• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trickle down economics and the airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is time to stimulate the base, spend on domestic projects to electrify our economy. But most important of all that I think the generations below me do not understand; we have got to improve our standing on the global stage. Powell nailed it, the Republican base does not understand the new age of thinking, it is time for a new idealogy to get this country running again.

I am 57 years old, I have never voted for a Democrat but I am about to because we are in trouble, serious trouble.

We just tried stimulating the economy back in the spring, remember those checks? Look how well they worked! Giving a few thousand here and there to the lower and middle class off the backs of those that are already supporting the system will not improve our economy or our standing on the world stage, whatever that means.

As for the new ideology, that's code for same old sh!t, different party. That's all the Democrats are offering. The same tired class warfare rhetoric. The same garbage they were going to eliminate 75 years ago (New Deal) and billions of dollars later, ie poverty. The rest of the world is going to LOVE us in about 10 years, we'll be just as unproductive and mired in the social spending that they are, but hey, we'll be liked! That'll be great for my kids.

I like the guy, I'll admit. He is exactly the American dream. But how did he get where he is? Thru government mandates and redistribution of wealth or thru hard work? I'll bet the later.

It's not that I don't like him, I just don't like his policies, they've been proven time and again that they don't work. I agree with a lot of your arguments, there is no reason why a country as rich and as successful as ours cannot pay for college (which is cheaper than supporting an unproductive worker all their life), have health care and offer its citizens the promise of a chance. My problem is using government to mandate and then administer it. We spend more than any other country on the planet in education per student. What's the problem? I'll tell ya, the problem is the administration of it. Wait 'till the government runs healthcare, we're thru after that.

I completely agree that money has been going towards supporting the unproductive workers. Money is not only going into welfare programs to people that don't don't deserve it, but money hard earned off the backs of american workers are going to the most unproductive CEOs in the world. Leo Mullins anyone? Glenn Tilton?

Obama's tax plan is not wealth redistribution. Its simply a restoration of taxes back to the Clinton years.

As far a administration of gov't programs, Obama will bring something to Washington that hasn't been seen for years, ethics.

I'll take a stab at it. I don't think I'll be better because the high wage earners are the ones that create the jobs, pay the taxes and create the revenue that the rest of the system relies on. It's not a corrupt system, it's the way money works in any society with highly motivated people, mildly motivated people and unmotivated people, ie every society.

To say that raising taxes will make people less motived is rediculous. Every pilot that ever made captain has done so knowing they would increase their pay AND their tax rate. I have been in the crew room alot, heard alot of excuses to put off upgrade, but tax increases was never one of them.

Some wealthy people may create jobs, but their has never been any assurance that they would create GOOD jobs. In fact, wealthy people run the companies that have offshored many of our GOOD jobs.

You are still pushing that tired old trickle down econ. It does not work. Falling US middle class wages during many boom years demonstrates that if you give the power and tax cuts to the rich, they hoard all the wealth. It has clearly shown that a "rising tide raises only very large boats". The rest just take on water.

Now to refocus on the middle class directly, encourage policies and tax cuts that leave more money in the pockets of middle class people, those families will have more money to buy products from American companies. This will be good for job growth and shareholders. And money will trickle up.

And those that are inclined to start or run a buisiness will do exactly what we do when we consider upgrade and a pay raise, they will do it anyway.

We allready have a progressive tax system, this is nothing new.

Last edited:
To say that raising taxes will make people less motived is rediculous. Every pilot that ever made captain has done so knowing they would increase their pay AND their tax rate. I have been in the crew room alot, heard alot of excuses to put of upgrade, but tax increases was never one of them.

Some wealthy people may create jobs, but their has never been any assurance that they would create GOOD jobs. In fact, wealthy people run the companies that have offshored many of our GOOD jobs.

You are still pushing that tired old trickle down econ. It does not work. Falling us middle class wages during many boom years demonstrates that if you give the power and tax cuts to the rich, they hoard all the wealth. It has clearly shown that a "rising tide raises only very large boats". The rest just take on water.

Now to refocus on the middle class directly, encourage policies and tax cuts that leave more money in the pockets of middle class people, those families will have more money to buy products from American companies. This will be good for job growth and shareholders. And money will trickle up.

And those that are inclined to start or run a buisiness will do exactly what we do when we consider upgrade and a pay raise, they will do it anyway.

We allready have a progressive tax system, this is nothing new.

Oh man I couldn't have said it better myself. Hoard is the key word hear folks. We should know that word well. We've been seeing it right before our eyes the last 8 years...

Obama wants to make sure that most Americans have health care coverage from private insurance companies. That is NOT socialized medicine, and it does NOT fundamentally change our current system and YOU ALL KNOW IT.

Obama said it very eloquently,

He's has no problem with Joe the Plumber. He's just trying to give him a tax cut!

McCain isn't fighting for Joe the Plumber. He's fighting for Joe the Hedge Fund manager, Joe the CEO...

Obama's going to give me a tax cut. I will gladly take it with a smile.

Will will then go spend it. Food from Walmart, put gas in my car, go to the movies, buy some new toys from Best Buy. You see, the big corporations will get their money anyway.

Last edited:
The high wage earners are individuals like you and I that start small businesses.... That is the who arguement....

Reginonal pilots work for corporations who function as vendors to megaglobal corporations.... regional pilots have nothing to do with what McCain and Obama are debating WRT Joe the Plumber....

Less than two weeks to go.......
I get your anger. You are a broke regional pilot who pays very little in taxes. You expect the Government to make your life better at the expense of someone who actual tried to better his/ her self the old fashion way, hard work.
Rez enjoy your welfare life, Obama's won.

I get your anger. You are a broke regional pilot who pays very little in taxes. You expect the Government to make your life better at the expense of someone who actual tried to better his/ her self the old fashion way, hard work.
Rez enjoy your welfare life, Obama's won.

Even regional pilots are not considered broke in relation to the real world, except maybe the first year hehe. A regional pilot job is an average middle class job. Although it is glorified job.

Obama won?!?!?!??! I did not know that!

IBD/TIPP Tracking Poll: Day Eleven

Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008
McCain has cut into Obama's lead for a second day and is now just 1.1 points behind. The spread was 3.7 Wednesday and 6.0 Tuesday. The Republican is making headway with middle- and working- class voters, and has surged 10 points in two days among those earning between $30,000 and $75,000. He has also gone from an 11-point deficit to a 9-point lead among Catholics.
View Results From Prior Days
About IBD/TIPP: An analysis of Final Certified Results for the 2004 election showed IBD's polling partner, TIPP, was the most accurate pollster of the campaign season. Learn more at www.TIPPonline.com.

Latest resources

Back