SWA to speed up Airtran integration.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL,

The hiring differences between both airlines was pretty stark, so I'm not sure that's a road you really want to venture down.

I will say there are some awesome guys at Airtran and I'm glad they will be Southwest pilots. They endured more pain from that horrible management team than should have been allowed. And yes, I'm sure there are plenty of AAI guys that are disgruntled with SW management for how this played out. But when on the line at SW, it's a great experience. Nothing comes close in my opinion (even though you might not like the trips). The flexiblity, pay, and over QOL is incredible.

"I personally hope you guys hold the line. At this point, aside from the money SWA has in the bank and company stability, the pay is really the only thing to look forward to out of all this. I really hope we don't lose the flexibility of trip trading and that guys want to get rid of their "unproductive trips" to me and want my productive ones. You know, those terrible unproductive SJU, AUA, PUJ, MBJ, soon to be Rio, Cartagena, etc. :D"

Lear, virtually all labor groups at SWA are or about to be in negotiations at the same time...VDV has spelled out his goals...my personal interpretation as it apples to the pilot group is that those pilots who call in sick a lot and/or are used to flying at "premium" rates will be most impacted...the challenge in convincing the rank and file within SWAPA will be the perceived "loss of flexibility" and the notion the company has a revenue problem not a cost problem...

Not only did SWA management craft the SLI, they decided to keep the two pilot groups seperate for at least three years after acheiving single operating certificate. Somewhat sadistic in my opinion.
You see, now thats a hummer, although way to heavy a version for my tastes...

"I personally hope you guys hold the line. At this point, aside from the money SWA has in the bank and company stability, the pay is really the only thing to look forward to out of all this. I really hope we don't lose the flexibility of trip trading and that guys want to get rid of their "unproductive trips" to me and want my productive ones. You know, those terrible unproductive SJU, AUA, PUJ, MBJ, soon to be Rio, Cartagena, etc. :D"

Lear, virtually all labor groups at SWA are or about to be in negotiations at the same time...VDV has spelled out his goals...my personal interpretation as it apples to the pilot group is that those pilots who call in sick a lot and/or are used to flying at "premium" rates will be most impacted...the challenge in convincing the rank and file within SWAPA will be the perceived "loss of flexibility" and the notion the company has a revenue problem not a cost problem...
I disagree, this a shot across the bow of ground ops and FA's. They need the flexibility to hire part-timers to fill holes during peak times, something their contract now prevents. They need to correct the outrageous sick call abuse over holidays and bad weather events. (Going to snow in MDW? Call in sick for two days and miss it all). They need FA's who fly, and not give away their line and use the benefits and drive up training costs. They need the FA's to realize they need to fly their line, not dump it back into their trade system and bid it back at two or three times premium. Pilots have a sick rate below 7 percent, much lower than any other union on property and we have the 65 year olds. Pilots are not the issue here.

Scoreboard, you are exactly right. There are plenty of areas that need work. I don't see much fat to be trimmed on the pilot side. Other work groups have plenty of pork built in. We need to lean it out.

Scoreboard, you are exactly right. There are plenty of areas that need work. I don't see much fat to be trimmed on the pilot side.

You guys are in for a rude awakening. :laugh:

PCL has all the answers with his vast experience.

You guys are in for a rude awakening. :laugh:

Don't interrupt the unicorns at feeding time, there's a shortage of stardust predicted. I guess the world ends tonight anyways, why didn't I liquidate my 401K?

You see, now thats a hummer, although way to heavy a version for my tastes...

It was time for a new avatar. My property book says I'm spposed to have M998's which is the soft top, soft skinned version that would be alot more mission friendly for the domestic operation mision we will have this year. Instead I get these heavy, uparmored 1165s that are harder to see out of. I guess if we respond to total civil unrest we will be in good hands.

Latest resources

Back