• Start date
  • Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just let me fly until the mandatory federal retirement age... not some arbitrary age agreed upon over 3 decades ago. It's age discrimination... black and white.

So is getting picked last for the pick-up basketball game. Not all discrimination is evil.

Snapshot said:
The Mandatory Federal Retirement age, agreed upon over 3 decades ago is 60. Nobody is trying to lower it, so you're currently getting what you want.

Agreed by who? CR and Pete? American, Western, and I believe TWA tried to impose an age 60 retirement. ALPA fought it and won the grievance. American's CEO, C.R. Smith contacted his WW2 buddy that happened to be the first Administrator of the recently created FAA. General Quesada pushed through a new regulation that required FAR121 pilots to retire when they reached their 60th birthday. ALPA fought it for years, until around 1979 then reversed their position. Funny thing is that when it was imposed the pilot population was a lot less healthy. Smokers were the norm, heavy drinking was the norm, you would have to look far and wide to find a health club in a hotel. I recall when I was hired we had one guy that ran, considered very, very strange. :)

Last edited:
FOXHUNTER..bottom line..its over..go put on your white shoes..hed down to florida and tell all your stories to people who care...we'll handle it from here...oh i forgot your exwife gets all your retirement..sorry..i guess you can be a wallmartgreeter!!!

CaptainMark said:
FOXHUNTER..bottom line..its over..go put on your white shoes..hed down to florida and tell all your stories to people who care...we'll handle it from here...oh i forgot your exwife gets all your retirement..sorry..i guess you can be a wallmartgreeter!!!

CaptainMark, you never could handle it. :(

George, I've flown (several years ago) with you and learned a lot from you. You were talking up the age 60 deal back then too. It just isn't going to happen for you. Too bad that a guy like you with so much to offer would end up in 3% group. Now if we are in the same place or run into each other somewhere in the world I can't hang out with you. You are dead weight to 97% of the guys you work with. Even if you are right in everything you say and ALPA is evil and the undoing of the airline industry there is no way I'd end my career being thought of by the crewforce as a scab. I hope the extra 1.5% pay is worth being left out and having your co workers hoping your last day will be soon. Too bad man I hope I don't end up bitter.
It's never too late to change. Hopefully you are not still making the FOs build little pink lines to the ground while you are flying downwind.

Andy said:
Swaayze, the good 'ol boy thing exists at every airline. Perhaps it's only the recipients of those checkride gifts who are not cognizant of it occurring on EVERY airline's property.

That's exactly my point.....it's not beneficial and could be exacerbated with a raising of the age limit.

Swaayze said:
That's exactly my point.....it's not beneficial and could be exacerbated with a raising of the age limit.

Not sure where Andy was coming from as I could find his original post, but if he is suggesting that there is a special dispensation during check rides at all of these airlines I think he is mistaken. Maybe the one he comes from, but I doubt that also. Certainly not the one I came from and if Andy knows otherwise he needs to step up. I am keenly aware that the issue of 60+ FE's might be the source of this idea, but I am looking for Capt. examples. Please no general statements, just facts without the names of course.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back