• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to speed up Airtran integration.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People don't make guarantee at SWA either. The AVG Trip credit per month is 107 per pilot. Run the numbers on that.

So you average 92 hrs of block EVERY MONTH amongst all your pilots? Because that's what 107 TFP works out to without premium pay and that sounds like one miserable life to me, not to mention that would be over 1,000 hrs block per year (almost 1,100).

The actual hour average for SWA is much lower once you exclude POT, just like you exclude green slip flying at Delta to compare contracts. Actual W-2 at the end of the year is important of course, but there's a lot of people who don't chase premium time and they compare straight numbers on an average paying line.

No pilot makes guarantee. I'm one of the laziest pilots you'll ever find, and even I don't make guarantee.

This is EXACTLY what I said in my post.

Read Roughnecks comment. In the summer, the lines run 100-104. It is simple to do 110tpf a month. SIMPLE. And that's not even looking at POT. I don't even open up the Open Time window.

Even at 110 a month, your home alot.

110 a month is $14,612/month. No premium pay, no green slip, no anything. I agree that most DL guys don't fly min. That's in my post as well.

Lear, one thing you might not realize is that the longer legs are worth more per hour. On top of that, there is plenty of soft credit with the rigs. When we start a line of flying at say 104tfp, I can guarantee you that it's only going to go up.....if you do nothing other than fly your line. It NEVER goes down.

Throw in a sweet vacation overlap pull on both ends, and lucrative pay during your training month (if that's what you want) and your averages for the year go up dramatically. But again, if you don't want to work hard, or don't want to bust your butt on your training/vacation month...then don't. The flexiblity is awesome.

Another side note, I believe you guys come over with your full longevity. So even some of the most junior will bring over 3 weeks of vacation and all the benefits that comes with that. You can even trade your vacation if you want. Do it trip at a time, etc, etc, etc.

And believe me, I do not work the system. Just bid what I can hold and pick up wisely.

Last edited:
Lear, on my board when I average 110-115TFP I only fly 78-84 hard hours, not 95. It's not just TFP to hourly, t's Deadheads, etc...

I forgot that the longer legs are more TFP than straight conversion ratio. My bad. :)

Anything over 80 hrs of block is a hard working month in my book. 75-78 hrs sounds pretty good and yes, we bring over our longevity for everything pay and vacay related, so 3 wks to use.

PCL_128, when are you officially not an ALPA pilot? I'm sure SWAPA is the surviving entity? I'll bring you whatever you need to get through not being ALPA anymore. Anti-depressants, defibrillator, sympathy ice cream, whatever you need. Your withdrawal symptoms are gonna be bad.

There is a lot that goes into TFP like overlap, vacation bids, training, etc. If you want to average that all into pay per hour, I averaged 183 a block hour as a first officer.

Lear.... you don't know the Southwest Airlines Job.

Much like we don't understand how HAPPY you guys really were at Tranny or even how to fly outside the lower 48. Its a good job, and most of you guys will like it and realize that you had no clue as to what you were posting here.

I have a Tranny buddy that is having a rough transition to SWA.... complaining about "working too much'' etc... I looked at his schedule and realized he has no idea how our open time system works. Not a clue. He is picking up junk, almost no one here would fly. He has seniority here via the SLI and is not using it. I bought this up and he said "yeah, yeah"

A former Tranny in DEN has however figured out our open time system and recently outbid me for a sweet charter. Ask him if its working for him..... he was smiling when I talked to him.

Lear.... you don't know the Southwest Airlines Job.

Much like we don't understand how HAPPY you guys really were at Tranny or even how to fly outside the lower 48. Its a good job, and most of you guys will like it and realize that you had no clue as to what you were posting here.

I have a Tranny buddy that is having a rough transition to SWA.... complaining about "working too much'' etc... I looked at his schedule and realized he has no idea how our open time system works. Not a clue. He is picking up junk, almost no one here would fly. He has seniority here via the SLI and is not using it. I bought this up and he said "yeah, yeah"

A former Tranny in DEN has however figured out our open time system and recently outbid me for a sweet charter. Ask him if its working for him..... he was smiling when I talked to him.
Fair enough.

That was my New Year's Resolution. No more SLI talk, it's just making me pi$$ed off and not helping me move on. I've vented, said my peace, and want to try to put it behind me and approach the transition (once I have to come over) with an open mind.

Figure a year of not getting wound up over stuff (even the crap Max posts) and just letting it go, while flying the easy trips and just taking it easy, collecting the check, and going home will help when it comes time to do my two months in Dallas, that and letting all the junior people come over first and plug the holes in reserve lines and junior lines in West Coast bases.

It'll all work out, just gotta figure out how to manage my newly-moved cheese. ;)

Latest resources

Back