Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL MEC tough stance on Scope---keep it up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope... I said nothing of seniority... rather longevity....

For purposes up bidding better equipment as FOs, schedules, QOL.. the mainline pilots are better off than the RJ pilot who comes over...

I said nothing about seniority either. If you think that management will dig into their pockets and pay you 5th year pay during your 1st year out of the goodness of your heart you are sorely mistaken. If you think that a pilot group will give up something in their contract so that a 1st year pilot can come onboard at 5th year pay you are sorely mistaken. So...don't hold your breath for 5th year pay during your 1st year when/if you are hired. It's NOT going to happen.

From the uaua annual report,

"At December 31, 2009, the Company’s leased aircraft, scheduled future minimum lease payments under capital leases (substantially all of which are for aircraft) and operating leases having initial or remaining noncancelable lease terms of more than one year were as follows:

Operating Leases Mainline
Aircraft Regional Affiliates
Aircraft Non-aircraft ` Capital
Leases (b) Number of Leased Aircraft in Operating Fleet
United and UAL
113 252 116
"

the chart didn't make the transfer, but under Aircraft Regional Affiliates, the number of leases = 252.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

Again incorrect, on a few levels...

It will be beneficial for all RJ pilots to do so... but if senior RJ pilots operate the brand till the bitter end and get furloughed due to no choice of their own, AND they apply and pass the interview on their own accord, they get a longevity.. not seniority credit....

This credit is the burden of the company, not taken from ML pilots negotiation capital....

Seems ALPA has some type of obligation to RJ pilots... after all they are ALPA pilots...[/QUOTE]

You gotta get off of that one. 1437 Still waiting for alpa's obligation to the furloughed mainline guys. The above quote is a perfect example of the "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" which lies in the union. How can alpa support both sides? there is no support now. When the time comes just get in line and interview like everyone else. Once again as I was told, "furlough builds character". As a double furloughee through no fault of my own, I knew the risk. Please answer the question.

You gotta get off of that one. 1437 Still waiting for alpa's obligation to the furloughed mainline guys. The above quote is a perfect example of the "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" which lies in the union. How can alpa support both sides? there is no support now. When the time comes just get in line and interview like everyone else. Once again as I was told, "furlough builds character". As a double furloughee through no fault of my own, I knew the risk. Please answer the question.

I never stated that any RJ pilot would go ahead of the 1437. The RJ pilot must apply and interview.. most 15 year RJ pilots are so out of touch from the job market, havven't touched a log book in decades, got hired on when their regional was a mom and pop operation and their buddy Ricky Bobby got them the job....

How does this compare to the National Seniority List arguement? Pilots want credit for time served......

In addition, if senior RJ pilots want to try and game the system and wait for a pick slip to get their longevity credit they are losing seniority. Whereas if they updated thier log book, learned to interview, finish thier four year degree and apply now, they will have more seniority... then waiting for thier sandbox to crumble...

There is no seniority gain here... The longevity credit isn't a windfall like many seem to think it is.... consider it like a tax break or corporate subsidy....

That's going to be a tough sell to the 30-40% of us who have decided to make this a career and have good schedules....I'm willing to listen to your "offer", but getting stapled to the bottom of your list is a non starter....Not interested in commuting as a reserve FO.....

Feels good to be the big fish in the puddle?

I never stated that any RJ pilot would go ahead of the 1437. The RJ pilot must apply and interview.. most 15 year RJ pilots are so out of touch from the job market, havven't touched a log book in decades, got hired on when their regional was a mom and pop operation and their buddy Ricky Bobby got them the job....

How does this compare to the National Seniority List arguement? Pilots want credit for time served......

In addition, if senior RJ pilots want to try and game the system and wait for a pick slip to get their longevity credit they are losing seniority. Whereas if they updated thier log book, learned to interview, finish thier four year degree and apply now, they will have more seniority... then waiting for thier sandbox to crumble...

There is no seniority gain here... The longevity credit isn't a windfall like many seem to think it is.... consider it like a tax break or corporate subsidy....

Rez, MGT. Are the people that are going to need to be convinced. To be honest, it is going to be very hard to get the flying back. Mainline pilots will sacrifice pay and work rules. We may need to strike. If you believe that I am going to give up pay and benefits so that a guy that does not want to make the sacrifices that I made have it easy I will not. If the regionals keep expanding this profession will never amount to jack. The whipsaw is destroying the regional industry. I am willing to sacrifice to get rid of the whipsaw, to make this profession better for everyone in the long term. Why should I be the only one though.

The bottom line is that as a Mainline pilot I will not approve a contract that relieves my CAL scope. That is what I am willing to do to get rid of MGT'S whipsaw. What are the regional pilots going to do to get rid of it? So far it sounds like nothing, the are just making demands.

Last edited:
What Joe doesn't realize is that he doesn't have a seat at the table. It's up to the negotiating committee and the new UAL management. You're destiny is being controlled by other entities.

Latest resources

Back