• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA looking to capture more Capt seats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you guys ever stop and think that SWA Mgmt crafted the SLI and got exactly what they wanted? Maybe Mgmt never wanted a pilot to go directly to a Capt seat at SWA? Maybe they wanted everyone to be an FO for at least a short period of time?
From a CEO point of view...
Argue on but nothing is gonna change--mergers suck!

Oh really? So Gary gave us exactly what we wanted - seniority, right? If what you say is correct, then you are just as ill/mis-informed as Scoreboard. If we got seniority, then why am I still taking a 3 year seniority hit? Answer that.

You negotiated AND overwhelmingly agreed to a deal that got you more seniority than SL9. How is that mis informed?

As for the MEC, they did exactly what they were supposed to do...they voted down an SLI that was blatently unfair to the ATN pilots in terms of seniority loss.

So, where's the beef? I was responding to the pay issue that fam62 mentioned. You had pay parity in the deal that was turned down.

And let us not forget that seniority is everything, no matter what airline you work for.

Exactly. You guys wanted more seniority, and you got it, which means we lost more. Someone had to give, and we gave. Sorry it wasn't enough for you. Shoulda voted no.

I'll bet if we took a poll of every pissed off pilot on the 2 lists, the pissed off SWA guys would outnumber the pissed off AT guys by a large margin. This deal isn't good for ANY of us, except the few SW FOs that will get an upgrade........

Sure, the pay was there in SLI 1, as it should be, but that never should have been an issue. Same pay for same work. Got a problem with that? SWAPA committed a cardinal sin by allowing a B-scale on property.

I completely agree about the pay scale thing, but SWApA had less say in this matter than AT did. That was GARY'S doing through and through. You guys told him that they didn't care about the pay, so he gave you more seniority and took the pay (that you didn't care about) away.

Where the MEC did screw up was in allowing SLI 2 to go to a membership vote. If SLI 1 was so disgusting that the MEC voted it down, why wouldn't you vote down SLI 2 which was even more abhorrent? They should have said, "F-this, we're going straight to arbitration" and let a neutral 3rd party decide this.

We vote yes for anything put in front of us, which explains our 84%. If SL10 was so heinous, why did you guys vote for it by 84%?

The bottom line? The AT deal is going to go down in history as the biggest mistake that SWA has ever made.

It's not yours or my fault. Gary did this to ALL of us.

This place has gone into free fall in the last year or so.

Believe me, you guys aren't the only ones getting screwed in this mess!

AT Pilot: Blah, Blah, Blah

SWA Pilot: Blah, Blah, Blah

All of us have our own reasons to be po'ed at this deal. AT looks at it one way and SWA pilots look at it a different way. Guess what....here is a little secret....no one, and I mean no one is going to convince the other side that their plight is more significant. So that in mind....gripe, moan, and complain all you want but remember that all you are doing is raising your own blood pressure. So you can join the team, re-shape what the new team is going to look like, or take some other path. Bottom line is the deal is in place and nothing is going to change it. You can come to work with a smile or a frowny face....it is your career.

Enjoy your day ladies....

All of us have our own reasons to be po'ed at this deal. AT looks at it one way and SWA pilots look at it a different way. Guess what....here is a little secret....no one, and I mean no one is going to convince the other side that their plight is more significant. So that in mind....gripe, moan, and complain all you want but remember that all you are doing is raising your own blood pressure. So you can join the team, re-shape what the new team is going to look like, or take some other path. Bottom line is the deal is in place and nothing is going to change it. You can come to work with a smile or a frowny face....it is your career.

Yup.... :beer:

Exactly!

Spot on.

somebody that actually gets it. i plan on doing just that. i will be pulling gear with weekends, holidays and any other day i care to take off while the new captains are sitting reserve till he!! freezes over. i am truly not bitter anymore. i have found my happy place. this is going to be one great part time job.

Well SWAPA if you get forced into concessions, it is still a pay raise for us b-scale trannies. We are 1740 pilots that have been trashed like second class pilots. If SWAPA ends up in a protracted fight with management in negotiations, say bye bye to us FAG pilots supporting SWAPA. We may only be 25% your size now, but every year many more SW pilots retire than Airtran. Hence every year you will have a larger % of Airtran pilots. I cant believe that 10 months after the SLI is done SWAPA continued every divisive tactic to fan the flames. I look forward to retirements knowing that our influence grows.
Dude, you need to take a math class, as time goes AT pilot percentage of group will shrink, SWA pilots will be hired to replace ALL retirements. Maybe thats why you voted for lower wages?

Last edited:
Chances are the guy sitting to your left had next to nothing to do with putting you in your current situation and he probably just wants to enjoy his Starbucks and get to the hotel on time (or if it's a PM trip, anywhere less than 2 hours late).
True story.

Latest resources

Back