• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talked to the PD a couple days ago. They said that they discussed the age 65 bill and said it wont change much with regards to hiring this year. I guess time will tell.

Talked to the PD a couple days ago. They said that they discussed the age 65 bill and said it wont change much with regards to hiring this year. I guess time will tell.

I would be shocked if we hire more than 200 in 2008...with 4-5% growth, but only 1% aircraft growth and no retirements, this will not be a good year. I believe almost all of these old guys will stay and keep medical, vacation, and at least some pay...a CA could easily give away most of his schedule and just fly one trip a month (and some do just that now)...if you do the math, you will come to the same conclusion. Sorry for the bad news, but I'm looking at a 9-10 year upgrade myself because of this

How does SWA regard someone changing employers while being in the "pool"? Do they frown upon it or could they care less?

I don't think it matters that much, as long as it doesn't affect your availability. Give them a call to ask the question.

I asked them about taking a job requiring a contract. I was told that they are willing to talk with you about it and will hold your position for a while. How long, they didn't say--but at least they were willing to talk.

Lucky for me, I got hired with a company that doesn't require any commitment.

Latest Info/Rumor

Spoke to a friend (SWA Capt) who was in training yesterday. They were told the next class after Jan 9th will be 2nd quarter 2008.

They were also told that SWA's new hiring projection for all of 2008 was less than 150 pilots, due to reduced expansion and reduced retirements (Age 65.)

Sorry for the bad news. Hopefully it will be better than what my friend was told.

Latest resources

Back