• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just can't believe that one week is going to translate into such a ridiculous difference in seniority.

Pool date and hire date dont go hand in hand. Well it does, but not like you are thinking. You might get hired a year after your buddy, but it won't be a huge differnce in seniority. I know guys who spent 2 years in the pool at SWA and are only a few numbers senior to guys who interviewed 2 years later because SWA didn't hire inbetween.

If you have your type, your place is set. It may take you awhile to get a class at SWA, but you won't be far behind your buddy, even if time passes between his hire date and yours. If you sit in the pool, its because SWA wasn't hiring. When they do, you will still hold your place in line. If they only hire 50 guys this year, you will be hired a year after your buddy, but won't be more than 50 numbers behind him

It may have been mentioned but your place in line in the pool is pretty much the order they call for class but the People department does make some adjustments at times to get the right 'mix' into a class (age/mil/civ/scholarship/??/who knows), or so I've heard. I have no inside scoop. It will be interesting to see where guys go who got 60ied out and reapply as FOs.

Bill is correct. I spent 2 years 2 months in the pool and got hired 10 months after a friend of mine but he is only 30 numbers or so in front of me. So for pay, he gets paid at the one year higher pay scale, but for bidding and QOL purposes we are almost identical in what we can get even though we were hired almost a year apart.

If you have a good job currently, waiting in the pool isn't such a bad deal from a guy who did it. If you end up getting hired when our next (??) big hiring wave starts, you'll accrue seniority for QOL purposes quickly. Assuming SWA is still where you want to be and that SWA is still a good place to be 10 or 20 years from now.

I just can't believe that one week is going to translate into such a ridiculous difference in seniority.

Pool date and hire date dont go hand in hand. Well it does, but not like you are thinking. You might get hired a year after your buddy, but it won't be a huge differnce in seniority. I know guys who spent 2 years in the pool at SWA and are only a few numbers senior to guys who interviewed 2 years later because SWA didn't hire inbetween.

If you have your type, your place is set. It may take you awhile to get a class at SWA, but you won't be far behind your buddy, even if time passes between his hire date and yours. If you sit in the pool, its because SWA wasn't hiring. When they do, you will still hold your place in line. If they only hire 50 guys this year, you will be hired a year after your buddy, but won't be more than 50 numbers behind him

I understand all that. I was just pointing out the fact that this could potentially open up the floodgates for a bunch of >60 guys to slot in between us. If the PD is filling the March class with 20, who is to say that 100 more won't decide to go back to work?

How many 60+ retired captains are going to come back to spend weekends sitting reserve in Oakland for 1st year FO pay? It seems like it would be tough to go back to that lifestyle after sitting on top of the senority list for so long.

>>>>>It seems like it would be tough to go back to that lifestyle after sitting on top of the senority list for so long.<<<<

Maybe, but for some it beats the hell out of sitting around the house 7 days a week with a nagging non-stop talking wrinkled wife watching game shows and soap operas and going to garage sales with her for some excitement on an occasional Saturday.

I understand all that. I was just pointing out the fact that this could potentially open up the floodgates for a bunch of >60 guys to slot in between us. If the PD is filling the March class with 20, who is to say that 100 more won't decide to go back to work?

I'm not feeling the LUV if this is gonna happen. Are 60+ guys "interviewing" right now? What has SWAPA said about this issue. Does any decision have to be voted on by the pilots? If so, throw us a bone guys, and put them behind the poolies.

RM

I'm not feeling the LUV if this is gonna happen. Are 60+ guys "interviewing" right now? What has SWAPA said about this issue. Does any decision have to be voted on by the pilots? If so, throw us a bone guys, and put them behind the poolies.

RM

uh-oh...do I detect some contention arising in the pool?

Please pour this misguided soul some extra-strength kool-aid...STAT.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike jke406, he has had some valid points on the SWA pool front. SWA owes a poolie absolutely nothing. Once you have a seniority number, different story. So, pushing retired guys in front of a poolie after they "reinterview" is well within thier rights. Some of these old guys were some of the original guys. So I'm sure there is more loyalty to those guys who were with them for over 30 years, than the guys that spent a day at headquarters being interviewed.

I heard only about 2 dozen or so are coming back as of right now. Granted, the way training is going that may be two months more of a delay for you guys.

As for the question about coming back to first year pay...some of these guys probably just look at it like a part time job. Beats being a greater at Wal-Mart. This probably just buys them a few more years to where they don't have to dip into their 401K or Roth IRA.

Latest resources

Back