Trickle down economics and the airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The losing side always comes "unglued".

Do you remember the "end of the world" pronouncements made by Rush Limbaugh and the Republicans after Clinton won in 1992? I sure do, I was a rabid dittohead back then.

No, I remember the lawsuits and the recounts...

Trickle down economics, oh yeah the good ole' steal from the middle class and give to the rich. The last thirty years of all out war on the middle class has caused a disparity beween the middle class and the wealthy we haven't seen since just before the great depression.

The old disparity argument. Care to back it up with some facts? Show us please the census or income data that shows more people moving up into the top tax bracket and people in the middle moving down the brackets, this I would love to see.

Consider this:

Obama wins every state that is considered "safe" for him, and hangs on to win every "leaning" state in which he has at least a ten point lead in.

McCain wins all his "safe" states and his "leaning" states. He overtakes Obama in the Obama "leaning" states where the lead is less than ten, and wins all other "tossup" states.

The final tally:

Obama 287 Electoral votes
McCain 251 Electoral votes

Note - this counts Maine giving one electoral vote to McCain as it gives two electoral votes to the winner of the state popular vote, and one each to the popular winner in each of its two congressional districts.

Are you aware that McCain lost 5 airplanes and was disobeying orders when he got shot down and landed in the Hanoi Hilton. Yep, he's a Maverick all right. Quite the sacrifice. Especially the life of privilege he's led since he cheated on his wife and kids with Cindy, then left them, married her, and rode off into the sunset.

I am aware of his checkered 22 Naval career, his very ugly divorce from his first wife, and his carpet-bagging into office in Arizona. For the "moral majority", all of this may disqualify him for high office. It seems unfair, after all, that many conservatives attacked one Clinton for adultery, the other Clinton for carpet-bagging, and Kerry for upgrading from rich wife 1.0 to even richer wife 2.0. Why shouldn't the left attack McCain for essentially the same personal failings?

Because none of these facts are relevant to the personal sacrifices he gave for his comrades in arms and his countrymen while being repeatedly tortured in a Vietnamese prison. Leaving aside his qualifications for President, the man understands sacrifice and love of country to a degree I thank God I'll probably never have to.

Obama has done some "community organizing" with ACORN, Ayers, and Rezco while teaching constitutional law at a university. This may be admirable (to some), but it is hardly "sacrifice" in the sense of what John McCain went through.

There are plenty of "nutter" criticisms of BO (and JM) out there which I will not traffic in on this forum nor anywhere else. To discuss them is to reveal prejudices, ignorance, and deep, irrational hatreds that speak more about the writer than the person they are trying to discredit.

Lord knows, there's plenty of objective, non-hyperbolic reasons to oppose (or support) either candidate.

Your glib summation and diminution of McCain's wartime heroics and sacrifice are in a word, obscene.

The "Trickle Down" theory was something coined by the Democratic Party in the 80's when they were opposing Regan. However, if you look throughout history and basic economic theory, that is the way things work. The people with money invest money in ventures that employ the "less fortunate" and give them jobs and money to spend. Look at the development of the trans-continental railroad. It was Eastern money that met with Western money that gambled millions (in a day that millions meant something) on something that may or may not work. In the meantime thousands of workers were paid to construct the railroad and after it was constructed millions of people prospered because of a few people with money who were willing to gamble on a very high risk venture. Sure, the original investors benefitted greatly. But so did so many others. If it wasn't for the original venture capitalists the railway would have never happened. At least not as soon as it did. I'm sure there were shady deals and shinanigans that occurred during the process. But, we as a nation, cannot deny the value of those who chose to risk the money they had for the prospect of gaining on their investment. I can relate a similar story in regards to the iron mining industry in my home in Northeastern Minnesota. It was Eastern money that gambled on that as well. It never would have been found as soon as it was if it weren't for people with money that wanted to make more money. Generations have been employed by the ambition of the "rich" who existed a hundred years ago. It is all "trickle down". Money is like water. It does not flow up hill. I, like all of you, are part of the "middle class". But at least I am able to say that nobody owes me anything. If I wanted to be a millionaire I wouldn't be flying an airplane. I would own the damned thing. If I had the desire and creativity to be a money guy I could be I'm sure. I just have an affliction for aviation.

Sorry for rambling.

Soverytired

I've seen you post and, while I don't agree with all you say, it appears to me you raise some good points (I remember your posts regarding Go)
I think you quit Mesa and went to another regional.
So, my question is, if you're flying for a regional, why do you think you would not better under Obamas plan??

Heh. Well, no longer at the regionals: Mesa abused me so much it gave me the much needed kick in the pants to actually look for better work. Found it about 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. But Mesa was my first love; even though she turned out to be a 1st class be-yotch, I still troll around the regional forum for news on how the ole' whore is doing. :)

"If you're flying for a regional, why would you not be better under Obama? "
  • Your federal taxes will rise. I know the spiel about no taxes for those under the $250k/yr bracket; it's impossible, and no serious economist believes it. Both the 1st Bush and Clinton reneged on their tax promises: Obama will be no different, and I think he's left himself plenty of wiggle room for this.
  • Health care is likely to go to a single payer system. While you may not like your current plan, it's unlikely a single payer system will be either better or cheaper (think "public schools", "public DMV", "public restrooms", "public post office", etc.).
  • The FAA and ATC are unlikely to be reformed in any fundamental way. It will get more expensive, however . . . do you think BO would threaten mass firings if, say, controllers went on strike? Guess what . . either way, the flying public and your airline will pay for all this.
  • Ditto the TSA. Shouldn't they be making $50-$75k/year? Aren't they loyal, hard working Americans who are critical to your flying safety? Once BO lets them organize, they'll have the fate of your airline in their hands.
  • Fuel costs will rise. BO talks about alternative energy, but I don't think he means it. Subsidizes for solar, wind, and ethanol, high carbon taxes for airplanes .. yes. Nuclear, coal, and oil . . no.
  • The economy will stagnate. I don't know this for a fact, but with taxes on the rise and government spending going on like crazy, it's unlikely the economy will grow like gangbusters. Legacies and SWA will survive. Regional lift and leisure-travel airlines won't, at least not like they do now.
  • The end of 401(k)'s. This reason alone would be enough for me not to vote for ANY candidate who failed to vociferously defend the sanctity of the 401(k) plan . . a plan that encourages hard work and long term individual planning.
  • A terrorist attack is far more likely. I'm not Muslim, but it would seem that Allah hates airplanes.
And so on, and so forth. Actually, my oposition to Obama goes far, far beyond mere concerns about long term viability of the aviation industry.

No point pontificating: everyone should know by now what to expect from BO, Pelosi, and Reid when they have the reins.

Last edited:
What makes you think I didn't spend decades of hard work and sacrifice to get where I am? Oh I know, I'm a girl and got hired just because I have tits. Of course!

Darl'n, no one here mentions your gender more than you. I assure you, 99.9% don't give a flying "f" what you have between your legs or that your mammaries are bigger than [most of] our "moobs" .

The male pilots you fly with assume you were hired because you can a.) fly and b.) successfully completed an interview process. Just like everyone else.

20 years ago, women pilots were pioneers who had to put up with unbelievable amounts of "shirt". Now, they're just another interchangeable cog in the wheel. They're great girl pilots, they're poor girl pilots . . but for the most part they're just average.

(Just like guy pilots. Interchangeable. Average. With Moobs.)

Funny how nobody bashes Microsoft for being successful or Bill Gates for being one of the richest men in the world. Yet, everyone is so quick to bash "Big Oil", and the unnamed CEO's that work for those companies for their extreme profits. Give me an iPod and iTunes and I'll be happy. Make me participate in a world economy coupled with crazy speculation about oil prices and I'm gonna get pissed. Yeah, that's long-term planning.

Funny how nobody bashes Microsoft for being successful or Bill Gates for being one of the richest men in the world. Yet, everyone is so quick to bash "Big Oil", and the unnamed CEO's that work for those companies for their extreme profits. Give me an iPod and iTunes and I'll be happy. Make me participate in a world economy coupled with crazy speculation about oil prices and I'm gonna get pissed. Yeah, that's long-term planning.

There's a considerable difference between innovation and extortion.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back