• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This Roger Cohen makes me want to puke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spoken like a man that has never been on a seniority list. Virtual unemployment insurance?

Spoken like a man who does not see past next month..

I have been on a senority list, the temporary unemployment as a result of mainline taking back most flying at a regional would be worth it in the long run.

Of course the airlines would actually have to select and interview people to ensure they were getting the right people for the job and not people who think they are entitled to the job because their regional jet was painted in the colors. Its going to get very competitive!

Last edited:
Don't worry about him, he's a senior MD88 Captain at a Virtual Airline.

I saw that !!! ........absolutely hilarious! Wow are there some dorks out there!!!

Start simple to fix the airlines:

ATP required to be a Part 121 FO
-500 hours Multi

If you do not meet the above your company has 2 years to replace you.

Watch the wages and benefits improve when nobody shows for class at the current scale. Don't worry ALPA will find a way to lower the bar!

Make it cheaper...train the homeless to fly..ah..well...

You don't spend your money in the US market place that uses outsourcing? Why should airline consumers be any different?

No arguments here Rez - they do, they will continue to, and those doing the job will continued to receive marginal pay for their efforts. Unions will continue to feel like they are at war with management and the field will be one that will attract fewer and fewer talented people. Maybe one day the government can train the homeless to fly jets as part of a workfare program and the flying public can fly even cheaper. Hang on...I remember my old crash pad...that's already happened but I subsidized the training...hmmmm....

Spoken like a man who does not see past next month..

I have been on a senority list, the temporary unemployment as a result of mainline taking back most flying at a regional would be worth it in the long run.

Of course the airlines would actually have to select and interview people to ensure they were getting the right people for the job and not people who think they are entitled to the job because their regional jet was painted in the colors. Its going to get very competitive!

What if your 15 years at a regional making $100,000? I think you don't look past today...............I highly doubt you were on a seniority list unless you didn't make it through training? Bingo!

Do you think "mainlines" are all of a sudden going to pay high wages? Hello! They are going broke now. Get a clue. Not all regionals are Colgan.

Last edited:
I missed last nights show about the regional airline industry. Anybody know if or when it might be repeated?

No arguments here Rez - they do, they will continue to, and those doing the job will continued to receive marginal pay for their efforts. Unions will continue to feel like they are at war with management and the field will be one that will attract fewer and fewer talented people. Maybe one day the government can train the homeless to fly jets as part of a workfare program and the flying public can fly even cheaper. Hang on...I remember my old crash pad...that's already happened but I subsidized the training...hmmmm....
Close.... instead of the homeless it will be foreigners on guest worker visa....

The only way to fix the problem is to legislate it.... of course the interest groups including consumers and airline will fight it (safety....)...

So who is going to win on CapHill... ALPA and its 53,000 member group, or the ATA and consumer groups with its 305 million member group (basically the population of the US). Oh don't forget the foreign influence on CapHill as well....

The problem is... globalisation has liberalized the world market all while regulatory law remains withing the state borders.

"Hey Roger, this is Billy from New York. I wanna know something, is that spray on tan, or is it the real deal? You stupid piece of garbage, mmhahahahaha."

Well, tough break really. It is not the regionals "flying" in the first place. It belongs to someone else..... if it goes away, it goes away. It is simply contract work...It does not belong to "you" and is not "your" flying. I always laugh when pilots at regionals get all huffy that another regional is "taking" their flying..... but when asked if they know where it came from in the first place, they do not even bat an eye. An example is the whining from some pilots about Colgan "taking" flying from Express Jet.... they are doing nothing of the sort. #1 that flying never was theirs(XJT) in the first place, it belongs to Continental Airlines. #2, Continental can do with that flying as they see fit(see #1).

However, its highly unlikely the mainlines will ever get all that flying back, but it does belong to them and can do with it as they see fit for business purposes(i.e. change contracts as they see fit to the least expensive regional for cost reduction reasons.... its just business, nothing personal.) Now it is up to that regional to conduct a safe operation..... but those regionals should be much smaller then they are today and actually feed instead of supplement/ take mainline flying.

Latest resources

Back