• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The next company video you receive, the next company brochure you see, the next issue of the in-flight magazine look at who is pictured representing the pilot group.

I am sure the pilots represented in any company publication shown is a minority or a woman pilot.

You will not find a young white male pictured in a company publication guaranteed.

Not true but are you somehow trying to make a point? What the F does that have to do with the subject? Is that your proof?

Not true but are you somehow trying to make a point? What the F does that have to do with the subject? Is that your proof?

Simmer down. You sound like the only racist on this thread...

Deep breaths...

Q. What's the difference between Black Pilots and White Pilots?

A. Absolutely Nothing.

Why aren't we (as people) beyond this ********************?

Cheers.

I had mentors that were Tuskegee Airman that have flown in wars that wouldn't get the time of day by UAL at that point in time.

That's true. Up until the seventies. It was a disgrace.

I got no problem with actively recruiting certain folks, as long as they meet the same minimums. A thousand PIC turbine will seperate the wheat from the chaff.

But I saw some leave ASA for UAL with ~500 hours TT and zero turbine PIC. Not cool. But that was ten years ago.....

I think what we are seeing with D-Bo is an unfortunate by-product of affirmative action. Here is a totaly qualified black pilot who worked his way up and shouldn't have to answer to anyone, but the reality is is that because affirmative action has allowed some (not all) very low time, inexperienced pilots into the ranks of the majors, this "label" now sticks to all minorities, to which they spend a lifetime defending. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Yes there was a time and place for affirmative action. The cycle of excluding minorities had to be broken somehow, but I think now is the time it should be ended.

If I was a black or female pilot with the type of quals. as D-Bo, I would be pissed that others were getting hired because of their race or sex and not their experience. It tarnishes all the rest of the minorities reputations, and that shadow of doubt seems to never leave.

Get rid of affirmative action and no one can ever say you got hired for any other reason except that you were qualified for the job.

Race or sex shouldn't even be on the app.

Last edited:
Most of us have seen this. This is for the new guys. It's about 12 years old and a classic. Author unknown to me. Note to self....didn't work so hot for a cover letter last time around.

"I have 500 hrs and big knobby boobs and fly 747s w/ cathode ray tubes.

I may not know what Im doing or why, but I fly for the UNITED in the minority sky.

We are the pride of United fleet w/ Debbie, Tyrone, and Abdul Raheet.

In UAL ground school I flunked my exam, but it didn't matter I have a bearded clam.

I departed DEN on hot afternoon and one of the Boeings engines quit 10 knots too soon.

From the left to the right we started to swerve, but w/ my very low time, I lost my nerve.

She started to to rock and she started to roll and I knew real soon we would be a firey hole.

Then my Captain took over and stoped that big hog, he's a great pilot he was a commuter dog."

If I was a black or female pilot with the type of quals. as D-Bo, I would be pissed that others were getting hired because of their race or sex and not their experience. It tarnishes all the rest of the minorities reputations, and that shadow of doubt seems to never leave.

Get rid of affirmative action and no one can ever say you got hired for any other reason except that you were qualified for the job.

Race or sex shouldn't even be on the app.

What pisses me off is the misconception that only minorities are and were hired with low time. That isn't the case. And I'm not talking about 10 or 15 years ago. I'm talking about now. For those of you out there that think that white guys got hired at United with less than 1000 hours in the 90s, you're wrong. And I'm not just talking about a handful of guys. Somehow they deserved it and somehow some of us only got hired because of our group. In case some out there don't know, black pilots at UAL only represent LESS than 1% of the entire group. 0.5% to be exact.

Look, I don't care what someone else had when they got hired. More folks on this board need to worry about themselves. That's the only thing you can control.

nothing i wrote was racist either d-bo.

i was just sharing some facts i witnessed during my own experiences. minorities, woman and pilots who's daddies are senior captains are generally inexperienced, unqualified according to the mimimum standards outlined and do not meet the minimum qualifications everyone else is required to meet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back