• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Union: Delta wants to cut pilot jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Retirement is the only thing ANYONE should look forward to for the foreseeable future. The growth is OVER. GONE. GET IT?

Gone? We are parking a few planes for the Winter, and then bringing them back in the Spring (5 744s and some 767s). We were forcasting being 800 fat on pilots this Winter, but 150 short next Summer, which should mean something to you. Also, as someone earlier pointed out, more and more people are flying each year, and the poster stated 1 billion domestic passengers annually coming up here. Will it be done on RJs alone? You probably think so, you idiot. GET IT?

Bye Bye--General Lee

All I ever read about is more cuts. Sooner or later I believe Delta will furlough. Watch fuel sky rocket again and Delta will have no hedges in place again. The 747-200's are gone, 757's are being parked, 747-400's are being parked, all the DC-9's except the 50's will be gone in a year or two, the old 767's will probably be parked in a few years, and no one is retiring. There are a few 777's on order and we might get a few MD-90's. I've heard a rumor that we might order some more 330's. Overall though, Delta/NWA is an already-overstaffed shrinking airline. I will be one of the pilots furloughed when it happens. I would like to be optimistic, but I decided to open my eyes and accept the fact that furlough is inevitable. The best case scenario at this point is to be recalled within 3-4 years.

Fuel prices rose dramatically because of hedge funds driving up the prices. Where are they now? A lot are GONE, BK. And, we have hedged at the lower prices, but not everyone will give you hedges at $35 a barrel (where it was at the low point). Apparently we have hedged at a lower price, and even if it goes up to $70 a barrel, we will still be at HALF what it was last July. Calm down man! Get a hold of yourself. We all knew the 742s were going away, and we also know this Fall will be slow---so they are preparing for it. Offering early outs is a GOOD thing. It will really help the NWA pilots, and your new duty rigs haven't even come into effect yet. We also have 100 less RJs now this Summer than we did last Summer. That alone will bring us profits I am sure, and smiles on a lot of mainline pilots faces. Just think of the lack of delays in the pattern, and on the ground. Gas savings right there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is not about mitigating furloughs. This is about saving the company a ton of money in displacements only to have to have an AE six months later.

So can I expect my SIL to cover the entire hunting season in the ATL88B or what?

*Long Pause*

Nnnnnooooottttt.......

All I ever read about is more cuts. Sooner or later I believe Delta will furlough. Watch fuel sky rocket again and Delta will have no hedges in place again. The 747-200's are gone, 757's are being parked, 747-400's are being parked, all the DC-9's except the 50's will be gone in a year or two, the old 767's will probably be parked in a few years, and no one is retiring. There are a few 777's on order and we might get a few MD-90's. I've heard a rumor that we might order some more 330's. Overall though, Delta/NWA is an already-overstaffed shrinking airline. I will be one of the pilots furloughed when it happens. I would like to be optimistic, but I decided to open my eyes and accept the fact that furlough is inevitable. The best case scenario at this point is to be recalled within 3-4 years.

Nice to see that some people with a sense of logic are still flying airplanes somewhere.

Good post.

YKMKR

Last edited:
The airlines are run by retards, instead of charging what a ticket costs, they determine that the best way to make a profit is to take it from the employees pockets. Problem is employees are not the federal govt, when we print money on the color copier we go to jail.
PBR

While is agree it is sickening that our government is now printing money at unprecendented levels, do you really think management sits around and says... hmmm, we can either fight unions or we can ask our IT guy to raise our fares $25 across the board....... yeah, let's fight the pilots, flight attendants, dispatchers, mechanics and gate agents just for the fun of it

The economy is actually getting a bit better too compared to a couple months ago. Delta: We'll Be Profitable in '09

Haven't you figured out the game yet? They say things like this for Wall Street. They're desperately trying to get someone to invest in their airline stock during a depression.

Nobel prize winning economists are saying that the stimulus package, as modified by the Republican's, get's us about a third of the way across the crevasse. You conservative Delta pilots better hope that when Obama goes back to the well, there's another stimulus package to be had.

By the way, Comair employees are still getting profit sharing checks. Isn't that amazing?

Last edited:
We heard this same "annual profit" crap last year and the year before, and the year before that. I will believe it when (if ever) we see it.
How are you able to hear with that "beep beep beep" of the fryer noise in the background?

My prediction is that RA and Steenland will not be able to turn an annual profit while they are in charge. The INTL routes are just killing the bottom line, but they are too dumb to care.
My prediction is that 1 year from now, you will still be living in your mom's basement, and not upgraded to burger flipper.

-They can say whatever they want (again and again,) but the proof is where the rubber meets the road, and we sure haven't seen anything good happen around this financial black hole in years!
Speaking of black holes, I think your mom was looking for you earlier this morning. Did you skip recess or something?

-Looking real sharp in that Song plane, General!
Looking real sharp in that "fry hat," ****************************** bag!

Haven't you figured out the game yet? They say things like this for Wall Street. They're desperately trying to get someone to invest in their airline stock during a depression.
Another rjdc troll and his predictions. Amazing with all those smarts that the best you could do was rj f/o. And to think, somewhere there's a job missing its rocket scientist!

Nobel prize winning economists are saying that the stimulus package, as modified by the Republican's, get's us about a third of the way across the cravass. You conservative Delta pilots better hope that when Obama goes back to the well, there's another stimulus package to be had.
In other news, nobel prize winning economists are also stating that this is your face! Don't show up for that JFK commute looking like that junior!

By the way, Comair employees are still getting profit sharing checks. Isn't that amazing?
BFD! They're also the ones on furlough!

Latest resources

Back