Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Dan,

How about we extend the retirement age for policemen and firemen too? Would you like a 60 year old fireman carrying you out of a burning building down a flight of stairs? It would be dangerous. Not all of them are out of shape or weak, but most probably are. Same with pilots. After 30 years or more of flying, the reflexes go, and so does the hearing. It is best for everyone that they leave and not have the responsibility of carrying around 200-250 people etc. If they want to fly corporate or for fun, they should go for it, since it would likely involve less lives in the back.

The only reason this whole deal is being brought up really is because some pilots are now having problems with their pensions. This is a good lesson for everyone, to create your own portfolio, instead of hoping a faulty promise will come through. Our "excuse" for wanting to upgrade faster is equal to your "excuse" about not planning for yourself outside of company promises. The rule is there for a reason, and the Supreme Court ruled against those Southwest pilots who sued for discrimination.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Pretty much describes an Airtan pilot!

if you are better off or just don't want to fly past 60, it's america... you don't have to. Go become a burger flipper for all I care.
You have the same option. Practice this, "Do you want to supersize it, sir?" You are naive if you think we will be able to retire at 60 or better yet,55, if the rules change. Many have lives outside of aviation and don't wish to fly until death. Furthermore, you can still practice your trade just not in 121. It doesn't improve safety and it won't change for purely financial convenience of a few or the lack of self worth for those who have no identity outside of being a "pilot". Start savin' and sell the bimmer, you aren't fooling anyone about being rich.

There was time when certain people of color new their place was in the back of the bus. Things change for the better sometimes.

Holy schnikey. Surely you aren't comparing the age 60 rule to racial segregation? How about a Million Sexagenarian March on Washington?
"Swing Low, Sweet Boeing Bus, comin' for to fund my loans....." :)

Phaedrus said:
Holy schnikey. Surely you aren't comparing the age 60 rule to racial segregation? How about a Million Sexagenarian March on Washington?
"Swing Low, Sweet Boeing Bus, comin' for to fund my loans....." :)
ny

Very funny! Of course not the latter was criminal, the age 60 deal is a joke in comparrison.

Dan Roman said:
Very well said tail, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with as thoughtful and balanced arguement for keeping 60 in place. So far all I'm hearing from those opposed to changing this discrimination are that they want to upgrade sooner and could care less about the thousands of pilots who have had a major wrench thrown into their retirement planning.

Every pilot of every age has had a major wrench thrown in our retirement planning. I'm sorry you had your money stolen, but changing the rules so you can replace it by stealing mine doesn't make you any better than them. A balanced playing field isn't a balanced enough argument?

Also, It's already stood up to age discrimination test:
In Professional Pilots Federation (PPF) v. FAA, 118 F.3d at 763 (D.C. Cir. 1997), the court held that, “nothing in the ADEA can plausibly be read to restrict the FAA from making age a criterion for employment when it acts in its capacity as the guarantor of public safety in the air…therefore, we conclude that the ADEA does not limit the authority of the FAA to prescribe a mandatory retirement age for pilots.”

Spooky 1 said:
There was time when certain people of color new their place was in the back of the bus. Things change for the better sometimes.

Are you for changing the rule to the arbitrary age of 65, or do you support having no mandatory retirement age?

Do you support bring back guys that have already retired but are still under 65?

General Lee said:
Dan,

How about we extend the retirement age for policemen and firemen too? Would you like a 60 year old fireman carrying you out of a burning building down a flight of stairs? It would be dangerous. Not all of them are out of shape or weak, but most probably are. Same with pilots. After 30 years or more of flying, the reflexes go, and so does the hearing. It is best for everyone that they leave and not have the responsibility of carrying around 200-250 people etc. If they want to fly corporate or for fun, they should go for it, since it would likely involve less lives in the back.

The only reason this whole deal is being brought up really is because some pilots are now having problems with their pensions. This is a good lesson for everyone, to create your own portfolio, instead of hoping a faulty promise will come through. Our "excuse" for wanting to upgrade faster is equal to your "excuse" about not planning for yourself outside of company promises. The rule is there for a reason, and the Supreme Court ruled against those Southwest pilots who sued for discrimination.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You know what General, I don't give a darn what age the guy or gal is as long as they are capable of doing the job, and that is just the point we are discussing. You might be an awsome specimen of an airline pilot, but in means nothing in the final argument. Either you can do it, or you can't. Financial planning or a lack of it, has nothing to do with one ability fly an airplane. Your opinion of yourself is way over inflated as it does not take anything as special as you think, to fly an airplane.

tailhookah said:
Just let me fly until the mandatory federal retirement age... agreed upon over 3 decades ago.
Tail

When you filter that last sentence down to just the Facts, you make my point perfectly.

The Mandatory Federal Retirement age, agreed upon over 3 decades ago is 60. Nobody is trying to lower it, so you're currently getting what you want.

Spooky 1 said:
You know what General, I don't give a darn what age the guy or gal is as long as they are capable of doing the job, and that is just the point we are discussing. You might be an awsome specimen of an airline pilot, but in means nothing in the final argument. Either you can do it, or you can't. Financial planning or a lack of it, has nothing to do with one ability fly an airplane. Your opinion of yourself is way over inflated as it does not take anything as special as you think, to fly an airplane.

Doubtful.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back