• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
guys- we'll know when we're supposed to know- and it'll be clear. in meantime- my grandmother told me never to put all my eggs in one basket- Always keep progressing- always keep putting yourself in situations where you learn

SWA reduced fleet growth

Did anyone else see the press release where SWA announced reduced 2008 fleet growth?
New projected growth is 5 to 10 aircraft (as opposed to 19.)

Mr. Kelly just announced this morning that our growth/reduction in growth for '08 would only be "five to ten aircraft". That will definitely kick the "new hire classes" can down the road a bit.

Southwest Airlines trims its 2008 expansion plan 8:24 AM CT

[SIZE=-1]09:39 AM CST on Tuesday, December 4, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By TERRY MAXON / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
[/SIZE]

Southwest Airlines Co. said Tuesday it is cutting its planning growth in 2008 to five or 10 new airplanes, compared to the original 34 airplanes it had planned and the 19 airplanes it had retrenched to earlier in 2007.
Southwest chief executive officer Gary Kelly said the carrier's "operating revenue performance quarter-to-date has been solid rising roughly three percent per ASM on a year-over-year capacity increase of almost six percent.
"However, we are concerned about growing evidence of slowing economic growth that would inevitably affect passenger demand, coupled with a surge in energy prices," he said in a press release.
The slowing of its fleet expansion will mean that Southwest will still grow its capacity four to five percent in 2008, he said.

wow, it looks like Tanker Clown might have been right after all.

Tone, maybe you should go back to burying your head in the sand when you hear bad news. great plan.

As for you ordering someone not to post on a public forum...what a tool. this ain't the AF any more, bud.

Last edited:
Anybody want to guess what this does to the prospect of classes in Jan?

Depends if they are short on FO's right now. If so, slowing growth will only slightly decrease the numbers I would imagine. More like 2 classes a month vs. 3.

Heard from Orlando CP this morning that he thinks it will be more like 3-5 new planes next year. Said that they would only need 250 pilots max next year if that holds up? I don't like the sound of that for sure. There not even going to empty the pool next year unless the price of oil comes down! I'm sure hoping this all changes as next year comes around, but it doesn't look good for people in the bottom of the pool. Let alone the people that haven't interviewed yet!?!

The word I heard today is 3 classes in Jan of 24 each. I've heard of dates, but I'll wait to see what others hear. PD had off today, but will be back tomorrow.

My guess is even with slowed growth, training will start in Jan, but probably end sometime during the year (like '07). I have no clue what will happen to interviews.

Latest resources

Back