Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ultra Grump

Mmmmm...beer....
To whoever moved this the first time - I wanted input from those on the frac board, not "non-aviation-related chat." Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------

$70,000 to just get by

California's working families must make hard choices and worry about the future

By Dana Bartholomew, Staff Writer

By the time John Patton reached 50, the man hailed as "the best barber in L.A" had hoped to have his own house, good health insurance and a few bucks in the bank for retirement. But for many working families in Los Angeles County, high prices and low wages have thwarted the American dream, according to a study released today on the cost of living in California,

"For me, man, it's definitely week to week," said Patton, 48, the single father of a teenage son, as he finished up a flattop at Styles Ville Barbershop and Beauty Salon in Pacoima.

"All the luxuries, extras, can wait. I can't go to the movies right now, and it's OK. If it came down to buying some school clothes for my son or paying the cable bill, I'd buy the clothes."

Patton's family is not alone.

According to the California Budget Project, it now costs $70,000 a year - nearly four times the federal poverty standard of $19,300 - for the average family of four with two working parents to pay the basic bills in Los Angeles County. For single parents with two kids, it costs $54,000...
------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the story here: http://www2.dailynews.com/news/ci_3067538

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why the pay rates in the last offer from NJA management were "insulting."

Grump - why are you wasting everyone's time and this boards resources by posting the exact same thing that you did yesterday in this thread:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=63122

As I pointed out earlier, and people in the other thread did as well - DONT LIVE THERE if you dont like the cost of living in LA.

NJA pilots live all over this country.

Fewer than 5% of NJA pilots have LA or New York City as their gateway, so your point is not relevant.

So Family Guy....why is the Company so insistant that new hires live at one of the 5 RCA's? LAX and TEB being one of the most expensice places in the country to live.

Do they really think that the majority of the new hires are going to come from MCO, DAL and CMH?

If they think they can't get people to come here now...wait until they require new hires to fly out of the limited RCA system.

Of course, Bridgeway Bob will find some way to blame the Union for it.

By the way....what is our NET hiring for this year so far? Remember to take into consideration the 70+ pilots who left this year.

Is BB still threatening to furlough?

Crikey, guys. This is maddening.

If you don't like it there, then work someplace else!!!

I'd never work for a company that I thought was abusing me. I wouldn't cry about it, or pollute the air in FBO's around the country with it, or march or picket or whine incessantly...or take over web boards with nothing but rants about how sad my life is. I'd just find another job.

But that's just me.

Enough, already. Enough.

Ultra Grump said:
To whoever moved this the first time - I wanted input from those on the frac board, not "non-aviation-related chat." Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------

$70,000 to just get by

California's working families must make hard choices and worry about the future.

This is why the pay rates in the last offer from NJA management were "insulting."

Yep, that's why I turned down Chief Pilot Gulfstream Longbeach when it was offered to me. In the Savannah area I lived in a gated community with a club, golf courses, swimming pools and a marina. In Long Beach, even with the differential the company was willing to pay, all I would be able to afford was a condo.

GV

FamilyGuy said:
Grump - why are you wasting everyone's time and this boards resources by posting the exact same thing that you did yesterday in this thread:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=63122

As I pointed out earlier, and people in the other thread did as well - DONT LIVE THERE if you dont like the cost of living in LA.

NJA pilots live all over this country.

Fewer than 5% of NJA pilots have LA or New York City as their gateway, so your point is not relevant.
Did you not read the first sentence? Someone moved the thread right after it was posted, into the "non-aviation-related chat" forum. It was meant to be read here, by the NJA folks who frequent this board, not all the other yahoos who don't have a dog in this fight. Although Gulfstream200 has some great points over on that other thread - you might want to look at it.
Why do you think the company wanted LAX to be an RCA, and pay a premium to those who live there? Because LAX and the other RCAs are where a large percentage of the owners live, at least part-time. It's more convenient for the company. The cost of living is becoming exhorbitant throughout the country, not just in LA or NYC.

avbug said:
Crikey, guys. This is maddening.

If you don't like it there, then work someplace else!!!

I'd never work for a company that I thought was abusing me. I wouldn't cry about it, or pollute the air in FBO's around the country with it, or march or picket or whine incessantly...or take over web boards with nothing but rants about how sad my life is. I'd just find another job.

But that's just me.

Enough, already. Enough.
I didn't say I don't like it here. I do. The pay sucks. Do you disagree that the pay at NJA sucks? You will not find any of my posts where I complain about any other part of the company. I am simply pointing out hard figures of why the company's last pay offer was inadequate. If you don't like it, don't read these threads.

Ultra Grump said:
Did you not read the first sentence? Someone moved the thread right after it was posted, into the "non-aviation-related chat" forum. It was meant to be read here, by the NJA folks who frequent this board, not all the other yahoos who don't have a dog in this fight. Although Gulfstream200 has some great points over on that other thread - you might want to look at it.
Why do you think the company wanted LAX to be an RCA, and pay a premium to those who live there? Because LAX and the other RCAs are where a large percentage of the owners live, at least part-time. It's more convenient for the company. The cost of living is becoming exhorbitant throughout the country, not just in LA or NYC.

Thanks for thinking i have a few good points...

However,best advice I could ever give would be DONT EVER WORK AT NETJETS.

Only the ignorant blame thier employer for paying them poorly. If you want a raise go out and get it. You guys cant be ignorant enough to think anyone is going to DOUBLE your salary? stop listening to your stupid union and go get PAID..... (elsewhere)

:confused: .

Gulfstream 200 said:
Thanks for thinking i have a few good points...

However,best advice I could ever give would be DONT EVER WORK AT NETJETS.

Only the ignorant blame thier employer for paying them poorly. If you want a raise go out and get it. You guys cant be ignorant enough to think anyone is going to DOUBLE your salary? stop listening to your stupid union and go get PAID..... (elsewhere):confused: .

Damn Buddy, don't sugar coat it:smash: . Sure am glad I'm on your good side. BTW I agree with you:beer: Lets get a cold one soon.

rice said:
dang Buddy, don't sugar coat it:smash: . Sure am glad I'm on your good side. BTW I agree with you:beer: Lets get a cold one soon.

Hey Rice!

yeah, I like that beer idea!!

or I better go out on a trip soon, getting testy on flightinfo.com...

summers coming to an end, Im getting cranky, like a bitch.

:pimp:

Latest resources

Back