Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on SWA f/o arrested for intoxication.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wingsweep said:
.......... do you propose TSA simply ignore any crewmember they suspect is drunk? Is that your final, considered opinion?

Are they QUALIFIED to identify a crewmember that is intoxicated? What training do they go through to identify a person who is over the limit? Is it enough for them to just pull someone aside and if they are innocent, and just respond "my bad"? Bottom line is they are barely qualified to screen bags, and now they feel compelled to start finding intoxicated crewmembers. Fellow crewmembers usually do a fairly good job of identifying an intoxicated crewmember, and I would never fly with anyone who was, for my sake as well as theirs, intoxicated. My guess is his fellow crewmembers never said a thing because he never seemed, or smelled intoxicated. And guess what, they were right.

AA717driver said:
LMAO! :D ZINGGGGGG!

Seriously, I'm not in favor of pilots being impaired on duty. We all have to know our limits (mine are expanding at a shocking rate as I age... :( ). I object to the immediate labeling of someone as guilty before ALL the evidence has been collected.

I'm not against law enforcement. I'm against the kind of chicken$h!t small-town cop BS that I witness in my local town and across the nation (cops riding MY bumper because I drive a car commonly driven by teens), harassing my daughter's classmates because they were driving their mom's Mercedes, cops getting convictions/charges/confessions thrown out because they wouldn't provide lawyers after the suspect requested one, cops withholding food and water for hours during questioning, cops threatening to hold people after their bail has been made, 4 cars show up to intimidate a State Policeman who pulled over a local cop for doing 110 with no lights or siren or being on duty... crap that isn't necessary to protect the safety of the community.

I was in a bar in Chicago years ago (on a layover :blush: ) and talked to a Transit Authority Police officer. She said that "cops have to stick together because everyone is against them". I told her that wasn't true and the general public supported them. But I related the above incident about the State cop being accosted by the locals and she said he shouldn't have been pulled over in the first place. The discussion headed downhill at that point with the result being that she (I assume representing the general attitude of her co-workers) felt police officers should not be held to the same standards (read laws) as the public because they have a difficult job and no one supports them. Boo-F'in-hoo.

Like so many other "public servants" many have forgotten that they are there to protect US. We aren't there for THEIR entertainment. And, unfortunately, the above happens so frequently that it makes me question the "few bad apples" defense.

Carry on.TC

AMEN Brother -

Growing up in a state with NO income tax, and in a small town, where the cops job and pay checks come from writing BS tickets. Most people can't fathom this, becuase they grew up in a city with 10 million people, and the cops have something to do other then write tickets for inop license plate lights.

I have been driving since I was 12 (legal in this state w/ farm permit). And got BS tickets for years.

40 million kids ride a bus twice a day without seatbelts. That law is nothing more the a way to generate revenue for the city and PD.

Mark

Again, flawed logic

canyonblue said:
Are they QUALIFIED to identify a crewmember that is intoxicated? What training do they go through to identify a person who is over the limit? Is it enough for them to just pull someone aside and if they are innocent, and just respond "my bad"? Bottom line is they are barely qualified to screen bags, and now they feel compelled to start finding intoxicated crewmembers. Fellow crewmembers usually do a fairly good job of identifying an intoxicated crewmember, and I would never fly with anyone who was, for my sake as well as theirs, intoxicated. My guess is his fellow crewmembers never said a thing because he never seemed, or smelled intoxicated. And guess what, they were right.

CB,
First, tell me what "QUALIFIES" anyone to identify a someone who's been drinking? Your post implies only other crewmembers are qualified (and justified) to make the determination. I ask again, do you really think TSA should ignore it? For the record, TSA was spot on--the guy had been drinking, as the tests proved. WS

There is a duty and responsibility we all have to say something when we suspect someone or something is amiss.
About a year ago or so, I appeared on CNN regarding the American West pilots and an audience member asked if crew members would deliberately not report a fellow crewmember for being drunk. I said no that would not happen because we all have this responsibility of working in the industry to protect it and see that operations are safe.
While I said that I questioned myself as to whether this was true. We all know many stories of badly hung over people who partied on layovers flying the next day.
BTW it was my bad typing .39 instead of .039. One should not fly or type after Jack Daniels.
In the end, you have worked so hard to get an airline job regardless that it might not be the job it once was. That said, it is much easier to lose the job over what, a few beers. It is ones personal choice.

Reebo said:
sqwkvfr

you ready? we got four against your boys this week at chase.

I'm watching right now.

I didn't know that you guys picked up Aaron Sele. I actually met him about three years ago when he was in town for spring training....he is one hell of a nice, down-to-earth guy.

As I write this, it's 8-3 Dbacks top of the ninth...and I'm happy! :D

Reebo said:
sqwkvfr

you ready? we got four against your boys this week at chase.

This:

Dodgers first base coach Mariano Duncan was ejected by third base umpire Angel Hernandez in the first inning. Duncan was tossed when the Dodgers were complaining from the dugout after Hernandez ruled that Diamondbacks Luis Gonzalez and Chad Tracy had checked their swings.

Manager Grady Little came out to vehemently argue the ejection, then went to the dugout and Duncan came charging across the infield. Second base umpire Randy Marsh kept Duncan away from Hernandez. As he finally left, Duncan threw his hat at the umpire. Hernandez caught it, then walked to the fence and tossed it to a young fan.

....was the best part of the game. :D

Latest resources

Back