• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like LUV is going to import some HATE into the mix.

What do you think a poolie will do when faced with a class date that keeps sliding right as older guys jump in front of the line? At what point would a number 300 guy tear up that lottery ticket?

Tough times. Great people on all sides--but a nasty situation. I wish all the poolies the very best...

Has anyone heard on a Mar date? PD told me to call them next week, but I was just wondering. Hang in there, guys!

Between 40-50 +60 guys.girls. They can be interviewed in a week (probably no LOI). Background check will be very quick. Posing their names for comment will take more time than anything else. They will be given a good picture of what their seniority/advancement will be over the next 4-5 years. Anyone's guess as to how many will reconsider if offered a class.

I still think some of these guys think that somehow they will slide over to the left seat...They will find out that the company that they retired from is not the same one that they reapplied to. It is different when you get to chose your capt line vs. commuting to OAK to sit reserve. Remember, no one picks up that weekend trash that they will be getting!

From another forum...looks like Tanker Clown was right again.

Dear Southwest Airlines Pilot Poolie,
We recently mailed you a copy of the December issue of LUVLines, and we hope you’re
enjoying it and that it’s helped you to learn more about the Southwest operation, Culture, and
Family. As you know, we have committed to keeping you informed of your status in our hiring
pool, and of any events that might effect your potential class dates. I’m sure that you are aware
of the recent passing of H.R. 4343, The Fair Treatment of Experienced Pilots Act. As a
Company, we are pleased to be able to keep some of our most experienced and capable Pilots
flying for us, and since the signing of the bill, we have had a Team working on the process
involved in the rehiring of our retired Captains who are interested in returning to Southwest.
The goal of this Team has been to do the right thing for everyone involved: our current Pilots,
our retired Pilots, and you, our future Southwest Pilot Candidates. We know that this particular
issue evokes a wide range of emotions in Pilots, but we wanted to personally share with you
what decisions we have made, and our hope is that you will see the reasons for, and value in,
our choices.
We are excited to be able to offer the opportunity for our interested, retired Pilots (who
meet all of our current requirements) to interview for a First Officer position, pursuant to the
terms of H.R. 4343. Those retired Pilots who wish to apply will be interviewing with us in
February, and if they successfully complete the selection process, they will be placed in the first
available class.
We do understand that this could affect your potential class date, and we ask
for your understanding and patience in reaching your goal of becoming a part of our outstanding
group of professional aviators. As soon as we know how many Pilots will be rehired, we will
advise you as to if and how this affects your potential class date.
We know this news might be disappointing for you, but we suspect that it won’t come as
too great a surprise to those who have a good understanding of our commitment to taking care
of our Family, and we hope you’ll keep in mind that this same level of commitment and concern
will also be afforded to you when you become a member of the Southwest Family. Meanwhile,
we want you to know that throughout this process, we have given very careful consideration to
how this unprecedented set of circumstances could affect your future, and we have done our
best to do the right thing. We truly appreciate your continued interest in becoming a part of the
Southwest Family, and we thank you for your patience as we bring Pilots onboard this year to
meet the hiring needs of the Company. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you
have.
Sincerely,
The People and Flight Operations Departments

Last edited:
I don't know why people never believe me. Whatever. I'll keep you all posted on anything else that comes down the pipe. Looks to me like if you are at the bottom of the pool you should plan to wait another year or so.

I've got several friends in the pool...in both the deep and shallow ends. So I write this trying to avoid sounding like I'm rubbing salt into the wounds...that is NOT the case...

SWA is faced with a choice. Be loyal to a bunch of folks who've spent a lot of time, money, and effort to join the team...or loyal to some guys who helped build the airline into what it is today. I think anyone who'd want to go back to the bottom of seniority list at age 60 obviously has some issues...either personal or financial...but it is their choice with the law change.

The hard, cold lesson I see in this situation or any other "pool" or "awaiting class" situation is you have NOTHING from the company but a promise. And that promise can be broken in a heartbeat when things change. As much as you want to feel "special" while waiting for a class, you have no ID, no insurance, no seniority number, and no union protection. You have no legal rights (as far as I know) against being hired in any order the company chooses to use.

So--what do you do in a pool? If you happy where you are...maybe nothing. If you are unhappy or hoping for bigger and better things...you better consider throwing out apps while you tread. How many line numbers could some of you have gotten if you were at CAL, DAL, NetJets, or another carrier right now? While it might seem "nasty" to go somewhere else and quit in a year or two to go to SWA, there is always a chance you won't. I know a few folks who are now at DAL that were in the SWA pool at one point. I suspect several of them will stay there when they finally get the invite. For those who think that type of thinking is "disloyal"...what has loyalty to a company that just put 40-60 folks in front of you got you?

SWA is a great company that runs a lean business. They will run as lean as they can to ensure their margins stay right and they make money in a tough market. You are expendable--until you are on the team. Plan accordingly. I am willing to be that a super long swim in the pool might equal another short pass through HR for an interview. Why? Well...if they'd interview a guy who was working there for years before rehiring him, what do you think they will do if you are in the pool for 2-3 years?

Again--not trying to wish bad on anyone. Just trying to remind some of you to stay agile and consider all your options. I wish all of you the very best.

I really don't think there is anything "disloyal" or "dishonest" about picking up a paycheck at Delta or some other place until SWA calls. I agree with Albie on this. Airlines have shown how loyal and honest they can be to pilots by furloughing, cutting pay, and taking exec bonuses. If you have a family to feed, go and pick up a paycheck for a year. It's no more dishonest or disloyal as grabbing a guard or reserve job while on probation. Your kids gotta eat.

Good points there, however SWA isn't one of those dumpy airlines that cut pay, award ridiculous bonuses to execs, or furlough.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back