United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boeingman said:
Did you ever wear one of those "TORQUE" pins? You know, the ones I used to see on so many UAL guys while they would lecture the CAL pilots to "fall on our swords for the good of the industry".

Employed at UAL since 98, NEVER even heard of "TORQUE" pins, please enlighten me.

You know Boeingman, these yarns are starting to sound like high school football stories, the one UAL A-hole turns into 5 then 20 then all of sudden it's the " So many UAL Pilots would lecture us".

koko nw said:
Employed at UAL since 98, NEVER even heard of "TORQUE" pins, please enlighten me.

Ask a few of your senior comrades (at least those with the integrity may mention or admit) about the underground TORQUE campaign against CAL (during the 2nd bk) in the early 90's. It stood for Try Our Real Quality United Experience. A large group of UAL employees (mainly in Denver) were wearing pins with a screw going through the CAL logo. Your pilots and agents would pull our customers out of ticket lines and offer them lower fares on UAL, pilots were slowing down on the runway to force go arounds. Pilots would make comments about safety on CAL to our passengers etc. etc.

United in the capacity as a corporation, nor did any of our "brother" unions make any attempt to stop this individual behavior. Is that enough enlightenment for you?

koko nw said:
You know Boeingman, these yarns are starting to sound like high school football stories, the one UAL A-hole turns into 5 then 20 then all of sudden it's the " So many UAL Pilots would lecture us".

Honestly, I don't care what you think of my perception or recollection of events before your time at UAL. I was there first hand to live through and experience numerous unprofessional acts and childish opinionated comments from far more than just "one" UAL pilot about CAL.

I just wish I could meet this "One UAL A-hole" you mentioned. Judging by these other posts and my memory, he sure did make a lot of lousy first impressions.

Last edited:
skykid said:
My guess is you will have a different outlook when it happens to you. With the way this industry goes, you are going to be fortunate, and I hope you are, for CAL not to go Ch11 for the 3rd time.

Not at all. If these brilliant MBA's running these airlines knew they wouldn't be let off the hook with these pension plans, they would take better financial care in planning their funding. Especially knowing the balance sheet would take a hit in a pension default.

Who knows what this industry will bring. All of us are one terrorist incident away from either a 7 or an 11 filing. I think CAL will make it though. For me, it is a moot point whether we fail or survive. I learned a long time ago never to rely on an airline for your income or retirement. But I appreciate the comment.

Thank you for the lesson in regards to the Torque program, really. I had no idea.

"United in the capacity as a corporation, nor did any of our "brother" unions make any attempt to stop this individual behavior. Is that enough enlightenment for you?"

Just like when your late CEO compared us to the AIDS epidemic and should be eradicated? Where where your outcries for your brothers after that blasemous statement against your "brothers"?

Come on we all have blood on our hands, it's in the eye of the heholder who is of lessor sin.

"Honestly, I don't care what you think of my perception or recollection of events before your time at UAL. I was there first hand to live through and experience numerous unprofessional acts and childish opinionated comments from far more than just "one" UAL pilot about CAL. "

I can't and will not speak for them, if your accounts are true, then shame on them.

Tailwinds to you Mr. Boeingman.

koko nw said:
Thank you for the lesson in regards to the Torque program, really. I had no idea.

No problem and sorry for my bitchy reply. It brings back a lot of bad memories and I find it difficult initially to remember not everyone fits into the mold of others. With my advancing age I should not assume everyone is aware of the past sins and transgressions of their peers from years past.

koko nw said:
Just like when your late CEO compared us to the AIDS epidemic and should be eradicated? Where where your outcries for your brothers after that blasemous statement against your "brothers"?

I agree it was completely uncalled for, yet for the rank and file it is much more difficult to stem hot air or slanderous actions from the CEO than vis versa down the corporate food chain.

koko nw said:
Come on we all have blood on our hands, it's in the eye of the heholder who is of lessor sin.

Agreed and point taken.

koko nw said:
I can't and will not speak for them, if your accounts are true, then shame on them.

People reap what they sow. I thought about those times quite often watching UAL over the last several years. My conclusion is always that in the end everyone gets hurt. Even the arrogant idiots that wished ill upon others are victims because no one wins in these situations. My only hope is those that acted in an immature manner will reflect back and realize how unprofessional and arrogant they sounded.

koko nw said:
Tailwinds to you Mr. Boeingman.

To you as well.

skykid said:
Agreed, United pilots caused the demise of these airlines. We also turned our backs on all orphans, WWII veterans, and battered housewifes. Its that UAL pilot that B6Driver flew with in 1991 and Oldxfr8dog remembers - he is the ringleader and it is certainly intelligent to lump the whole group together.

I didn't say the UAL pilots CAUSED the demise of these airlines (the respective causes are well documented). I just said the UAL (and AA, DAL and USAir) pilots stood on the sidelines cheering as it happened. Did ALL of those airlines' pilots hope for and cheer on the demise? No. But the vast
majority did at least exhibit benign indifference for the plight of their fellow pilots.

We are simply returning the favor. And, I guess I should be asking Airbusnut 'who the hell is he' to expect any of us to give a crap about HIS career? Again, just returning the favor.

Like I said, suck it up, stop snivelling and get your resume together--just like thousands of others have had to do in the past 15 years or so.TC

I just said the UAL (and AA, DAL and USAir) pilots stood on the sidelines cheering as it happened. Did ALL of those airlines' pilots hope for and cheer on the demise? No. But the vast
majority did at least exhibit benign indifference for the plight of their fellow pilots.
That is the most stupid and uninformed statement I've seen to date on this forum, and that is saying a lot. You are now returning a "favor?" You have problems.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
Agreed. However with Billions in assets still on hand, UAL (or any other company) should be forced to liquidate such assets to fund their pension obligations prior to an outright default.

The bankruptcy laws need a major rewrite for this as pension underfunding will mirror the the S&L crisis of the 80's. The way it is now, only the employees (i.e. peons) get screwed.

Agreed, and in esence I believe that is what congres tried to tell Tilton. In the case of United, pensions were underfunded by around $9.8 billion. The PBGC would have covered around $6.6 billion of the obligations, now they can make up the difference with UAL assets. If the pensions were dumped onto the PBGC like UAL wanted, then the PBGC would not be eligable to recoupe a dime from liquidation. Congress told all of the other majors and companies like GM, that your pension debts will not just disapear unter CH11.

What's amazing to me is the fact that Tilton actually thought that he could just dump almost $7 BILLION of under funded ension debt on the US tax payer and get away with it. What's even more amazing is now that he can't do it, he doesn't have a plan B.

labbats said:
Simply put, wouldn't it be a better overall answer for United to simply fold rather than set a precedent of pension raiding to overcome bankruptcy? .

YES :)

free market--level field---swim or sink----no help from gov't--- join the club buddy

skykid said:
The days of a healthy A AND B fund are gone forever.

There is no such thing as an unhealthy B fund. If terminated you still get the money deposited into your portfolio. Unlike the A-fund when a deposit is made the money is yours and cannot be touched by the company.

Latest resources

Back