• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Transmissions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never understood the community headset thing. Even when I was a poor commuter dog flying clapped-out Metros, I still sprang for my own headset. I'm no germaphobe, but sharing a headset with your entire seniority list would be right up there with sharing your ChapStick in my book. Plus the company-issued headsets inevitably are among the worst quality because they go for the bottom-dollar.

Don't be such cheap-f'ers. A headset is a tool of our trade. Save your hearing and help out everyone else on the frequency.

If you can afford to buy your job/ type rating
you should be able to buy a fancy headset.

I was a ear spike guy with foam plug in the other for years. Did the QC2 until the kernals f$cked up that deal. I now use DC X over the ears. Works pretty good and its not a thousand bucks. Hearing gets to be a concern after a lifetime of exposure to loud noises.

Do yourself a favor and take care of your ears. Not wearing hearing protection when you fly is like welding without a hood.

Some of us are stuck in a hotel on Labor Day. Hope you are enjoying your time off.

I enjoyed mine, and I'm jr in MDW. Grilled some steaks, made some potato salad and baked some beans. Had some neighbors over, drank too many beers.

Man it was good....too bad you had to fly. I block bid my Vayyyy-Kayyy too. This Jr guy has Christmas off....yaay for me !

I enjoyed mine, and I'm jr in MDW. Grilled some steaks, made some potato salad and baked some beans. Had some neighbors over, drank too many beers.

Man it was good....too bad you had to fly. I block bid my Vayyyy-Kayyy too. This Jr guy has Christmas off....yaay for me !

Bully for you, I guess... :confused:

Ain't nothin' manlier than bein' deaf, eatin' squirrel, buyin' clothes at Home Depot, and writin' like this, eh flopgut?

I guess everyone else has "low-T" if I read that correctly a few pages ago.

P.S. well made crepes taste great.

"United" is two different airlines that have been using the same radios for over 25 years. I don't believe we're the problem at all. What's going on is too many pilots have forgotten how to communicate. Pilots need to think about what they're going to say, put the mic to their mouth and speak normally. Then stop talking. Way too many pilots yammer, jabber, giggle, and elaborate with ATC in the US. Check in, then shut up!! F-ing SWA can NOT make one transmission without trying to obtain something from ATC. Every keyed mic has to get them something. A direct an altitude or a "good day" or a joke or a "how ya doing". They love to hear themselves talk (literally! They love their own voices' sound in these acoustically perfect headsets) and their mgt wants them to talk. It's like the bum who walks up to you and wants a quarter. He asks a thousand people a thousand times and it's the easiest quarter he ever makes even it's gets just 1 in 10. This is a RADIO. It's for ATC. This is suppose to be different than visiting with your wife, or broker, or whoever on a telephone or online. This problem would go away if everyone used the exact same headset. AND treated the radio like it's for communication and not used for building up your paycheck or company's bottom line. That's one problem that United does NOT have (might be the only one) so we should not be the ones changing. Ours is the example that should be followed.

I know I certainly like to hear my own voice. But,....if you had my voice flop....

So you're saying your background noise and side tones are would be less annoying if we would stop talking and saying hello?
That makes sense.

Hey, make sure you ask about the rides into Denver though:)

(We all know this one's true!^^^^) :):);)

Haha Wave!!!! Let's see...it's Denver, it's windy with white puffy things all around...I think as a good pilot I think I can figure our it's bumpy! Flop just asks because he's worried about his ear spike falling, combover flying all over the place and the hemmrhoids are flaring up because not enough fiber! Time to bid Cleveland! Oh wait....

Most controllers would rather not have the "How ya doin?" and also the "Have a good day" or "Have a good weekend" or the pathetic "Have a good one!". They just want the necessary information without the nonsense. When they give you a frequency change, just read it back and drop the useless pleasantries. They hear that useless, meaningless, insincere crap over and over and over again. Some years ago when controllers could ride jumpseat, one asked me why on Earth pilots feel the need to tell the controller they are talking to "....is with you". As this controller said. ------ what a useless, redundant, time wasting phrase, only topped in stupid uselessness with ".....checking in with you".

Latest resources

Back