This Roger Cohen makes me want to puke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turnover

............I have never been a big ALPA guy but Prater being on there made me realize that the unions did not do a good service to the regionals. I know CJC just started with them but they were in place in the industry and "set the standard" on pay for the regionals. The major ALPA carriers wanted nothing to do with RJ's and Turbo-props so they let the regionals grow with little scope. They in effect made the payrates so the major carriers could afford the operation. The ALPA regionals do not have much better pay than CJC. I remember when I thought a union job meant good pay...not so in aviation......but I survived 6 years in the arena and I would not exchange a minute of it. Flame away...but that is my comment.
No flame but I think you hit the nail on the head. You survived your six years; no one makes a career commitment to a regional life style. Serve your time and move on. That is why the union is basically ineffective when compared to the major carriers. A thought is that they pay check airman a $50,000 override. They hire older guys in their late 40’s early 50’s who will stay at the airline for 10-5 years. They would provide experience, continuity, and a stabilizing force in the airline operations. This would be attractive to many pilots like myself 15 years ago. I was almost in this scenario, less the 50K, at ACA 15 years ago, but the age 60 retirement rules made me turn them down.

Agreed, it was created by mainline carriers and pilots allowing it, and in general the public does not care about anything but a cheap ticket.

It would be very nice to see most of that flying back at mainline carriers. A few pilots at some regionals would lose their jobs to furlough, but mainlines would hire more pilots. There are job applications available to those that would lose their jobs..... sounds harsh, but it would be for the best in the long term.

Spoken like a man that has never been on a seniority list. Virtual unemployment insurance?

I'm still laughing after reading the post on the last page attempting to defend the regional industry. The regionals are driven by greed and prey on an empathetic work force. As long as this "norm" is accepted it will never change. I thought Frontline hit it out of the park. Unfortunately, knowing this industry..nobody will even go looking for the ball. Change won't come until they they can't staff the planes or people won't get on them as paying pax. What do you think the odds are of that happening?

You're right. They are all furloughed, and if you weren't you would be making over $30,000 too, because we haven't hired anyone since 5/7/2008.

Why did you take the job? Didn't you know the pay? Why not call ALPA and ask why they always eat their young?

I'm still laughing after reading the post on the last page attempting to defend the regional industry. The regionals are driven by greed and prey on an empathetic work force. As long as this "norm" is accepted it will never change. I thought Frontline hit it out of the park. Unfortunately, knowing this industry..nobody will even go looking for the ball. Change won't come until they they can't staff the planes or people won't get on them as paying pax. What do you think the odds are of that happening?
You don't spend your money in the US market place that uses outsourcing? Why should airline consumers be any different?

What, exactly, did he say that made him a tool? If anything, he didn't defend our industry enough. There are no first officers at ASA earning under $35,000 per year or so. The average is probably closer to $40,000.00 - $45,000.00, since we haven't hired in so long.

Of course, ASA is a "major" airline by definition, and truly cannot be placed in the same bucket as other smaller regional airlines. That is a point that this show didn't make. Not all regionals are the same, and that is an important fact.

It also didn't make the point that regionals do more takeoffs and landings and more legs per day at 52% of the flights for the majors. It is pure mathematics that more accidents will be at the regional level. If most of the flights were the majors, but the accidents were at the regional level, THEN it might mean something.

Remember guys, this show has an axe to grind, and they edit and show what they want the public to see.
This right here is an example of someone trying to make themselves feel better about the company/industry they work for.

Also I'm glad you're very proud that you're considered major airline. Being a major airline, shouldn't you be paid major airline pilot wages? You are doing the majority of their domestic flying, aren't you?
I think we should all note here that ASA is a major airline, not to be confused with little regionals. There are only a few similarities between the ASA the major airline and the little regionals:
- They both fly the same airplane/seat number for the same pay.
- They both have the same hiring requirements.
- Their new hires are cut from the same mold, and the are the same age.
- They both have the same QOL.
But in the end, ASA is a major, and don't you forget it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back