Uniform Nazi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
letthebigdogeat said:
Yeah, or the one where he writes to look outside the cockpit on short final, and search for the windsock to determine wind direction/velocity.
letthebigdogeat said:
Quite honestly, IMO that is the worst advice I have ever heard. That's the last thing you want to do on short final.

What is so hard about taking a quick glance at a windsock that has its location marked on the airport diagram? If it is such bad advice, why do airports put out windsocks if it is so bad to look at them? Personally, I try to find the wind sock on every landing to get a good sight picture of what the wind is doing at the point of touchdown. (Sometimes the wind measuring station could be on the other side of the airport) You could take a cue from Delta and ask for a wind check every 20 seconds! (I've always wanted to ask a DL guy about this.) I've got an idea, why not just apply whatever amount of wind correction it takes? If the controller messed up and told you that you had a left crosswind when in fact it was from the right, would you apply left correction anyway? It is a different story when a front is approaching and you are worried about WS, but most days it seems silly at best to use the standard Delta pilot words... "Tally ho, wind check, how long is final, wind check, what is our sequence, no joy, wind check."

Sorry, I don't have the referenced article(s) in front of me. I usually throw away V1, or now "Flight Deck News" or whatever stupid name it has this week soon after finding it in my box. Uber V1 or V1 cut however, are different animals entirely. They warrant reading over and over. If you haven’t seen them in ATL, I think that they can e-mail you a copy. ([email protected]) I would assume that like someone else said, this was partly dry humor that some people missed. I don't think that writing articles is fun for any CP. From what I can gather, they are forced to write articles. If I were them I would try to have some fun with it too. In some cases I think that they are told what to write, or basically given a letter to sign. For instance, the whole idea of one DFW CP being overjoyed at no longer being a CP and the new base CP of SLC “choosing” a guy who has been here 1/3 the time over the guy he has worked with for years? Give me a break. (This is in reference to two letters recently posted in DFW ops.)

Anyway, don't we have better things to do than rip on a guy that actually helps pilots? And seriously, "IMO that is the worst advice I have ever heard." Surely you can’t be serious! What about Chuck T’s labor relations advice, Palmer’s FBI tactical advice, scheduling and their “Stand By” advice, the ZERO NET GAIN advice? Let us put some effort into correcting those things instead.

Gorditas

What, dare I ask, is uberV1? We haven't seen it out in Dallas, or at least I haven't.

Borat Sagdiyev said:
What, dare I ask, is uberV1? We haven't seen it out in Dallas, or at least I haven't.
I am surprised that being in DFW you never saw either of these fine publications. Uber V1 and V1 Cut were satirical renditions of the company version. They even made fun of “Suspender boy” for those of you who like to rip on him. In fact, I heard he even thought this was classic stuff. I was told the other day that a new version was going to print sometime soon.

Oh, BTW, I am not the publisher. I just find both newsletters amusing.

Gorditas

The verbal wind check I believe to have heard is in Delta's Sps and if so very well justified although annoying for sure. I personally try to limit the verbal check to only those days with extreme wind direction variation/strengths.

Windsocks to me are an excellent reference for takeoff. And if you're tooling around in your private plane and can't pull up the WX, overflying the field at pattern altitude and looking at the windsock to determine direction of wind for landing. If I'm flying the super cub and have hours to kill on final, yeah I might throw a glance at the windsock, but I simply don't think it to be practical or safe to do so in a high performance jet aircraft.

We have two pretty darn good wind direction indicators, one on the MFD and the other the nose of the airplane. The rest comes down to flying the airplane, NOT looking outside trying to find the windsock.

"And there I was, I just shot one heck of a smooth beautiful approach, right down to mins, at night...but I smacked it on the deck...sideways, I just couldn't find that darn windsock".

Just my opinion/technique.:D

shamrock said:
...I gotta think that his "educational" musings in V1 haven't done much to help his reputation with those of us in ATL.
For what it's worth, the article that made it into "the-publication-formerly-known-as-V1" bears very little resemblance to what R.C. actually wrote. The new editor has been tearing all the C.P.'s submissions to pieces.
Medeco said:
My old roomate who has since left was attacted by him...
"Attacted?" Wow, that must've hurt. :D
Medeco said:
You should never be yelled at around your peers for wearing an American flag tie.
Again, I haven't heard R.C. yell at anyone in the six-plus years I've known him. It's just not his style. If he points out a defect in your uniform and you suck it up and tell him you'll fix it (or even try some dry, deferential humor), that'll be the end of it. If you act like a jackass, guess what? You're going to have a problem.
Medeco said:
This pilot quit about a month later.
If he quit over that, then he wasn't going to make as an airline pilot anyway.
Medeco said:
I agree he helps the pilots more than others but [R.C.'s] professional ethics are the pits.
As a matter of fact, his ethical standards are probably higher than those of anyone else in Flight Ops. Get to know the guy, then tell me what you think of his professional ethics.

Lets not have a pissing contest

Typhoon1244 said:
For what it's worth, the article that made it into "the-publication-formerly-known-as-V1" bears very little resemblance to what R.C. actually wrote. The new editor has been tearing all the C.P.'s submissions to pieces."Attacted?" Wow, that must've hurt. :DAgain, I haven't heard R.C. yell at anyone in the six-plus years I've known him. It's just not his style. If he points out a defect in your uniform and you suck it up and tell him you'll fix it (or even try some dry, deferential humor), that'll be the end of it. If you act like a jackass, guess what? You're going to have a problem.If he quit over that, then he wasn't going to make as an airline pilot anyway.As a matter of fact, his ethical standards are probably higher than those of anyone else in Flight Ops. Get to know the guy, then tell me what you think of his professional ethics.

I spent just over 1.5 yrs there and I got to know him plenty. I have observed him talk to people in both ways.

Yelled, may have been a bit much to describe it, but he spoke loud enough for everyone in the room to hear him. Sorry, this is not the Airforce and he is not my General. We work in a corporate environment and should be treated with respect at all times. He acts like a principle of a High school.

This pilot certainly did not quit because of this. He is a Marine and graduate of the Citidale, I promise you he has more resolve than that. He quit because he was commuting for 1 yr while sitting reserve and flying once ever 60 days and one time almost 90 while leaving a wife and two kids at home. I did not work for him. He was trying to improve his family life.

Unfortunately for him, his marine reserve unit was activated the day after he turned in his resignation at ASA. And with top Mgt. guys like CS and NB they had no care to allow this man to take back his resignation even though they had all the facts.

It's pretty sad when you see a chain of command like DB, NB, CS, and RC and you know the history behind them.

For instance NB once landed with the parking brake on in the EMB120 and did not get fired, but he has no tolerance for someone trying to maximize there days off by taking approved LOA's and traveling the world, and wants to fire them for using pass privilages.

Again, ASA is not a high school, but we are treated in many ways like we are students. Although there are a few pilots who act like they are still in HS.

BTW, the new CP in SLC used to be roomates with RC so I am sure that helped him get the job in terms of how to interview. FF, has always been a company man and although he is difficult to fly a 4 day with he is a good guy with alot more professional ethics than RC and hopefully will be a good CP.

I have to agree that looking at the windsock is fine and good technique. I do it all the time too, its just one more thing in your scan.

Respectfully,
Medeco

Medeco said:
...his marine reserve unit was activated the day after he turned in his resignation at ASA. And with top Mgt. guys like CS and NB they had no care to allow this man to take back his resignation even though they had all the facts.
Typical, petty, ASA B.S. I'm sorry to hear about that. That's a real horsesh_t deal.
Medeco said:
Again, ASA is not a high school, but we are treated in many ways like we are students. Although there are a few pilots who act like they are still in HS.
Oh, I agree completely...just don't forget that it's upper management that sets the tone for the chief pilots.

As far as pilots acting like high schoolers...[putting on Devil's Advocate hat]...I recently heard somebody talking about the assignment of three chief pilots in SLC and asking "just how much 'adult supervision' do they think we need?" My reply is, "well, 'we' can't seem to stop taking off in the wrong airplane, landing at the wrong airport, and getting caught receiving blow-jobs in the ATR. Maybe we need more than you think!" :D

Typhoon1244 said:
... 'we' can't seem to stop taking off in the wrong airplane, landing at the wrong airport, and getting caught receiving blow-jobs in the ATR...
I think just realized I'm on the wrong airplane.

katanabob said:
I think just realized I'm on the wrong airplane.
I've had that thought myself.

What's up with the ATR crews, anyway? I never hear wild mini-orgy stories about the -110, -120, BAe, CR2, CR7, etc., but every ATR-driver I meet seems to be full of sordid tales of uncontained lust and debauchery. (Must be something in the coffee...)

Latest resources

Back