• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To ALL UNITED pilots courtesy of ALL UAX carriers and their pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's see, you're mad at UAL mgt., so you're going to deny the jumpseat to mainline pilots?

If you have an issue with management, there is an appropriate venue to present it - NOT by burning a bridge with your mainline pilots.

The problem is not management, it's the UAL MEC, management doesn't care about the priority. UAL MEC wanted the super priority and have been asked for over 2 years to put it back the way it was.

Simply put, put it back the way it was and this little episode is over.

Let's see, you're mad at UAL mgt., so you're going to deny the jumpseat to mainline pilots? Turning your jumpseat into a political weapon - against the wrong entity will accomplish what, exactly?

When I was a JSC, I was always mindful of not politicizing the jumpseat, inviting all air carrier pilots on board, with or without reciprocity - because that's just the right thing to do. We all (well, except for me, I'm on the street..) have to get to work somehow, and improving access should be our only focus.

If you have an issue with management, there is an appropriate venue to present it - NOT by burning a bridge with your mainline pilots.

I think you are misinformed. We are being told that it is the UAL MEC who is the problem here and is holding up getting this problem resolved. That is why the hand out is directed to the UAL pilots so they will call their union reps and urge them to do the right thing and get this fixed.

So far, I haven't seen a single post saying that the current computer prioritization of the jumpseat is correct. The "Glitch" in the system is seen as a way to backdoor the whole procedure and is a violation of the jumpseat agreement itself.

What needs to be done is for the UAL pilots to just put all this emotion that is being generated aside and help the UAX pilots with this problem. It shouldn't be about egos or talk of a silly jumpseat war. It's a legitimate complaint about a legitimate issue so why not just take 3 minutes to make a call or email to your union rep and take care of it?

Last edited:
The problem is not management, it's the UAL MEC, management doesn't care about the priority. UAL MEC wanted the super priority and have been asked for over 2 years to put it back the way it was.

Simply put, put it back the way it was and this little episode is over.

I didn't quite get that from the original post, and that's where my mind was when I responded. It talked about how UAL has assigned a cost to the change and was unresponsive. If there is an issue with the UAL MEC with regards to "super priority," that does complicate things to some degree as there may be contractual provisions that I'm unaware of.

I still maintain that withdrawing priviliges is the wrong tack to take, as the only real pressure will be applied to line pilots who don't necessarily disagree. Express pilots may wind up enduring additional hardship over this, but I hope not.

I've had dealings with the former UAL JSC, and had a very positive experience with UAL Pilots in general. Hopefully, this disagreement can be sorted out without the use of the "Nuclear Option."

Just my two cents

This will work. Many placed phone calls to the UAL MEC (who was the instigator here) will get it fixed. Most UAL line guys agree ( I suppose.........tell me if I'm wrong) that we should have priority on our own metal. Some lines of code and voila, the problem is fixed. The ball is in the MEC's court. pretty simple to me.

This is an UAL pilot issue - the change was made by your MEC as a way to get around our jumpseat agreements! This is absolute BS...
We have an agreement - if you guys can't abide by it than the agreement goes away - it's pretty simple. All your bitching on here won't make one bit of difference - call your LEC reps and tell them to fix this now.

I agree that each company's pilots should have priority on their own airplanes. That being said:

This is a bad idea. A jumpseat war hurts everybody and I will not take part. I will ONLY deny a jumpseat to someone on their way to cross a picket line or on their way home from crossing a picket line. Nobody I know of is on strike right now. Welcome aboard.

Not one single UAL pilot I've talked to wants to take away any offline carrier's access to their own jumpseat.

Using someone's ability to get to work as a weapon is wrong.

Using someone's ability to get to work as a weapon is wrong.

Exactly the UAL MEC has taken that from the UAX pilots! For 2 years and continuous negotiations the UAL MEC has decided they own our right to have priority on our jumpseats. Complete disregard for jumpseat agreements. This letter is not a declaration of a jumpseat war its a call to rank file UAL pilots to have their MEC to fix the problem. How hard is that for you to understand POAHI?!

Latest resources

Back