• Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Is there a difference between telling people they can't be a pilot because they're too old, or because they're black, or female? No. It's all discrimination.

Oh, in case you think it's a safety issue? The FAA has done a number of studies. NONE has shown that older pilots are inherently unsafe. In fact, the only conclusive studies have shown that the over age 60 pilots are safer than the ones under 60.

Cliff
GRB

PS-When the FAA/AA made the age 60 rule, they didn't have any scientific information to help make an age cutoff, they just pulled the number out of their a$$. That's why, even today, it still stinks of discrimination.

Is there a difference between telling people they can't be a pilot because they're too old, or because they're black, or female? No. It's all discrimination.

Just plain wrong. Again, a believer that discrimination is a 4-letter word. Too tired to go into it...must...drink...beer.

Personally I wish they would lower it. Make it 55, I would love to retire early without taking a penalty. I have to stick it out 5 extra years just so I don't take it in the shorts in retirement.

You have to be 16 to get a drivers license. 23 for an ATP. 18 to vote. 35 to be president. Is that discrimination as well?

Gup

No, those are experience minimums. It's not like at 60 you have to much experience.

Then why does the "Age 60 proposed ammendment" direct at least one of the pilot's be less than 60?

Obviously not a safety issue ------- riiiiiiiiight.

Last edited:
sandman2122 said:
Then why does the "Age 60 proposed ammendment" direct at least one of the pilot's be less than 60?

Obviously not a safety issue ------- riiiiiiiiight.

I didn't hear safety mentioned anywhere...just that ICAO did it that way.

Last edited:
No, those are experience minimums. It's not like at 60 you have to much experience.

No, you don't have too much experience but you're cognative ability to draw upon that experience starts to diminish. I don't hear the air traffic controllers whining about being forced out early but I guess some pilots feel entitled to make up the rules as they see fit for their own personal benefit.

Saabslime said:
No, you don't have too much experience but you're cognative ability to draw upon that experience starts to diminish. I don't hear the air traffic controllers whining about being forced out early but I guess some pilots feel entitled to make up the rules as they see fit for their own personal benefit.

I hear ya, I was responding to the minimum question above. Maximums for brain ability (can only spell cognative if i cheat) probably would be a good idea, rather than Dr Almostdeadhimself trying to hear if you have a pulse:)

I'd love to take an early out, i'm with you there. But I don't think we as pilots make any rules, It'll be whatever ICAO/FAA agree on. Just rolling with the punches babe.

Latest resources

Back