Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
seefive said:
Fox,

It doesn't matter how many people you ask at FedEx about flying past 60. We voted on the issue and the results were plain. If anything, they were fixed the other direction by not allowing probation guys to vote. If the vote turned out the other way, I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't have quit. Sorry to say this, but you're just flat out selfish.

There was never a vote, just a poll. Big Difference.:)

CaptainMark said:
Selfish is right..Foxhunter benefitted from the age 60 rule for his upgrade..even if it was 80 yrs ago..now he wants to screw the younger guys and delay their upgrade while penalizing pilots who want to retire at 60 with possible penalties..noone talks to him anyway...i could understand his view if he was at an airline that trashed their retirement...but the only reason he wants to keep flying is that the longer he flies the longer the ex does not get his retirement $...SELFISH IS RIGHT

Selfish??? Looks like the younger guys are the selfish ones. Just let me make up my furlough time.:) Nah, I really don't want to work to age 68.:(

FoxHunter said:
Selfish??? Looks like the younger guys are the selfish ones. Just let me make up my furlough time.:) Nah, I really don't want to work to age 68.:(

i am already a widebody captain...are you saying i'm selfish because i would like to have junior guys to be afforded the chance to upgrade like you and me were? that's not selfish..i want to retire early anyway...seriously though..it seems like the choice depends on ones situation..bottom line is...WHATEVER!...we'll vote and continue to vote..and i'm sure there will be an increase in the retirement age over the rest of my career...

FOXHUNTER

Your informal poll actually backs up the data collected by the wilson polling center. The numbers were split with younger pilots supporting the age 60 rule and older pilots wanting it changed.

But ALPA repersents all pilots and when the totals were added up almost 60% of ALPA pilots wanted to keep the age 60 limit. The majority rules. It is no different then the presidential election.

Then all of the ALPA pilots should put age 60 retirement in their contracts, and let the rest of world make their own choices

But ALPA repersents all pilots and when the totals were added up almost 60% of ALPA pilots wanted to keep the age 60 limit. The majority rules. It is no different then the presidential election.
We still one eventhough they excluded 10% of the pilot group, probationary members & furloughees from voting in the poll. How can anyone say that it was slanted towards the status quo side. If they let those vote it would have been even higher. If they were going to exclude that group they should have excluded everyone over 50 as well.

Flash said:
I have 20 years left and I support the repeal of this rediculous rule. From what I have read, there is no basis for it other than airline execs back in the 50's or 60's that wanted to lop off the senior folks. Yes, it may delay my upgrade a bit, but guess what, it's not all about me! Give people the option to work past 60. From senior pilots I have spoke with, most say they would still probably retire at 60, some said they might stay to 62 and that's about it.

While every pilot has known that the retirement age is 60, many have gone through several furloughs, family emergencies or things outside of their control that take their plan for life and turn it upside down. If you want to retire at 60 then go, but give others who may not be as fortunate as you the option.

Wow, what a sensible suggestion! Are you sure you are on the correct thread, nay board?? You are actually suggesting that we should not all have a herd mentality and it's not about you? Wow, I never knew that freedom of choice existed or that bad things happen to good people.

Change is always hard to take but some are better at it than others - because they have had more experience at it!!

B757drvr, a nice touch of reality to a pilot me centric board.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back