• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
March class is likely to be mostly the returning 60+ guys and girls. Same new hire training as anyone off the street, but may not have first 100 hour landing restrictions.

March class will probably not be the 60+ guys because that process is just now getting started and they still have to go through the hiring process. Not all obviously will be hired. Flt Ops just had the meeting yesterday about this subject.....

Well thats a good way to weed the bad ones out, but what a slap in the face! Work at SWA for 30 years and now you can't get rehired to be an FO. Ouch.

Well thats a good way to weed the bad ones out, but what a slap in the face! Work at SWA for 30 years and now you can't get rehired to be an FO. Ouch.

Each his own and God love'em, but why would someone work say 20 plus years, be realtively high in seniority and pay, be forced to retire (age 60), and then come back at the bottom of the list in pay and seniority, in a slow, if not stagnant hiring situation?
I mean I love to fly, but I really don't understand that one. Is there a hidden benefit that I am missing? Do you get to keep seniority or pay? What reason and Why?

Each his own and God love'em, but why would someone work say 20 plus years, be realtively high in seniority and pay, be forced to retire (age 60), and then come back at the bottom of the list in pay and seniority, in a slow, if not stagnant hiring situation?
I mean I love to fly, but I really don't understand that one. Is there a hidden benefit that I am missing? Do you get to keep seniority or pay? What reason and Why?

I had the exact same question. From what I've heard there was a lot of interest from the 60+ crowd initially but once they found out they would be an FO sitting reserve in Oakland/Vegas for the next year not that many are interested. I've heard no more than 20 but who knows for sure. That being said, I can't believe it's even that many. The only benefit I can see is the great health plan and maybe the 401k for a few more years, but they should be multi-millionares if they've been flying with SWA for the past 20 years. The other answer is that they ARE multi-millionares, love the company and just want to stay active for a few more years before they start golfing every day.

I guess they figure a couple more years of 50k-100k earnings is that much less they have to drain out of their retirement.

Who knows. My friend who is a 16 year Capt says he only personally knows of one guy who is reapplying.

Because they have no life. Or they think they will weasal their way into the GO and get a huge raise. Who knows I am sure we now have 20 new VP's in the future.

Just because I'm a smartass I can't wait to fly with one of these guys so I can give him some "techniques" on how to fly the mighty 737.

The real question is...... why would the company even want these guys back? They are going to be here for 4.5 years max. Look at what it'll cost to train them vs. years of return.

I thought this place hired "captains", not career FO's.

Gup

I think the hiring standards at SWA have changed a little over the past 30 years. Just because you met the standard 30 years ago doesn't mean you meet today's standards. Just because you have worked somewhere for 30 years doesn't mean that you should have. Obviously SWA management realizes this, or they would take all of the guys/gals back.

Latest resources

Back