• Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Task:
Your job is to establish an age cutoff to be used by airline pilots. The information you have been given are accident rates among pilots of ALL ages who fly similar types of operations. You notice this trend in accident rates per 100,000 hours among several consecutive age brackets:

A=.38
B=.36
C=.35
D=.34
E=.33
F=.32
G=.31
H=.30
I=.29
J=.30
K=.32
L=.34
M=.36
N=.39

Where would you establish the legal age limit? At E? At I? At L? At N?

A study that did such a comparison found that accident rates generally went down with age until around 64 then they started up again for 65, but the rate at 65 was still lower than the rate at 59. So put 59 at E (0.33/100,000hrs). One could say that the line should be drawn at 59 because the 64 year old pilot is more likely to have an accident that the 63 year old pilot (but still less than the 59 year old). Someone else could say that if 0.33 is a good enough rate for the 59 year old, then it is a good enough rate for the 65 year old.

I think the latter argument makes more sense.

The studies that show the rates higher for pilots over 60 include Part 135 and Part 121 pilots under 60 against Part 135 pilots over 60 without taking into consideration the higher rates 135 pilots have at ANY age than Part 121 pilots.

Last edited:
All these numbers are educational, but bottom line is at 60 your gone! if you chose to spend 20 years in the military..great.. but that's what you chose and you already have a military retirement so your not going to get 20 with the airline...if your retirement went belly up..that sucks too, but airlines have been going out of business for years..in other words..welcome to aviation. aviation sucks..then you retire.

Twenty with the mil and agree with Cappy Mark. Free will, no do-overs.

To make sure I understand, your decision is leve it at E, not because of safety, but because that's the way it is. Have I got it?

Because my upgrade was due to someone retiring as was thousands of others..and when i retire in 2029(hopefully earlier) someone will get a bid to the left seat of the A380...

Personally I wish they would lower it. Make it 55, I would love to retire early without taking a penalty. I have to stick it out 5 extra years just so I don't take it in the shorts in retirement.
Finally some sense on here.

The Prussian said:
Clyde....and what's your reasoning???

Please do not think I am ungrateful for what I have, because I am very thankful to have a good job. However, I don't want to fly airplanes any longer than I have too.

At present time if I decide to retire early I will take a pretty good hit for doing so. What I am afraid of is that if they raise the retirement age to 63, for example, 60 is going to be the new 55 and I would have to work at least to 60 for an early retirement. Also, and I apologize for not having a source, but I heard your life expectancy in retirement is longer if you retire 5 years ahead of time as opposed to going to 60.

I am looking at 25+ years to go. I am not bragging, but I have been living under my means, and saving some dough for retirement. I just want to be able to leave a little early without being penalized for it.

I get out, spend more time at home and on hobbies, and someone gets a job because my seat would be vacant sooner than later.

Last edited:
Hi!

Does the FAA have any justification for age 60? No.

A number of pilots have suggested that younger pilots are safer. If that is the case, then why 60? If it is a safety issue, then the age cutoff should be for safety ONLY. And, if you think younger is safer, then why 60? Why 55?

If younger is safer, then 25 would be the best cutoff age. Why is not one asking for the FAA to change it to 25?

If you say that 25 is ridiculous, because it doesn't give you enough years to fly, then you haven't been reading this post. Everyone keeps saying that older is worse, which means younger is better.

Does the FAA have any data on the age of pilots vs. safety, to justfiy a specific age?

Like a said before, they do, and it shows that older pilots are safer.

If you want to make a judgement on an age cutoff, like the FAA is doing, then they need to back it up with hard numbers.

Most other countries let pilots fly past 60, so there is plenty of information out there to figure out what is actually the BEST age, instead of the FAA trying to justify the specific number of 60, which they pulled out of their a$$.

Let's do a massive study of worldwide pilot ages and the accident rate to come up with a rational and logical age cutoff, if there even needs to be one.

CLiff
YIP

If younger is safer, then 25 would be the best cutoff age. Why is not one asking for the FAA to change it to 25?

Hey, if I can get a full retirement package at 25, I say let's go for it! One question: since I'm over 25, would I get some sort of retro included in addition to my retirement? :D

Latest resources

Back