• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you are just thinking about applying?? I and thousands of others have had Aps in since the first week they were open to Aps, been to job fairs etc and now they are not even interviewing. so?? good luck, keep thinking.

So, it's first come, first served in regards to hiring? I'm sure all of the mil dudes wouldn't be too keen on that.

CAL was on a downhill roll since 2004 when Gordo was fired. Plenty of warts over there. Now the super regional mismanagement that was CAL is running a much larger combined airline. Extremely poorly.

Both sides had their warts premerger. To pretend that CAL was the bestest airline out there shows your inability to deal with reality. CAL wasn't even able to track pilot duty day, much less provide accurate paychecks. Funny, the errors on my paychecks have always gone in favor of the company.

CAL may have been a pretty good airline in 2004; by 2009 it was just another crappy airline. To describe it as anything else is facetious.

Fact: Larry Kellner was right. Enough said.

You are wasting precious energy still fixating on "sides."

Wasting time? I'm not doing anything you haven't already done yourself. Just like you I'm looking at what new possibilities there might be, and there really aren't any coming from my direction. It's not even a matter of seniority. The flying sUAL brought to the merger is boring compared to sCAL. What am I missing? What's the best BES in the sub UAL system for either a senior FO or junior CA?

Wasting time? I'm not doing anything you haven't already done yourself. Just like you I'm looking at what new possibilities there might be, and there really aren't any coming from my direction. It's not even a matter of seniority. The flying sUAL brought to the merger is boring compared to sCAL. What am I missing? What's the best BES in the sub UAL system for either a senior FO or junior CA?

Type of flying that is "boring or exciting" would be a matter of personal preference, sort of like looking at art. If you think the exciting flying is on the Guppy then I would suggest staying there. If you want to do something else bid it. Two large airlines merged, surely you can find something that you like. If all of the sub UA is boring to you.......don't bid it. It's pretty much as simple as that. You always have the option of Sparky if you prefer that. Not sure what else I can say.

FWIW....During the short time I have been on the Guppy I have been to SJU and PUJ. Interestingly enough I flew those trips out of either IAD or ORD. These are the same flights I flew on the Bus. Would the fact that UCH put the Guppy be on the same routes "UAL" pilots flew be the fault of sub UAL pilots? This plays into my statement that it's too late to take sides....it's over.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject....but, I've been told by the last couple of retreads I've flown with that all the folks who are not trained by whatever deadline and garner displacement rights are going to be bumping junior sCAL Captains out of their bases. So not being able to hold the seat may not be an obstacle. But there are no sides.

Btw, the comment that the Airbus is a pig compared to the Boeing is amazingly ignorant. We have 767's and A330's for our Transpac flying. The Airbus outperforms the 767's across the board. The most obvious being our ability to top weather that the 767's can't. The 767 simply is not in the same league as the 767, although the 767 are lot better than the 757, but even the 757 is way better than the 737 for transpac flying.

Dan, no offense but to compare an airplane design form the late 70's to one form the early 90's is also amazingly ignorant.

Not to change the subject....but, I've been told by the last couple of retreads I've flown with that all the folks who are not trained by whatever deadline and garner displacement rights are going to be bumping junior sCAL Captains out of their bases. So not being able to hold the seat may not be an obstacle. But there are no sides.

I'm aware of that, and personally ok with it. I've been bumped out of captain before* and had a pretty sweet deal to bump into. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Can't imagine this is true, but it appears I'm better off bumping into any seat in the former cal system than looking at the UAL flying. The 787 is the obvious choice, but as soon as the 25th airplane comes sUAL guys will be on it. I don't want to fly a pos airplane and I want a variety of nice places to fly. That seems to relegate me to the sCAL system. That can't be 100% right. What's a nice bes to look for openings on the UAL side? I want no bunkie, 2 commutes max, and I don't care for Europe. 777 DCA, SFO or LAX?

*far easier to lose captain in a SLI than to an overnight retirement age change. At least for me anyway. Matter of fact, this SLI would have been a lot cleaner deal if retirement age had stayed 60. 65 had the exact same results as both strikes at our former airlines. Pilots who crossed are like the ones who stayed=windfall. Guys who toe the line=screwed. Hope nothing like either of those happen again. Greed has to stop.

It's a good thing to know your contract.

Latest resources

Back