 hr limit fine but be sure your booze free when you report for duty. Unbelieveable. Pilots are good at blaming everyone but themselves. Ohhhh those evil TSA guys are being unfair. Ohhh its a witchhunt blah blah blah. Bottom line is if you blow a .00 you will have absolutely no problem.

What an A$$, this DeAngeFAG will end up in a smoking hole someday, I just home my family does not follow him in.

737 Pylt said:
The FAA sets the blood-alcohol limit at .04 percent, although regulations state that if a pilot tests between .02 percent and .039 percent, he or she is not allowed to work. Regulations also call for a second blood-alcohol test within 30 minutes of the first test, and say that if the blood-alcohol range remains the same, the pilot can't work for another eight hours, or until the level drops below .02 percent.

OK, I knew about the .04%; that's in part 121. Where's the .02 to .039% come from? That sounds like made-up BS. I did a quick search of the FARs and that never popped up.
.039 vs .04; that's one lucky pilot. He'd better get himself a decent lawyer; he'd be a fool not to.

Hey "DumAngelo"

There is an old saying, but you are probably tooooo young to know it, and probably tooooo "stupid" to even understand it, but here goes;

"It is often wise to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Sorry, I guess judging from most (well, "all") of your posts, I guess I am a little too late in giving you that advice/quote.

Hey, Jacka$$, what you don't realize is that even though it is a big industry, the "airline community" in a lot sense is a "small community." And, enough people on here, and in the 'community' know who you are by now; just remember, the 'throat that you are cutting, is your own.' I have been in this business for over 20yrs, and have personally seen people, when word get around, who they are and what they think, that they can't even get hired to "clean the toilets" on an airliner (sorry, jb guys, not meant as a comment on you guys).

I am just amazed that they allow people as "stupid" as you to even pilot an airline with people onboard.

Not that you are really worth my time to even post a comment about your thoughts; just "food for thought." Not that you are anywhere smart enough to even "get it."

>04 is the FAA standard.......02 is the limit for which you will be removed from duty until you are below .02. That is generally a company limit.

A350

Andy said:
OK, I knew about the .04%; that's in part 121. Where's the .02 to .039% come from? That sounds like made-up BS. I did a quick search of the FARs and that never popped up.
.039 vs .04; that's one lucky pilot. He'd better get himself a decent lawyer; he'd be a fool not to.

Appendix J to Part 121—Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program

F. Other Alcohol-Related Conduct
1. No covered employee tested under the provisions of section III of this appendix who is found to have an alcohol concentration of 0.02 or greater but less than 0.04 shall perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions for an employer, nor shall an employer permit the employee to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions, until:
(a) The employee's alcohol concentration measures less than 0.02; or
(b) The start of the employee's next regularly scheduled duty period, but not less than 8 hours following administration of the test.
2. Except as provided in subparagraph 1 of this paragraph, no employer shall take any action under this rule against an employee based solely on test results showing an alcohol concentration less than 0.04. This does not prohibit an employer with authority independent of this rule from taking any action otherwise consistent with law.

I believe this is what they refer to. It could be why they wait until ready to operate the aircraft, then you would be in the safety-sensitive position.

Lawyers, my finger is in a safety-sensitive position for them.

Last edited:
deleted....

Last edited:
Well, there's been a lot of debate. So here's what I've gotten. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

1. The FO did pass through security with alcohol on his breath.
2. The TSA called the POLICE to administer the breathalizer. (All the TSA does is make a phone call. Trained monkeys, etc., their only function was a call. That's it. Which it sounds like they did correctly and with just cause. All the other debate about them seems pretty unwarranted IN THIS CASE. Chalk up a job well done. I know the people on the plane appreciated it - our paycheck generators.)
3. The FO blew below the .04 limit (by .001, not half which I read in a previous post) but was still arrested. Why? Media? Once again, NOTHING to do with the TSA?
4. He still would have been done with the trip because he was above a .02.

I know it sounds like I'm a TSA defender. But all I'm looking for is some unbiased TRUTH. If what I've written is wrong please type away. I just see no reason for unwarranted blasting.

Also, I was curious, I read that somebody mentioned about getting a blood test. Do we have that option? Is that written somewhere? The post I read about that had very good points.

God bless!

MalteseX said:
Slurred speech; staggering; stupid comments, etc. YOU CAN be convicted of impairment, (ie DUI, etc) by exhibiting these traits...

Sounds like any of us after a 16 hour duty day. But somehow the FAA and the rest don't have a problem with the effects of pilot fatigue and your ability to fly an airplane. I wonder which is harder on performing your duties, .04 in your body or 16 hours on your body.

Huck said:
Slurred speech; staggering; stupid comments, etc.

Sounds like half the guys in MEM at the midnight sort....

And the Kennedy Family.:puke:

Latest resources

Back