Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on SWA f/o arrested for intoxication.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:-) said:
BTW, why is it that the TSA smelled booze, but the other crew members did not?

How many of us can actually identify the smell of Ripple, Boones Farm or Old English 40oz? Takes one to know one.

What is SWA's drinking policy, 8 or 12 hours? Does SWA have a blood alcohol level that is allowed?

If this pilot only had two beers and a vodka 12 hours prior shouldn't he have had a level near zero?

Thanks!

Our company limit is .02.... I hope for his sake southwest doesnt have the same.

AA717driver said:
This guy will beat the rap. It will cost him a bunch of money and take forever since it's the Feds and they basically have no budget to worry about but he will beat it.

Won't SWAPA provide him with legal council free of charge? For all the bashers out there, that's what ALPA would do.

I've heard that they actually have a clause in their contract that demands that the hotels provide them with discounted beer, wine, and cocktails on overnights, I think it's called 1-2-3. Any truth to this? Talk about a recipe for disaster.

From the report I read it sounds like he went to Brewvies which is right behind our hotel in SLC. Very cool place to hang out but all there draft beer is 3.2 beer! Hardly anything to get your panties in a wad over. Now with that being said I usualy have a few beers with dinner. What would trigger a .039 the next day when I report to work? I dunno. We are all different and our bodies react differently to alcohol. Until we are all issued breathalizers with work and check ourselves before our flight the next day we will never know where we are at unless we dont drink at all! If it was me I would be getting a good laywer, filing a few wrongfull lawsuits claiming I was scared for life and never fly again with full pay!

Won't SWAPA provide him with legal council free of charge?

Yes, but it wont be free. SWAPA will flip the bill.

AA717driver said:
Until his blood test comes back, all this is conjecture.

Many brain cells ago I thought I heard a discussion about the blood test request wrt DUI - I think you can ask for one but I don't think the cops are under any obligation to give you one. Granted DUI is governed by state laws, but I think the standard is just breathalizer - take it or lose your license. Anyone know of a "right" to a bloodtest in this case?

Also, isn't the measured reading from a breathalizer call a "BAC" ? This must pass the legal-ese for a "blood" alcohol level, and I know that blood tests are not routinely done for DUI's - breathalizer is all it takes to convict on a DUI.

On a different note, I hope most would agree that this guy should not have gone to work, even if he did just blow under the limit. That being said, what level does it take to put a pilot in jail? What did the America West guys blow, or were they sunk because of the time-stamped security video of them drinking within 8 hours?

I hope it's not ulimately up to a zealous DA and a local Salt Lake jury of his "peers".

Latest resources

Back