• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5 year scales:

Piedmont Dash-8(300) CA: $56/hour
Republic E175 CA: $77/hour

15 year scales:
Piedmont Dash-8 (300) CA: $72/hour
Republic E175 CA: $105/hour

I wouldn't exactly say "about the same"...

Work Rules and pay credit much better at Piedmont. I know people at Republic that usually get 85-90 hrs of credit a month. We usually get 100-105.

Don't get me wrong, we work way harder to get our money. Six leg days in a hot Airplane... Grrrr

Don't just look at the Captains rates, I believe our FO's make more money on the Dash the first year then Republic.

Last edited:
This is what the RJ's have done. Many folks are happy with 80-100k a year, with 3 to 4 vaction slots living in base.

Hmmmm, I can't blame those that haven't moved on to a major. Believe me, I have applied at a few Majors and I for one am still lucky to have my Regional Job in this state of the Airline industry. That mainline job isn't what it was 10-15 years ago.

We can only hope that working at a major will one day be a dream job again.

The problem is that many of the "lifers" dont look past their nose when it comes to their "careers". The long term viability of making a "career" at a regional really isnt a reality for most. "Career" meaning imho 20+ years remaining. Sure its nice to be a regional captain making decent money but most regionals probably wont be around 20+ years. Thus making it worthwhile to move on asap.

With that said i know no major is safe either but most of the big airlines have a far better chance of being around throughout a career than a regional. To each their own but the majority of us didnt get into this profession only to hopefully "retire" at a regional.

The problem is that many of the "lifers" dont look past their nose when it comes to their "careers". The long term viability of making a "career" at a regional really isnt a reality for most. "Career" meaning imho 20+ years remaining. Sure its nice to be a regional captain making decent money but most regionals probably wont be around 20+ years. Thus making it worthwhile to move on asap.

With that said i know no major is safe either but most of the big airlines have a far better chance of being around throughout a career than a regional. To each their own but the majority of us didnt get into this profession only to hopefully "retire" at a regional.

OK, let's put your comments in perspective. How many years was it for you from CFI to major airline-3 years?
The problem is that people like to opine on what others should do in their career and in turn, make judgements.
You're what, 27-28 and at a major? Imagine if you started looking for a regional job today. You get hired at a "decent" regional in which the upgrade is now 6-years +. You get married and start a family and commute the entire time. When you upgrade, your schedule starts all over again while commuting on reserve. By the time you upgrade, your kids are 4 and 6. You then spend 2.5 years getting the 1,300-1,500 competitive turbine PIC hours. By the time you are competitive to be hired by a major, you are 37 and the kids are 7 and 9. Now you are faced with the current landscape of airlines paying $29K first year with no healthcare the first 6-months. Throw impending furloughs on top of the significant pay reduction.
To your comment that most of the major airlines have a far better chance of being around throughout a career than a regional-how do you know this? I'll bet that most who left the military or regionals for majors the past year and face impending furlough would soon love to be "lifers who don't look past their nose when it comes to their careers."
The older you are, the less your wife works, the longer the commute, and the more kids you have really changes the amount of risk one is willing to take.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I am always shocked that so many pilots get excited about an airlines demise. The common thought is we will get more RJ flying or Ill upgrade faster.

We all try to make educated decisions on which company to work for. Ironically, most of you took the first airline that hired you.......Its not about what you fly. Its about having a good pay scale. The majority of you have never even flown a turboprop! You need to grow up and realize that your profession is dying and those PIC hours you wish to obtain soon wont matter.

After making it to a major, I will be furloughed shortly. Ive been at a regional before and wont go back. Im leaving the industry to spend more time with my family. That is what is important!

For the record , most of us dont want an express job again. Keep in mind your gain is always someone elses loss. You may be the next one to lose how will you feel?

Last edited:
Work Rules and pay credit much better at Piedmont. I know people at Republic that usually get 85-90 hrs of credit a month. We usually get 100-105.

Don't get me wrong, we work way harder to get our money. Six leg days in a hot Airplane... Grrrr

Don't just look at the Captains rates, I believe our FO's make more money on the Dash the first year then Republic.

Hey! We already had a RAH vs Piedmont thread. don't bring this topic up again PLEASE!

If a mainline/Legacy carrier parks mainline aircraft and furloughs pilots WHILE they grow the express carriers to replace that mainline flying, then those new aircraft at the express carrier should be crewed by some sort of furloughed pilot ratio.

It is not taking jobs away from the regional carrier if it is new aircraft that they are crewing.

At the same time, it behooves the regional feeders to work with mainline to ensure mainline doesn't go out of business.

As a former regional Capt who is now at a Major, there exsists the possibility that I could be furloughed in the fall. I personally don't think it will happen, just posturing from the company... but if it does, and we park 737's while growing Q400 operations then some sort of agreement has to be worked out between the management of the 2 companies and the pilots of the 2 companies!

Always
Motch

Last edited:
As a former regional Capt who is now at a Major, there exsists the possibility that I could be furloughed in the fall. I personally don't think it will happen, just posturing from the company... but if it does, and we park 737's while growing Q400 operations then some sort of agreement has to be worked out between the management of the 2 companies and the pilots of the 2 companies!

Yea right.... since when has Mgt asked the pilots "How should we do this?"

If a mainline/Legacy carrier parks mainline aircraft and furloughs pilots WHILE they grow the express carriers to replace that mainline flying, then those new aircraft at the express carrier should be crewed by some sort of furloughed pilot ratio.

It is not taking jobs away from the regional carrier if it is new aircraft that they are crewing.

At the same time, it behooves the regional feeders to work with mainline to ensure mainline doesn't go out of business.

Always
Motch

If the planes are put on the regional certificate, then those jobs belong to the regional group....Mainline pilots aren't entitled to superseniority at the regionals when the going gets tough.....Just like regional pilots aren't entitled to mainline jobs when the times are good.....

Is this the best system? NO.....But it is the system WE created.....If you want to negotiate....then let's negotiate some quids....otherwise apply and take your spot at the bottom of the list.....

Always
Motch

So let me see if I have this logic straight. You are entitled to a job with a subcontractor because the company you work for has a contract with said subcontractor?

So where does this stop? If a CSR gets laid off, is it mandatory for the catering sub to give them jobs? You chose to leave for "greener pastures", get over yourself and your sense of entitlement...

Mainline pilots sometime forget that they played a part in this situation. By allowing bigger and bigger equipment to be subcontracted to other pilot groups, where did you think this was going to wind up? Bottom line short term benefit equalled long term pain...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back