• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UNITED changing name to United Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why is a FO from another airline ENTITLED to a Captain position at mine? If they want a job flying, They can start in the right seat like anybody else would.

Last edited:
Please tell me of a time when a major helped give access to jets to a regional that didn't have them before

and would not have had them at all,

but because a mainline helped the regional get access to these new jets that they would not have had otherwise

the mainline in the deal had the regional as part of contract give those seats to the mainline furloughs

and when times got better, older pilots retired, and the fuloughs were recalled there were more seats now available to the pilots at the regional that would not have been there before.

Has this happened? Just asking? Not saying anything is good or bad. Just don't spend my entire life learning about contract history.

Last edited:
Getting furloughed is one thing....however getting furloughed because your company is contracting the flying out to the lowest or lower bidder....totally different. If those planes that get more flying have United colors on them, and are the reason the UA pilots are getting laid off.....they should get dibs on the LEFT SEAT.....the only reason your flying that RJ around is because of mainline....its not your flying, it belongs to United.

That's Fine. If mainline wants to fly these dammed RJ's they can go buy their own. If mainline wants to give the flying away due to poor buisness practices, you are entitled to nothing. If we allow you to be in the right seat, you should be grateful, but with your attitude you probably wont be hired. Lets hope that for your sake and for the industries sake that there is no furlogh and no regional growth.

That's Fine. If mainline wants to fly these dammed RJ's they can go buy their own. If mainline wants to give the flying away due to poor buisness practices, you are entitled to nothing.

Precisely, unless it is negotiated between ALL parties, including the regional pilots, in which case, I would hope those regional pilots get something out of it. Mainline might own the flying, but they don't own the regional seniority list. Neither do mainline pilots, unless it is specifically bargained for from the pilots who do own it.

Skaff said:
Lets hope that for your sake and for the industries sake that there is no furlogh and no regional growth.

Let's hope for everyone's sake that their are no furloughs (but it seems likely). Whether or not there is regional growth (with the exception of what little stand alone, at-risk flying is done at the regional level), is entirely up to mainline management and mainline pilots.

. If we allow you to be in the right seat, you should be grateful, but with your attitude you probably wont be hired. .

How exactly do you not get hired at a regional these days? Do you have to die on the way out of the interview?

How about this novel concept-- f*** the 'express' carrier and that division of seniority. These problems you are all voicing is why it NEVER should have happened in the first place. Any new jet: set a payrate and it's flown by UAL pilots. Period. What in god's name has to be done to learn this lesson? To furlough guys when a company is taking on new airplanes is so INSANE it's ridiculous. I can't even understand why the turboprops shouldn't be on the property...

Why is a FO from another airline ENTITLED to a Captain position at mine? If they want a job flying, They can start in the right seat like anybody else would.

First, you're an idiot.
2nd, they shouldn't
b/c "your" flying should never have been yours in the first place... you fly it to both you and the major airline pilot's mutual detriment... If you think long term- the entire premise behind 'express' carriers is about dividing up seniority and careers and keeping pay low...

That being said- it's not any "regional" pilot's fault. Mainline pilots sold you out- and didn't think long-term enough to know that they couldn't sell you out w/o affecting themselves as well...

SCOPE IS SACRED. Get Planes back on mainline lists... not the other way around.

How about this novel concept-- f*** the 'express' carrier and that division of seniority. These problems you are all voicing is why it NEVER should have happened in the first place.

I don't disagree with you, but that ship has sailed.

waveflyer said:
Any new jet: set a payrate and it's flown by UAL pilots. Period. ... I can't even understand why the turboprops shouldn't be on the property...

Fine. UAL can go out and buy or lease the aircraft, put it on their ticket and fly it with pilots on UAL's seniority list. Or, if someone else buys or leases the aircraft and puts it on their own ticket, UAL can negotiate for the rights you seek.

Mainline management and mainline pilots get nothing automatically for planes owned or leased by someone else and flown by pilots on some other seniority list. You don't like it? Prepare to negotiate. Or tell your management you'll burn it to the ground if they don't negotiate what you want for you. Matters not to me.

waveflyer said:
What in god's name has to be done to learn this lesson? To furlough guys when a company is taking on new airplanes is so INSANE it's ridiculous.

It is insane. Why did mainline pilots agree to such an arrangement? But since they did, we have a situation that reminds me of the old bumper sticker I had on my '74 VW van:

Ass, gas, or grass: no one rides for free.

I don't disagree with you, but that ship has sailed.

Fine. UAL can go out and buy or lease the aircraft, put it on their ticket and fly it with pilots on UAL's seniority list. Or, if someone else buys or leases the aircraft and puts it on their own ticket, UAL can negotiate for the rights you seek.

Mainline management and mainline pilots get nothing automatically for planes owned or leased by someone else and flown by pilots on some other seniority list. You don't like it? Prepare to negotiate. Or tell your management you'll burn it to the ground if they don't negotiate what you want for you. Matters not to me.

It is insane. Why did mainline pilots agree to such an arrangement? But since they did, we have a situation that reminds me of the old bumper sticker I had on my '74 VW van:

Ass, gas, or grass: no one rides for free.

Very unemotional response, RS. To sum your response up to waveflyer, it may not be logical, but it is what it is. What he/she's proposing is akin to a national seniority list-logical, but just ain't gonna happen.

Latest resources

Back