• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airbusnut1 said:
AA717 I say again you are a fool.
And no I do not fly for UAL

No you are the fool, A717 speaks the truth.

You may feel that the bill passed by congress has no teeth, that's your opinion. From the take of the Morningstar author I get the feeling it has teeth, he even go so far as to mention the 10/2005 date when the bill would become law.

I don't think you understand where the PBGCs money come from. I tell you what, I prohibit G4G5 from spending any of my money for the next fiscal year starting in October. Not going to affect you is it? The House bill states the PBGC can't use federal funds from next year's budget for United pensions. Okay, done.

IF UAL goes away tomorrow people will not stop flying. The jobs transfer to a different company (toyota in kentucky, BMW in GSP, Hundai in AL). The only thing that changes is the name on the top of the paycheck.

Yep, I heard JetBlue was going to pick up the Vietnam flights. Fact is, a bunch of flying will go to foreign carriers and we will never see it again.

Airbusnut1,
I to was there and heard to many comments myself.
You are the clueless one on this run. United has no one to blame but themselves. Greed was not good for them, the price was too high to pay. Now they'll pay forever.

Airbusnut1 said:
"It's pretty much a fact of life, pilots will eat their young and step over the corpse of a dead airline to improve their own lot in life."

Thats a sad quote, get some help dude.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mr Wizard. And no thanks, don't need any help.

Did you even read Boeingman's comments on the previous pages regarding the UAL guys looking down their noses at CAL pilots and trying to bury them? You gonna say that never happened? Get a clue.

And you call AA717 a fool? Nice...

skykid said:
Yep, I heard JetBlue was going to pick up the Vietnam flights. Fact is, a bunch of flying will go to foreign carriers and we will never see it again.

I believe a lot of international flying will eventually be done by non-U.S. carriers. Are we to establish "Natiional carriers" again? Should we embark on the protectionism as the rest of the world is opening their doors to business? TWA, PanAm and UAL used to have intra-Europe flying. Now, EasyJet does that. If any of the U.S. carriers could have become as effecient as EasyJet or Ryannair, they would still be plying the skies between Rome and Paris.

JetBlue can't fly to VN today but it's not exactly like going to the moon. ATA has been flying all over the world for a couple of decades. I'm sitting in Mumbai, India right now. It was a no-brainer getting here.

It doesn't take a UAL or AA to fly international. If JB or Air Vietnam can do it cheaper, they will take market share from the less effecient carriers regardless of their history and previous stature in the U.S. airline business. The world has shrunk and those who fail to keep up will go by the wayside.

Good luck.TC

Airbusnut1 said:
AA717 I say again you are a fool.
And no I do not fly for UAL

Airbusnut1,

I suggest you quit while you are way way behind. AA717 has made you his bitch time and time again and yet you still come back for more. Quit bringing a knife to a gun fight. You are out-matched and you cannot win.

And FWIW me being a Native AA'er and AA717 being from TWA I have disagreed with him on many many many things. HOWEVER, he aint know fool and you can't compete in any debate with him

You have been schooled. Go home junior.

Dangerkitty said:
Airbusnut1,

I suggest you quit while you are way way behind. AA717 has made you his bitch time and time again and yet you still come back for more. Quit bringing a knife to a gun fight. You are out-matched and you cannot win.

And FWIW me being a Native AA'er and AA717 being from TWA I have disagreed with him on many many many things. HOWEVER, he aint know fool and you can't compete in any debate with him

You have been schooled. Go home junior.

From another "native", Airbusnut, you did indeed lose this debate.

Well said TC. OK, back to arguing! :p

It doesn't take a UAL or AA to fly international. If JB or Air Vietnam can do it cheaper, they will take market share from the less effecient carriers regardless of their history and previous stature in the U.S. airline business. The world has shrunk and those who fail to keep up will go by the wayside.

Good luck.TC[/QUOTE]

How CHEAP/EFFECIENT are you willing too go? There's a certain standard of living most americans are accustomed too. If keeping up and competing against Air Vietnam means living off of Air Vietnam wages....are you willing?

I don't have the answers, but this continual slide has got to stop somewhere.
If not, your going to see Air Vietnam, Nigeria, you name it they'll fly there for pennies against our dollars...

If that's your efficient future....

Cheers

Thanks, kitty and aa73... Now, back to our regularly scheduled pi$$ing contest! :D

koko nw--I'm not advocating flying for pennies, that's just what is happening now. On my current swing through Asia and India, there are startups everywhere. Same for Europe. It's not so much that they are paying low wages to pilots (I believe they are paying LCC market rates based on that particular country's standard of living) but overall labor costs are really low.

Pay will have to rise in these emerging markets. The big story yesterday was that there will be a shortfall of around 3,000 pilots in India alone in the next few years. Jobs are available in Asia--Air VN, Air Asia, Dragonair... If you don't mind living over here, you will have work.TC

AA717....No argument here in regards to job's available elsewhere. I personally choose not to pursue them.
I've flown oversea's for the last 18 years and lived abroad on and off for 12, and can say with a degree of certainty, most people would have no idea the hardships involved.

Ran into an ex-pat from Canada for instance with a 3 year contract with I believe Malaysian Airlines in Kuala Lumpur....Very happy to have a job but at the same time counting the day's until he could get a job back home. Dealing with a built in language barrier and customs can quickly ostrasize (sp) you from your "co-workers" on and off the job.

Computers, clothes, toy's...you name it, it's being produced somewhere else, more efficiently and much much cheaper. It's just not our industry. But I digress, I'll stick my head back into the sand and wish it all away :)

By the way, pretty cool flying you got yourself into. I'm jealous.

Enjoy your layovers.

cheers

Latest resources

Back