• Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CaptainMark said:
believe me i fell lucky to be at fedex but i knew this whole aviation thing was a gamble..no guarantees..and we all knew we had to retire at 60

Until they change the rule.:)

There was time when certain people of color new their place was in the back of the bus. Things change for the better sometimes.

FoxHunter said:
Until they change the rule.:)

I understand the senate vote is scheduled for 13OCT07

Crawl back in your hole. You provide NO balance because you never have any positive ideas. Just doom and gloom. I'm very glad that you quit ALPA because the last thing we need is members who will not put the general welfare of the whole group above their own petty wants. Good riddance to you! You have no voice at FDX. Although I am sure there probably are 123 other pilots who think you give "balance". That's less than 3% of our total crewforce.

I can't believe it. There's a stench in the room and I'm actually responding to it.

fr8doggie said:
I understand the senate vote is scheduled for 13OCT07

Crawl back in your hole. You provide NO balance because you never have any positive ideas. Just doom and gloom. I'm very glad that you quit ALPA because the last thing we need is members who will not put the general welfare of the whole group above their own petty wants. Good riddance to you! You have no voice at FDX. Although I am sure there probably are 123 other pilots who think you give "balance". That's less than 3% of our total crewforce.

I can't believe it. There's a stench in the room and I'm actually responding to it.

You sir are a perfect example of why ALPA has been so ineffective at FedEx. Thanks for you views, just proves me correct.:)

It's funny that the guys who are not in favor of raising the retirement age are mostly from carriers that still have defined benefit plans in place. Most of the guys who want it raised are from carriers who don't have the DB pension. But what most people should realize is that the DB pension plan is a dinosaur and if you still have it don't plan on having it in 10 years... if you do then you'll be on this board whining about how your retirement was taken away from you by terrible management... the reality is that w/ globalization, a company... any company (airline, computer (ibm), auto (gm)) can't compete w/ other companies that don't have it (the DB). So it's only a matter of time until they are all gone... if you work for one of the lucky companies that still have one a decade from now then you are lucky. If you plan to retire w/ a pension then shame on you... look around. If you are not planning your retirement w/o a pension then you are naive to think that you wont be one of the misfortunate ones who will get it taken away or frozen. With all of that said I want the retirement age to go to 65/67. Look down the road at the facts. I want the option to work in my trade until the social security age... if you are better off or just don't want to fly past 60, it's america... you don't have to. Go become a burger flipper for all I care. Just let me fly until the mandatory federal retirement age... not some arbitrary age agreed upon over 3 decades ago. It's age discrimination... black and white.

Tail

Very well said tail, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with as thoughtful and balanced arguement for keeping 60 in place. So far all I'm hearing from those opposed to changing this discrimination are that they want to upgrade sooner and could care less about the thousands of pilots who have had a major wrench thrown into their retirement planning.

Dan Roman said:
Very well said tail, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with as thoughtful and balanced arguement for keeping 60 in place. So far all I'm hearing from those opposed to changing this discrimination are that they want to upgrade sooner and could care less about the thousands of pilots who have had a major wrench thrown into their retirement planning.

Dan,

How about we extend the retirement age for policemen and firemen too? Would you like a 60 year old fireman carrying you out of a burning building down a flight of stairs? It would be dangerous. Not all of them are out of shape or weak, but most probably are. Same with pilots. After 30 years or more of flying, the reflexes go, and so does the hearing. It is best for everyone that they leave and not have the responsibility of carrying around 200-250 people etc. If they want to fly corporate or for fun, they should go for it, since it would likely involve less lives in the back.

The only reason this whole deal is being brought up really is because some pilots are now having problems with their pensions. This is a good lesson for everyone, to create your own portfolio, instead of hoping a faulty promise will come through. Our "excuse" for wanting to upgrade faster is equal to your "excuse" about not planning for yourself outside of company promises. The rule is there for a reason, and the Supreme Court ruled against those Southwest pilots who sued for discrimination.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Snapshot said:
Two Representatives have already withdrawn their sponsorship of H.R. 65.

Robert Wexler - FL
James Langevin -RI
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR00065:mad:@@P

Letters, phone calls, and emails DO make a difference. Instead of typing another post here about your feelings on the issue, why not type one out to the people that actually have direct input on it.

http://www.house.gov/transportation/

I see Duke Cunnningham was one of the cosponsors. I guess that one is withdrawn also.

tailhookah said:
Just let me fly until the mandatory federal retirement age... not some arbitrary age agreed upon over 3 decades ago. It's age discrimination... black and white.

Tail

Moving the age to 65/67 is just as arbitrary. You can fly up to the mandatory federal retirement age now!!:confused:

Latest resources

Back