• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This Roger Cohen makes me want to puke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ok true, if i was called back it would be 2nd year pay... but the next guy hired would be at less than 20K... then the next, then the next... and WE are a leader in pay in the industry. No one claims to believe they should be paid 100K as an FO... but, less than 20??? even if it is first year... I personally would rather make more money early in my career than more money later in my career... The whole Time Value of money concept thingy I learned in my fancy finance class.... yea, i know, good luck with that.

I'm all for paying the first year guys more. It is the senior guys who put the senior year pay high at the expense of the first year pay.

The first year pay at ASA is $23.00 per hour, which equates to roughly $22,000 a year, assuming training and reserve, etc. That is bad, but it isn't as bad as it was prior to contract 2007. It could be much better. I would be willing to make less as a senior captain in exchange for normalizing the pay for the new hires. For one thing, it makes more long term financial sense. If you make more money in the early years, then you will retire with more money than making small amounts until you are senior.

Last edited:
Cohen is the perfect poster child for the pathetic depths that the US aviation system has sunk to as well as the venal slime that make up a sizeable proportion of company managements.

The cure for this is to disallow these codeshare agreements and make the major carrier FULLY responsible for ALL its flying.

The FAA and gubment also need a complete overhaul of their own professional cultures.

What, exactly, did he say that made him a tool? If anything, he didn't defend our industry enough. There are no first officers at ASA earning under $35,000 per year or so. The average is probably closer to $40,000.00 - $45,000.00, since we haven't hired in so long.

Of course, ASA is a "major" airline by definition, and truly cannot be placed in the same bucket as other smaller regional airlines. That is a point that this show didn't make. Not all regionals are the same, and that is an important fact.

It also didn't make the point that regionals do more takeoffs and landings and more legs per day at 52% of the flights for the majors. It is pure mathematics that more accidents will be at the regional level. If most of the flights were the majors, but the accidents were at the regional level, THEN it might mean something.

Remember guys, this show has an axe to grind, and they edit and show what they want the public to see.
Brian Wilson.....?

That guy is such a sleazeball looking jerk. And I'm glad that show came out-those two Colgan pilots had some stones to say what they said and I applaud them for it. Why would you want to sweep these problems under the rug? Let's fix this crappy industry.

Thoughts on "Flying Cheap" (Frontline)

My two cents in two words: SPOT-ON! FAA and the major carriers need to have a real stake in the regionals/codeshares. Roger Cohen is a complete scumbag.

Damn right.... mainline carriers should take back that flying and return those jobs where they initially started.

I liked the crash pad looked very well kept. Much nicer than the JO bunk room on the boat

The cure for this is to disallow these codeshare agreements and make the major carrier FULLY responsible for ALL its flying.

The FAA and gubment also need a complete overhaul of their own professional cultures.

Who is going to pay for it?

Outsourcing the outsourced is the American Way.

Making the major carrier fully responsible will raise ticket prices. That might mean less flying, less pilot jobs..... That is what regionals are all about right... Colgan outsrouced XJT who outcourced CAL.....

When price, not safety is the main motivator of consumers, who pay for everything, the ability to suddenly change direction is extreme difficult.

On a seprate note Phil Trenary, CEO of Pinnacle, owner of Colgan, is the total tool.

Latest resources

Back